PDA

View Full Version : Best Convertible Comps

cpalcott
10-15-2007, 08:03 AM
What are the best "convertible" comps, where you have the option of mounting the tweeter coaxially? What's the best bang for the buck set? Would like to stay under $500. Would feed them with 100-150 watts. I have a 2002 Saturn SL1 with a pair of Polk DB675 coaxials. Will I hear noticeable sound improvement with an upgrade? I plan to dampen with second skin damplifier pro and some overkill 2.

Boston Acoustics Pro60
CDT Braxials
Image Dynamics XS-65
Precision Power 356cs
Cerwin vega V-Max-65
Polk SR

Any I am missing?

genxx
10-15-2007, 08:26 AM
I would deaden first and improve the install portion. Then if you are not happy try an upgrade.IMO Comps generally will improve you overall sound stage but they are also generally more install dependent also.IMO

Gary S
10-15-2007, 09:30 AM
What Genxx said is most important.

Precision Power 356cs or Cerwin vega V-Max-65 would be the best value from your list, in your power range. PPI is a soft dome, Cerwin's have a metal tweeter, so they will have a different flavor of sound to them. I like the Cerwin's myself, but I like metal domes. The PPI has the latest cone technology. But the Cerwin Vega mid-bass driver cone is no slouch either... it's not a poly cone... it's pressed carbon fiber... has the detail of fiberglass cones with extra damping/midbass. You can see the raw fibers here where the light shines on the cone at the right angle: http://www.cerwin-vega.com/images/download/mobile/vmax/v-max%205.jpg

Etac
10-15-2007, 08:35 PM
memphis mclass are convertable as well