PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about spacers on top of boxes?

azngurlbaybee
03-19-2003, 10:39 PM
Okay...so check it out yo.

So I'm thinking about making a new box and it's easy enough to get the volume I want but the depth is very hard :(

What's the consensus on using some sort of "spacer" made out of MDF just for the part that's gonna be touching the mounted subwoofer?

azngurlbaybee
03-19-2003, 10:50 PM
Here's a drawing I found

evo2k3
03-20-2003, 12:07 AM
if your only talking about 3/4" that idea should work fine, make sure you lamenate that spacer to the box itself so it doesn't rattle, other than that i cannot see any problems.

azngurlbaybee
03-20-2003, 12:18 AM
Laminate? :confused:

Savant
03-20-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by azngurlbaybee

make sure it's glued VERY well.. at most points.. so it can't vibrate..

azngurlbaybee
03-20-2003, 02:16 AM
Oh ok...that makes sense

Originally posted by Savant
make sure it's glued VERY well.. at most points.. so it can't vibrate..

evo2k3
03-20-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by azngurlbaybee

when two large surface areas are glued to each other it is often refered to as laminating.

ramos
03-20-2003, 02:25 PM
Yeah man. Just use a good urethane wood glue. Spread it on both pieces. Then put them together and put something heavy on top of it to act as a press. Then once the glue dries you won't be able to get the two pieces apart. I would attach the spacer to the front panel of the box before you attach the front to rest of the box. That will make it easier to press the two pieces together. :)

Matador
03-20-2003, 06:43 PM
u would just use a spacer to decrease the mounting depth right?

n can u also nail the spacer in tehre? in addition to glue.

evo2k3
03-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Matador
n can u also nail the spacer in tehre? in addition to glue.

no point in that...your doing nothing for it...he can screw it together instead of clamps, but the glue is doing most of the holding.

FiendAZ
03-22-2003, 08:42 AM
>>n can u also nail the spacer in tehre? in addition to glue.

I am convinced, that in the world of car audio filled with bass, that nails are the devil. Think about it - the subs rattle the nail loose. The nail comes out, and possibly starts to rattle on its own. I think that screws would be a much better idea.