PDA

View Full Version : Bad Connection or Speaker itself?

hollowpoint
10-10-2007, 06:24 PM
The speaker on the front passenger side of my jeep is either dead or something, I dont know. I change the fades to the front right and nothing comes out but sometimes there is static or some low freq. coming from it. I was thinking Id switch a speaker around to see but its a pain in the butt to do for just one thing so I was wondering if its a bad connection with the wire or is the speaker itself messed up?

Gary S
10-10-2007, 07:03 PM
It's probably the speaker, but the only way to know is to test/switch them. Does it sound different on AM/FM vs. CD?

hollowpoint
10-10-2007, 07:10 PM
It never worked with both and since I have my ipod I only use that and still dont work and does that weird noise once and awhile

maybe Ill switch them tomorrow or tonight and see. Theres no other way of seeing though?

Gary S
10-10-2007, 09:38 PM
If you can find and tap into the speaker wires and touch the terminals of a flashlight battery to the wires... if the speaker "pops" when you make the connection, the speaker works.

hollowpoint
10-10-2007, 09:47 PM
If you can find and tap into the speaker wires and touch the terminals of a flashlight battery to the wires... if the speaker "pops" when you make the connection, the speaker works.

hmmm...I think Ill just switch the two rights around and see what happens. Im pretty sure I know what you mean but finding the wire would end up in me taking the door off and etc. so might as well. Thanks for the help. Ill probally post back my discovery and see what everyone thinks after

kross
10-11-2007, 03:54 PM
but finding the wire would end up in me taking the door off and etc.

Would it be easier to get behind the dash, to get at the wires behind the HU?

hollowpoint
10-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Would it be easier to get behind the dash, to get at the wires behind the HU?

yeah your right but I dont want to take the chance right now and eff something up with the wires taking out the headunit, like pull and snap goes that wire, ya know? I only have 1 HU at the moment and really no tools here to fix any wiring issue

hollowpoint
10-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Wellll, It must be a bad wire somewhere. I swapped the speakers and of course that couldnt be the problem had to be wiring. Ohwell no sence in really re-wiring it or w/e if Ill be getting new ones later on