PDA

View Full Version : home speakers in a car?

javig999
10-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Got some M&K's sitting in the garage...could i use them in a car if I wanted to? I've got a set of S-150's (3 tweeters + 2 x 5.25 mids per speaker), M&K PRO MPS-1610 studio monitors (1 tweeter + 1 6.5 mid per speaker), and one SS-5000THX that I could pull drivers from (2 x tweeters + 2 x 6.5 mids).

Glad to hear thoughts on this. Did a quick search but could not find it...

Thank you all!

Makaveli7haDon
10-15-2007, 01:38 AM
sure....dont forget a denon receiver too. Are you serious? they are not meant to be in a car as they are not designed to be in a automotive environment, why do you think they made car audio?

mjf
10-15-2007, 01:43 AM
sure....dont forget a denon receiver too. Are you serious? they are not meant to be in a car as they are not designed to be in a automotive environment, why do you think they made car audio?

you're an idiot.:rolleyes:

people use stuff like eminence and the like all the time in car audio, just because its placing is different wont mean it will magically preform differently.

you can put home audio in a car, will it sound good? chances are no.

Makaveli7haDon
10-15-2007, 01:49 AM
you're an idiot.:rolleyes:

people use stuff like eminence and the like all the time in car audio, just because its placing is different wont mean it will magically preform differently.

you can put home audio in a car, will it sound good? chances are no.

I didn't say anything about placement. What I meant was home speakers were not designed to withstand heat and UV rays like car speakers. They also are not optimized acoustically to be in a car. Sure you can use home audio drivers but they are much different than DIY car audio drivers and you have to be a audio expert to design your own crossovers and such.

mapolley07
10-15-2007, 01:50 AM
another issue is the durability of the drivers. typically automotive speakers are designed to withstand the extreme temperatures, weather, vibrations, etc. that are present in an automotive application. home speakers are designed to be in a solid enclosure, dry, room temperature, average humidity, etc. They are not made as physically durable as car speakers.

alphakenny1
10-15-2007, 02:21 AM
while it is very true what has been said about home drivers being not designed for car doors, not designed to handle the environment of a car, etc. Using home drivers can be used effectively in a car if you know what you are doing. really no need to design passive crossovers, just go active :). there is actually a dedicated website that mainly uses home audio drivers in their cars, www. diymobileaudio.com. maybe give them a visit and maybe it'll changes your guys minds about home drivers being used in cars ;).

many world champs use scan speak revelators and seas excel drivers in their cars to win competitions.

Makaveli7haDon
10-15-2007, 02:41 AM
while it is very true what has been said about home drivers being not designed for car doors, not designed to handle the environment of a car, etc. Using home drivers can be used effectively in a car if you know what you are doing. really no need to design passive crossovers, just go active :). there is actually a dedicated website that mainly uses home audio drivers in their cars, www. diymobileaudio.com. maybe give them a visit and maybe it'll changes your guys minds about home drivers being used in cars ;).

many world champs use scan speak revelators and seas excel drivers in their cars to win competitions.

that was what I was referring to when I said DIY drivers in my post. But those people are a select few with lots of knowledge of car audio and most people wouldn't be able to put together a system like them or let alone afford them.

genxx
10-15-2007, 05:14 AM
that was what I was referring to when I said DIY drivers in my post. But those people are a select few with lots of knowledge of car audio and most people wouldn't be able to put together a system like them or let alone afford them.

Not true on pricing. You can put together a great set of comps for little cash. Actually DIY is growing and you would be suprised how many are using them now. Most people started out not knowing anything and have researched and started out DIY. You can learn enough on diymobileaudio.com to get you up to speed and have at it. So you do not need to be an expert or car audio veteran to go DIY. It does require going active though which IMO is awsome. I used passive for years and now I am active and would never go back.

Example of going DIY.
HU-Alpine 9887 $350.00
Tweeters-Seas Neo $60.00 pair
Mids-Seas ER18 $140.00 pair
AMP-Cadence TXA-3004 $129.00
Complete set-up total-$700.00 now just add in you choice of sub and amp and you can still be in at or under $1000 total

Grap you a TXA-3002 with a couple RE Audio RE 10 running the TXA-3002 @ 2ohm per channel for 300 x 2 @2ohm

Total $950.00 and have one **** nice sounding set-up IMO

Here are the speaker links for you.
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8181&osCsid=a0f1175b640719189c95d00d41c84ed7
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=633

javig999
10-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Thank you all for your comments.

I used to run Vifa drivers with custom passive x-overs that Speaker City (Burbank, CA) built. It was very cost effective and sounded good.

The question was posed merely as a result of some pretty decent speakers just gathering dust in the garage and custom installs I had seen using home speaker drivers.

Best to all...

79corona
10-15-2007, 12:09 PM
It's a free country, you can do anything you **** well please.