PDA

View Full Version : car audio vs home audio

Imshirazy
10-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Hey guys, some kids are talking about car audio vs. home audio in another forum and i'm hearing things i never heard before, can you guys clarify this for me?

Car audio speakers are better than home audio because they can better withstand UV, road vibrations and higher amounts of heat

^true or not true? Please give me some facts or something too if possible, sources or w/e,
thanks!

ngsm13
10-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Hey guys, some kids are talking about car audio vs. home audio in another forum and i'm hearing things i never heard before, can you guys clarify this for me?

Car audio speakers are better than home audio because they can better withstand UV, road vibrations and higher amounts of heat

^true or not true? Please give me some facts or something too if possible, sources or w/e,
thanks!

They must be tards...

nG

docutech
10-13-2007, 11:53 PM
They must be tards...

nG

x2

What website did you find this on?

azbass
10-13-2007, 11:54 PM
car speakers are better at holding up in a harsh car environment, then home speakers, but does not mean they sound any better, etc.

Imshirazy
10-14-2007, 12:13 AM
eocf.com, computer forum, but the section is hidden unless ur a member so i had no link :/

miker
10-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Hmmm... All I know is that home audio is less focused on watts, and an average HT speaker is 8ohms.... Never heard what /\/\you said before now. Also why the hell does it matter, they are for listening to different types of sounds, and are completely un-comparable...

squeak9798
10-14-2007, 12:20 PM
car speakers are better at holding up in a harsh car environment, then home speakers, but does not mean they sound any better, etc.

I would even caution that statement.

Car audio speakers may be better at holding up to the harsher environment of of a vehicle than some home speakers.

Thousands of people have used thousands of "home audio" speakers in their vehicles with zero issues. Many of the car audio speakers on the market are simply slightly-modified home audio drivers.

There's only been a few times I can recall that I've heard of anyone having issues with "home audio" drivers in a vehicle.....and all of those actually revolve around a single product line; Scanspeak Revs. I seem to recall someone having issues with glue joints in an extremely warm environment, and another person (maybe the same person) having an issue with the cone or surround in a very warm/dry/humid environment.

azbass
10-14-2007, 12:31 PM
may be better is probably a better way to put it, yes.

hoss
10-14-2007, 12:41 PM
mobile home audio > all

79corona
10-15-2007, 01:32 PM
The entire premise is false. Home and car systems are not in competition.

MiniVanMan
10-16-2007, 12:33 PM
I've never known and car audio manufacturers to put sunscreen on their drivers. I could be wrong though.

UV protection is about the cone material. A poly coned car audio driver will not stand up to UV better than an aluminum coned home audio driver, and vice-a-versa. It's about cone material, not about whether or not it was made for a car.

Heat dissipation is all about the voice coil. That's another ridiculous statement made by those people. Some car audio drivers will have better voice coils than some home audio drivers, and vice-a-versa. You get what you pay for in this area. Granted cooling is much more important in many of the mega high output subwoofers found in car audio as their dissipating a ton of current, but that doesn't make them better. In fact, the reason you don't have subwoofers like that in home audio (typically) is you don't need them. You're not fighting the external issues that a car introduces, and thus your home audio subwoofers are MUCH more efficient (typically).

Vibrations? That's the basket. What does a good beefy basket offer? Lower Fs, or your Resonant Frequency. This is where the driver starts to vibrate, or resonate causing a huge peak in impedance, and distortion. It's been my experience that car audio offerings generally have a much higher Fs than their home audio counterparts. Not always true, but generally.

The people on that forum have no idea what they're talking about.

hoss
10-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Vibrations? That's the basket. What does a good beefy basket offer? Lower Fs, or your Resonant Frequency. This is where the driver starts to vibrate, or resonate causing a huge peak in impedance, and distortion. It's been my experience that car audio offerings generally have a much higher Fs than their home audio counterparts. Not always true, but generally.

:hilariou::hilariou::hilariou::rotflol::rotflol::h ilariou::rotflol::rotflol::laugh:

ultimate157
10-16-2007, 01:23 PM
:hilariou::hilariou::hilariou::rotflol::rotflol::h ilariou::rotflol::rotflol::laugh:

I'll second that :laugh:

WrenchGuy
10-16-2007, 01:33 PM
One thing is that HT speakers are designed slightly different for the space provided where as car audio is designed for the bunched up area of the cabin.

almond
10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
I'll second that :laugh:

lol i'll third that. maybe you should go look up what the FS is.

hoss
10-16-2007, 01:40 PM
:fyi:

car audio and home audio are one in the same... it is all an electrically driven device used to reproduce sound... the actual components themselves may be designed around different goals, but in the end, they all do the same thing...

and to the minivan guy, now that im not in such a smart *** mood :p: , ill explain a bit better.

the Fs is the resonant frequency of the driver. the drivers moving parts oscillate back and forth, which causes the moving pieces to resonate, not the basket. the only purpose of the basket is to hold the motor, and to keep the moving parts in place, nothing else. if we could mount the motor on the back of the box, there would be very little need for a basket at all :)

MiniVanMan
10-16-2007, 03:05 PM
:fyi:

car audio and home audio are one in the same... it is all an electrically driven device used to reproduce sound... the actual components themselves may be designed around different goals, but in the end, they all do the same thing...

and to the minivan guy, now that im not in such a smart *** mood :p: , ill explain a bit better.

the Fs is the resonant frequency of the driver. the drivers moving parts oscillate back and forth, which causes the moving pieces to resonate, not the basket. the only purpose of the basket is to hold the motor, and to keep the moving parts in place, nothing else. if we could mount the motor on the back of the box, there would be very little need for a basket at all :)

Okay, I'll concede that it was a very basic explanation, but I was in quite a hurry.

However, are you saying that the basket has nothing to do with how the cone will transfer vibrations to the motor? Yeah, the basket is just one part of a whole system, and I'll take the hit for simplifying that, but to say that the basket has nothing to do with the Fs of your system is flat out wrong.

Take for example the car door. We mount a speaker on the metal baffle that the car provides, and we achieve a certain resonance. We dampen the baffle area, with a good sturdy MDF baffle, and we lower resonance a bit more. We add dampening material to the entire car door, and we dampen resonance, and lower the resonant frequency of the door even more. So, if the surface the driver's "basket" is mounted to has a huge affect on the resonance of the driver, how in the hell are you going to tell me the basket has no affect on resonant frequency.

Since the basket holds the motor in place, the diaphragm in place, and the cone in place, and Fs is figured using the values of Cms, and Mms, it stands to reason that the basket can have an effect on your Fs. ESPECIALLY in a car where vibration (which is the initial argument) can introduce a ton of external vibration into the system. Generally, in free air, when being tested, a basket has no effect on how the driver will resonate as it's just a function of the diaphragm's (cone's) compliance, and the mass of the drivers suspension. Yet when we put that driver into a system (mounted in an enclosure, with real world power applied), things change dramatically.

So, yeah, when calculating Fs, we only use the Cms, and Mms values. When calculating a "system's" resonant frequency we need to include a whole lot more. When calculating a system's resonant frequency it starts at the basket. Any vibrations in the system (to include enclosure, mounting, etc) are going to first be met at the mounting surface, and that is the BASKET.

Laugh again, go ahead.