PDA

View Full Version : Kick panel pod vs. door

alxmlr789
10-12-2007, 05:20 PM
I have my hertz hsk165 (just the woofer) in my door right now, it is pretty well deadened.

I was thinking of making some fiberglass kick panel pods (a little less than .5 cf) for my 6.5 mids.

Can anyone tell me if the midbass is gonna overall be louder, have more of a kick to it.. and whatever else i would gain from the kick panel enclosure..

Also, how would the staging be? any better than my doors?

civicman07
10-12-2007, 05:28 PM
good question? I also thought about moving my 6 1/2 diamond comps to kicks instead of my doors.

Gary S
10-13-2007, 03:18 AM
Okay, here is the deal... in almost all vehicles, kick panels will give you better imaging and soundstage.

However, when you put speakers in your doors, you have an enclosure with plenty of air space, and the metal is fairly rigid.

IF you can get a sealed kick enclosure with enough air space, and IF the mount is rigid, you can get great midbass and better overall sound from the kick panel location. But if it's flimsy thin fiberglass/or not sealed, or the enclosure is too small, you won't have midbass.

alxmlr789
10-13-2007, 03:34 AM
Okay, here is the deal... in almost all vehicles, kick panels will give you better imaging and soundstage.

However, when you put speakers in your doors, you have an enclosure with plenty of air space, and the metal is fairly rigid.

IF you can get a sealed kick enclosure with enough air space, and IF the mount is rigid, you can get great midbass and better overall sound from the kick panel location. But if it's flimsy thin fiberglass/or not sealed, or the enclosure is too small, you won't have midbass.

They will be sealed enclosures mounted into the carpet (with a sealed back)

spudracer326
10-13-2007, 03:37 AM
great tutorial

http://www.teamaudionutz.com/tutorial/28/Kick_Panel_Fabrication_Installation_Pictures

spudracer326
10-13-2007, 03:39 AM
http://www.teamaudionutz.com/tutorial/4/Kick_Panel_Fabrication

hardhitta47
10-13-2007, 03:41 AM
I think the kicks would be better for a driver that performs better on-axis, plus it could eliminate door rattles, and allow you to fit a deeper driver than you could in your doors. If you do go with sealed kicks, try stuffing them with polyfill.

alxmlr789
10-13-2007, 04:05 AM
Its amazing how many rattles i have in my lock controls/window controls.. the buzzing. lol

req
10-13-2007, 04:35 AM
i am currently relocating a freinds midbass into his kicks for that exact reason. first we are trying like .2 cubes sealed (estimate) and if thats an issue we will vent the pod into the carpet for a quazi aperiodic type IB sorta way like that dude in the article said.

eaither way, im sure it will be better not to have those **** rattles from them locking mechinsims. that is really really annoying.

Gary S
10-13-2007, 04:56 PM
i am currently relocating a freinds midbass into his kicks for that exact reason. first we are trying like .2 cubes sealed (estimate) and if thats an issue we will vent the pod into the carpet for a quazi aperiodic type IB sorta way like that dude in the article said.

eaither way, im sure it will be better not to have those **** rattles from them locking mechinsims. that is really really annoying.

- That's the way to do it... I think you need at least .2 cubic feet sealed. I would leave them sealed, but line all walls of the enclosure with one-inch foam rubber.

I've been making angle adapters and going right into the kick panel on some of the full-sized american cars.

azbass
10-13-2007, 05:23 PM
I did pods to keep the factory speakers in place, and not messed with. so when I get rid of the car, I just pull the pods out. and everything is stock.

and with positioning and testing, they turned out really great. and they look great.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7358/img1522oc1.jpg

alxmlr789
10-13-2007, 11:44 PM
my parking break is right freakin in the way of where my pod would go, i messed around with positioning today, and with the E-break engaged, it would hit the speaker.

alxmlr789
10-13-2007, 11:52 PM
you live in florida. you don't need an e brake

*as my boat pulls my truck down the ramp and into the water*

lol.

hemi=22s
10-13-2007, 11:56 PM
*as my boat pulls my truck down the ramp and into the water*

lol.

this is true but the biggest hills we got here are interstate bridges besides the boat issue:D