PDA

View Full Version : Nice set of Components from $150 and below

Mike437
10-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Hey guys,
I am in the market for some comps to help level out my new system of 2 12" type r's. My car can take 6.5" in the front. I was looking into the type r comps which are 110 on ebay. If you have any other suggestions please tell me. I want something that will level out my system with nice mids and highs that are under 150 shipped that i can buy on ebay. I was also suggested to look at some PG's that look alright. But give me some more suggestions please.
thanks
mike

gamebucketman
10-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Well I am yet another satisfied user of the Phoenix Gold rsd's. I would say that they are everything that people are saying they are. For $87 shipped on ebay i dont think i could do better with out robbing some place.

tbasile1
10-11-2007, 04:55 PM
RSds!!

DejaWiz
10-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Yes, the RSd's are hard to beat for the money. $129 shipped at onlinecarstereo.com or $87 shipped from AudioSavings on eBay. Just make sure you can feed them a clean 2x120-150w rms to get the most out of the midbass.

tcguy85
10-11-2007, 08:16 PM
i just bought a set for $87 shipped from audiosavings on ebay, along with a zx550.2 amp and a set of rca's. they are in NY and so am i! so i might see them as early as monday. i will have it all installed tuesday. i hope they are everything people say they are. i have high hopes though cause of what everybody says about them. :-) i will post a full review after i get them and get sometime on them. my doors are deadened and sealed already, so i should get the most out of them possible.

UCF52
10-11-2007, 08:24 PM
I have a set on 140w a side and they get LOUD!

tcguy85
10-11-2007, 08:26 PM
I have a set on 140w a side and they get LOUD!

hows the sound though, besides just loud? i know everybody says they have killer midbass, but how are the highs? smooth, bright, clear? also how and where do you have them crossed over at? i'm hoping i can cross mine over at 63hz at a 12db slope without a problem using about 125 watts rms per side..

wong05tsx
10-11-2007, 08:40 PM
id say they're pretty bright, I got mine off MSW Danny here on the boards for 80$ shipped, bnib

DejaWiz
10-11-2007, 08:48 PM
hows the sound though, besides just loud?

Here's a review (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6342&highlight=rsd) of them on 170w rms per side.

Here's the direct link (http://www.audiosavings.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=767e9c4a-3e3b-4e48-8a27-7a13f9c0a9fe&category_guid=7617d28f-f8fa-4c53-b172-133ce952abd6) to them at the retailer that also sells them on eBay for the same price.

tcguy85
10-11-2007, 08:55 PM
sweet, he says they are not bright at all. thats what i need. i listen to a lot of metal and like the highs loud and clear but not harsh. the problem with my stock speakers is that the tweeter is kind harsh at higher volume. i can't wait to get these in!!!

DejaWiz
10-11-2007, 08:57 PM
sweet, he says they are not bright at all. thats what i need. i listen to a lot of metal and like the highs loud and clear but not harsh. the problem with my stock speakers is that the tweeter is kind harsh at higher volume. i can't wait to get these in!!!

I'll be looking forward to your review! :D

tcguy85
10-11-2007, 09:03 PM
I'll be looking forward to your review! :D

i don't know if i'm really the most qualified guy to base a review on. i have only had one other set of comps, Infinity kappa perfect 6.1's (they were far from perfect IMO) in one of my past cars.

but i will try and give them the best review i can. i am trying to get away from just being loud and more towards SQ but on a tight budget. anybody can be loud but i want it to be decently loud but sound as perfect as possible. i think the most SQ will come from deadening most of the car though(i'm working on that slowly as well, as i already did the doors).

tbasile1
10-11-2007, 09:10 PM
id like to hear another review myself

We love reviews on ca.com :)

tcguy85
10-11-2007, 09:22 PM
alright i will have a review of my initial thoughts on them on tuesday if everything goes well. i am off all day tuesday from my job and will have them in as long as they get to me by then(which they should since the seller and I are both in NY). i will also update after a few days of listening and tweaking them.

i'm pretty sure i'm going to mount my tweeters in the kicks. and the woofers will be in the doors on a 3/4 mdf baffle.

Mike437
10-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info. I am defiantly going to buy the PG's listed above. And what an awesome price too. Thanks again guys.

UCF52
10-11-2007, 10:56 PM
hows the sound though, besides just loud? i know everybody says they have killer midbass, but how are the highs? smooth, bright, clear? also how and where do you have them crossed over at? i'm hoping i can cross mine over at 63hz at a 12db slope without a problem using about 125 watts rms per side..

Well, this is my first component set and my first time having amplified speakers, so of course it surpasses anything I have previously had. I can say though that they are very clear and crisp. I have thrown a wide variety of songs at them and really everything sounds perfect. I'm very pleased considering they were $89 to my door.

btw - I have my midbass in the doors and the tweets in the (stock) sail panel.

DejaWiz
10-11-2007, 11:09 PM
alright i will have a review of my initial thoughts on them on tuesday if everything goes well. i am off all day tuesday from my job and will have them in as long as they get to me by then(which they should since the seller and I are both in NY). i will also update after a few days of listening and tweaking them.

i'm pretty sure i'm going to mount my tweeters in the kicks. and the woofers will be in the doors on a 3/4 mdf baffle.

You might also want to update your initial review a week or two later after they get broken in from some play time.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I am defiantly going to buy the PG's listed above. And what an awesome price too. Thanks again guys.

Happy to help!

tcguy85
10-11-2007, 11:15 PM
will do man! man am i excited. i love getting new toys! :-)

UCF52
10-12-2007, 12:22 AM
You might also want to update your initial review a week or two later after they get broken in from some play time.

x2. Wow, I cannot believe how different they sound after about two weeks (for me).

GSRswapandslow
10-14-2007, 04:13 PM
in a good way, or bad way?

tcguy85
10-14-2007, 04:18 PM
in a good way i would imagine. speakers seem to loosen up and sound better after being played for a few hours. midbass usually gets stronger ans tweeters usually mellow out a tad. at least from my experience(even with home audio speakers).

DejaWiz
10-14-2007, 04:57 PM
in a good way i would imagine. speakers seem to loosen up and sound better after being played for a few hours. midbass usually gets stronger ans tweeters usually mellow out a tad. at least from my experience(even with home audio speakers).

QFT. A little break in time goes a long way.

UCF52
10-14-2007, 05:24 PM
in a good way, or bad way?

Yes, in a good way. Like the other stated the speakers get a chance to loosen up... = loud and crisp.

Gary S
10-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Those speakers are the flavor of the month because they were reviewed in a magazine. Two things about magazine reviews: 1) They only review a tiny fraction of what is available in the market place. 2) ALL the reviews are glowing. If a product does poorly in a test, you never hear about it... they ONLY do good reviews.

I'm not knocking the RSD's, you could do a lot worse for your money, but they really are nothing special. Just trying to put things into perspective.

If I had $150 to spend on speakers, I would save $25 more and get the PPI 356cs or Cerwin Vega V-Max 65. Onlinecarstereo.com has the Cerwin's for $175 shipped.

DejaWiz
10-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Those speakers are the flavor of the month because they were reviewed in a magazine. Two things about magazine reviews: 1) They only review a tiny fraction of what is available in the market place. 2) ALL the reviews are glowing. If a product does poorly in a test, you never hear about it... they ONLY do good reviews.

I'm going to have to disagree with you for once on this point, Gary. The RSd's were extremely popular and have been getting glowing reviews by fellow car audio enthusiasts long before they had their turn in CA&E's hot seat.

tcguy85
10-16-2007, 12:48 AM
i got mine today, they will go in tomorrow. :-) can't wait!

sportyaccordy
10-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Is the midbass on these better than that from CDT M6s?

DejaWiz
10-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Is the midbass on these better than that from CDT M6s?

I highly doubt it. Maybe close, but I'd also venture to say the CDT's probably have a small advantage of clarity, as well.

Towncar
10-16-2007, 02:18 PM

I'm not knocking the RSD's, you could do a lot worse for your money, but they really are nothing special. Just trying to put things into perspective.

If I had $150 to spend on speakers, I would save $25 more and get the PPI 356cs or Cerwin Vega V-Max 65. Onlinecarstereo.com has the Cerwin's for $175 shipped.

:suicide:

na_rsx
10-16-2007, 02:19 PM
elemental designs 6000v.2, 135 shipped, 5 year warranty, cant go wrong

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=49

DejaWiz
10-16-2007, 03:34 PM
eD is the devil! :laugh:

na_rsx
10-16-2007, 03:36 PM
eD is the devil! :laugh:

:laugh: then call me satan lover

DejaWiz
10-16-2007, 03:37 PM
\m/

tcguy85
10-16-2007, 05:17 PM
ok i got the rsd's and amp and everything in and going. i have to say i am very impressed. i will make a new thread with a little review later tonight. i also have some pictures to put up.

UCF52
10-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Good news. Give it a week or two and you'll really love them!

Sunfire01
10-16-2007, 05:46 PM
I've had them for a while, and while I've never heard anything like it in a car when I got them, and thought they were great, I feel the speakers are lacking in a way now that I've had them for a while. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems midrange on my older Polk 6x9s in the rear on HU power is stronger. The RSDs have superior clarity in all ways to them, but to me I want to upgrade soon.

Don't get me wrong, they are a good set for the price, but anyone with extra money should go buy something better as these aren't high-end, just really good value at this budget.

I'm running 180w/Side, and really picky.

DejaWiz
10-16-2007, 06:07 PM
I feel the speakers are lacking in a way now that I've had them for a while. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems midrange on my older Polk 6x9s in the rear on HU power is stronger.

Couple of questions for you:

With having used them for the time you have, do you still feel they are worth the $80-130 typically paid?

How are they now compared to your oem speakers?

Sunfire01
10-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Couple of questions for you:

With having used them for the time you have, do you still feel they are worth the $80-130 typically paid?

How are they now compared to your oem speakers?

Yes, They are worth the approx. ~$100 I paid for them four months ago, but I would be willing to pay upwards of ~$300 to upgrade to a better set. I am picky about how stuff sounds.

IMO they lack in in your face aspect the OEM speakers had in the vocals, but it terms of clarity and loudness at the same time in the highs, mids, and mid bass they are good. They have good clarity and are very loud, loud enough to easily drown out all road noises and almost all of the engine noise even at full throttle, but not the in your face aspect most OEM systems have, and I feel if I really crank them the tweeters are too bright, but if you adjust the EQ and tone them down, they aren't detailed enough. I don't know how to describe it besides that they are good, but not highend for someone like me. I guess it just depends on how picky you are.

Mids are installed in a MDF Baffle in the door, and tweeters in the corners of the dash resting below the window next to the pillars. Mids being blocked by driver/passenger legs, and restriction of the opening could also be a factor in my car. Pics of install (http://picasaweb.google.com/David.Fleisch/PontiacSunfire02) *also there are other pics of the deadning, baffle, etc in the car audio installs/progress section of my picasaweb..

tcguy85
10-16-2007, 07:31 PM
i have only listened to them for a couple hours but they sound sweet and with the power i have on tap they get retarded loud. but like i said i will post up a nice review later tonight when i get some time.

tcguy85
10-16-2007, 10:04 PM
ok here is my review for the people who are watching this thread... http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264644

Sunfire01
10-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Yes, They are worth the approx. ~$100 I paid for them four months ago, but I would be willing to pay upwards of ~$300 to upgrade to a better set. I am picky about how stuff sounds.

IMO they lack in in your face aspect the OEM speakers had in the vocals, but it terms of clarity and loudness at the same time in the highs, mids, and mid bass they are good. They have good clarity and are very loud, loud enough to easily drown out all road noises and almost all of the engine noise even at full throttle, but not the in your face aspect most OEM systems have, and I feel if I really crank them the tweeters are too bright, but if you adjust the EQ and tone them down, they aren't detailed enough. I don't know how to describe it besides that they are good, but not highend for someone like me. I guess it just depends on how picky you are.

Mids are installed in a MDF Baffle in the door, and tweeters in the corners of the dash resting below the window next to the pillars. Mids being blocked by driver/passenger legs, and restriction of the opening could also be a factor in my car. Pics of install (http://picasaweb.google.com/David.Fleisch/PontiacSunfire02) *also there are other pics of the deadning, baffle, etc in the car audio installs/progress section of my picasaweb..

I'm actually gonna take a lot of this back because I just got a new battery after my old one died. And it's weird, my sub actually hits without starving for power, and my whole system sounds livlier. And guess what? The rear defog works now after it not working for the year i've owned this car lol. This is weird...So I'd go back on my statements and say they are GREAT for the ~$100 USD, and just O.K. if your battery is dying..LOL.

DejaWiz
10-17-2007, 10:39 AM
So I'd go back on my statements and say they are GREAT for the ~$100 USD, and just O.K. if your battery is dying..LOL.

Hehe that's funny stuff. Glad it was a relatively simple thing that boosted everything.