PDA

View Full Version : over heating

sqhertz
10-10-2007, 06:00 PM
well latly my truck has been over heating. i checked the coolant level and it was pretty low and poop colored, so i filled it the rest of the way with fresh. checked later that day , and it went back down some. ive been trying to ignore it and run it into the ground but if i want to get anything when i go to trade it in , it at least has it make it to the lot.
i have not checked/replaced thermostats or radiator cap thinking it was a leak somewhere. trying to work from the cheapest solution up. is there some crap i could throw in there that will seal it up if there is one?

:(

jco1385
10-10-2007, 06:14 PM
how long until you trade it in? leak stop will fubar an engine if you use too much. personally i'd try to find the problem and fix it right.

negativezeroz
10-10-2007, 06:25 PM
You shouldn't just add to dirty coolant. Take like an hour and completely flush the radiator and reservoir then start over with new coolant and water.

sqhertz
10-10-2007, 07:41 PM
You shouldn't just add to dirty coolant. Take like an hour and completely flush the radiator and reservoir then start over with new coolant and water.

i know, but i mainly use it to get to work and back (5 miles round trip) as soon as it would get hot i would be at work. i plan on trading it in by the end of the year.
ill check my haynes manual and probably flush it out tomorrow. i was just hoping there would be an easy fix. its more than likly is a leak though , right?

negativezeroz
10-10-2007, 08:36 PM
how long has it been since it started over heating? if its been a slow process then it might just be usual loss but if its all the sudden then get under that bish and check all the lines

truckramrod
10-10-2007, 08:50 PM
You need at the very least a coolant backflush, switch to green coolant and a new radiator cap.
However you stated that you are loosing coolant, you could have a crack in black plastic radiator side tanks, but since you said your coolant is nasty and you have a leak, it sounds like your intake manifold gaskets are leaking and that's a big $ repair and will result in engine damage if you don't repair it.

sqhertz
10-10-2007, 08:59 PM
its been like this a few weeks. it gradually got hotter and hotter till my 'check gauges' light came on which was a few days ago. ill see about getting it flushed tomorrow. dunno about a backflush though. ill crawl up under it tomorrow and inspect everything.

jco1385
10-10-2007, 09:03 PM
there shouldn't be a gradual loss in the cooling system. it's a sealed system, where would it "go"? either a leak somewhere (fairly simple to fix) or head gaskets (not so much). check the oil and see if it looks like a chocolate milkshake. if so thats bad news.

sqhertz
10-11-2007, 12:19 AM
id hope its not the head gaskets, ill run that bish into the ground. but wouldnt it be blowing smoke out the exaust if the coolant mixed with oil?

blue eyes
10-11-2007, 11:33 PM
on the bottom of your water pump is a wheep hole you could be loosin coolant from their check all your hoses and clamps if its a head gasket sell that chit to a dumb sob lol you will know if its a head she will smoke like a train

Ferendon
10-12-2007, 04:55 PM
You need at the very least a coolant backflush, switch to green coolant and a new radiator cap.
However you stated that you are loosing coolant, you could have a crack in black plastic radiator side tanks, but since you said your coolant is nasty and you have a leak, it sounds like your intake manifold gaskets are leaking and that's a big $ repair and will result in engine damage if you don't repair it.
A crack in a side tank would result in the truck heating up rather quickly, as there would be a severe loss in pressure. If it's a hose, the leak is most likely only going to be apparent when there is LOTS of pressure, i.e.: when it's already warm. And on the intake manifold gasket comment... You're an idiot. The intake manifold gasket makes not contact with ANY fluid. The only gasket that could cause a coolant leak AND mix fluids is the head gasket. Otherwise, if it is a gasket, then it's a cooling system gasket or seal. And intake manifold gasket are NOT a pricey repair, and they hardly ever go bad, unless they're re-torqued repeatedly. In the event that it is a head gasket, it's ALREADY a big repair bill, the motor will hydrolock sooner or later, because there is coolant seeping in the cylinders... and coolant doesn't compress. (Bent rod, cracked piston, blown rings, warped/cracked head, or any combination of those things will result, just to name a few).

You might also check to see if the car has a fail-safe thermostat. If it does not, it can fail and lock into the closed position, creating tremendous back pressure on the open loop section of the cooling system. That results in cracked hoses or other leaks. If it is a fail-safe, then the vehicle would take quite some time to get warm, and the entire cooling system would be open, making it difficult for the system to heat up.

on the bottom of your water pump is a wheep hole you could be loosin coolant from their check all your hoses and clamps if its a head gasket sell that chit to a dumb sob lol you will know if its a head she will smoke like a train

Jeez... Read your post. Again. Now think about the qualifications required to call someone a "dumb sob". I'm ashamed that you're from Texas. A blown head gasket does not always smoke. Smoke is created by oil getting into the cylinders, steam is from the water in the coolant burning off. Most of the time, with coolant in the cylinder, you will get a stream of coolant at the exhaust tip. Also, the color of the smoke can tell you a lot. White/Blue smoke is not smoke. It's steam. It's from water. Darker colored smoke is usually from oil. But again... A blown head gasket DOES NOT always smoke.

This place is the blind leading the ****ing blind.

jco1385
10-12-2007, 05:00 PM
hey man, i was dead on with what you said. i've had HGs go on me before. if it gets really hard to turn over, or has white/blue smoke it's probably HGs. also check the weep hole on the w/p like someone above said. could be a bad radiator. just have to check everything.

i'll second that intake gaskets will not cause coolant loss

blue eyes
10-13-2007, 12:38 AM
hey i have two heads go out on me over heated once cracked the head and smoked like a train i am just going on my own exp... i am not a a.s.e. i just drove a pos haha

mk_
10-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Put a piece of cardboard underneath where you park your car for the night and park over it. See where abouts the leak is coming from in your engine compartment. This way you can atleast pinpoint which side of the engine you may be leaking from.

As stated before, your cooling system is operated via pressure, so when full, it should stay full. If you are low on coolant, its going somewhere, ie leak, burning in the combustion chamber.

Without looking at the vehicle we really can't help you, could be anything; leaky hose, water pump failing, head gaskets, etc.

Sounds like coolant should be replaced soon anyways by the way you described it, but find out if theres a leak first and fix that. Use the coolant stated in your manual.

Good luck!
Michael

Ferendon
10-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Put a piece of cardboard underneath where you park your car for the night and park over it. See where abouts the leak is coming from in your engine compartment. This way you can atleast pinpoint which side of the engine you may be leaking from.

As stated before, your cooling system is operated via pressure, so when full, it should stay full. If you are low on coolant, its going somewhere, ie leak, burning in the combustion chamber.

Without looking at the vehicle we really can't help you, could be anything; leaky hose, water pump failing, head gaskets, etc.

Sounds like coolant should be replaced soon anyways by the way you described it, but find out if theres a leak first and fix that. Use the coolant stated in your manual.

Good luck!
Michael

Coolant does not burn. Water will evaporate, but the coolant itself, unless propelled through the exhaust valve, with either back feed into the oil, or remain in the cylinder. If the truck is running ok, you're just loosing coolant, then you need to find your leak.

mk_
10-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Burning coolant was suggested merely in the case of blown head gasket. You are correct, under normal circumstances coolant wont burn or ever reach the combustion chamber. :D

Ferendon
10-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Coolant won't burn... Even when it does make it to the combustion chamber... Blown head gasket or not.

sqhertz
10-23-2007, 10:37 AM
i havnt checked this thread in a while, but thanks for all the suggestions/help.

im not sure about the fail safe thermostat but when it does heat up , its only to the 3/4 point. at about 4/5 or so the check gauges light will come on and it hasnt done that since i started this thread. only when i jump on it will it get that hot.
other than that it runs fine. havnt had any other problems.

as far as changing coolant , do i need to get it flushed like they do with transmissions or just empty and refill? i think ill get around to doing that today since its my day off.

mk_
10-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Coolant won't burn... Even when it does make it to the combustion chamber... Blown head gasket or not.

I dunno man i read that statement a few times and haven't come up with a conclusion. You are the first to ever tell me that coolant doesn't burn. I know coolant has a lifted boiling point, but if combustion temps reach say 1600 F and said coolant is entering that flame front i would imagine it getting burned, it getting pushed out the exhaust valve(s) and it venting a white cloud of sweet smelling smoke(steam?) to the atmosphere.

Not flaming you at all, would just like to know your side of this!

Sorry for hijacking thread

Ignatowski
10-24-2007, 08:56 PM
pull the spark plugs and crank the motor over........is she spits water out of a spark plug hole
you have a blown head gasket

sqhertz
10-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Maybe you should walk or bike if it's only 2.5 miles away ...

... i live in miami, no thanks.

well im going to flush teh radiator today since its nice and cool out (~75).
fluid , cap , thermostat/gasket...anything else i would need?

jdawg
10-25-2007, 10:05 AM
water

sqhertz
10-25-2007, 10:31 AM
i got the premixed stuff. im not good at measuring.
just waiting for the engine to cool before i begin.

jdawg
10-25-2007, 10:33 AM
well how do you expect to flush it then?

edit- and why pay more for half the amount of coolant?

sqhertz
10-25-2007, 10:35 AM
err. teh water hose?

i was thinking you meant un-mixed coolant. they had that but like i said , im not good at measuring.

jdawg
10-25-2007, 10:41 AM
half and half bro, it doesnt have to be an EXACT measurement

sqhertz
10-25-2007, 10:43 AM
i know , the differance in price was minimal, so i just went with the premixed.

im just hoping this will solve the problem.

jdawg
10-25-2007, 10:51 AM
did you look for leaks yet? Yea its a good idea to get out the dirty coolant. It may be leaking down so far that there isnt enough, but you just have to check things out. Good luck

sqhertz
10-25-2007, 11:08 AM
havnt checked for leaks yet. i will do that once i get it filled up with fresh coolant.
still waiting on the engine to cool more.

sqhertz
10-25-2007, 01:25 PM
done.

the old thermostat looked like ****. put the new in and let it run for ~15 minutes. didnt get hot at all. but when i went to check the level of the coolant , it was low. filled it again , let it run for a minute and checked, coolant dropped. a friend came by and helped me look around for a leak and we couldnt find anything. :confused:

after i clean up ill take it on a ride and see how she does.

sqhertz
10-25-2007, 02:19 PM
well i took it on a ride to the part store to pick up an air filter (mine looked like poo).
temp gauge got to the 2/3 (~245-250) point then jumped back down to around halfway (~190-220) and stayed there. so i guess the thermostat is doing its job but i still dont know where the coolant is going.

jdawg
10-25-2007, 02:46 PM
is your pass side floorboard wet?

sqhertz
10-25-2007, 02:48 PM
shouldnt be. the heater core is bypassed.

jdawg
10-25-2007, 02:50 PM
did you put a new cap on it?

sqhertz
10-25-2007, 02:51 PM
yezzir.

jdawg
10-25-2007, 02:52 PM
hmm, has to be either a leak or its going inside the engine somewhere, might hace to do like others suggested, put a peice of cardboard under it and let it run for a min and look for drips

sqhertz
10-25-2007, 02:56 PM
thats what im thinking. my boy and i looked for a good 10 minutes while it was running and saw nothing leaking.
ill probably get around to doing that today and see. atleast it is running cooler.

jdawg
10-25-2007, 02:59 PM
you may have a cracked head or leaky headgasket, I would say just baby it, keep a jug of water in your truck till the end of the year and trade the sucker in

Rich B
10-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Take it to a gas station that still has service bays and ask them to pressure test your coolant system.

They have a hand pump device with a pressure guage thats attached to a special radiator cap, where they can pump it up to see if it holds pressure.

If its not holding pressure, they might be able to find the leak.

jdawg
10-25-2007, 03:17 PM
I was looking around on s10forum and seems like the 4.3's have a problem with leaky intake gaskets

sqhertz
10-25-2007, 04:04 PM
i wasnt really looking for leaking gaskets when i was in there but i did look around and didnt notice anything.
just got back from another ride and before i left i checked the level again and it dropped but it does seem to stay around where the lower radiator hose is so the leak may be around there.now its starting to rain a bit so ill have to hold off on that.
the temp does seem to stay where its supposed to be untill i start driving further distances. so ima do like jdawg suggested and baby it till i can trade it in. bah, i cant wait.

thanks again for all the help. :D

Ignatowski
10-25-2007, 06:23 PM
the water is going into the cylinder either though the head gasket or a cracked head,....see my previous post on PG 2 to further diagnose.......Eventually you'll hydrolock and end up
having to re do the whole motor instead of just the head/gasket...I build engines for hobby/race and have seen this many times

Stupid is as stupid does

Ferendon
10-25-2007, 10:46 PM
I dunno man i read that statement a few times and haven't come up with a conclusion. You are the first to ever tell me that coolant doesn't burn. I know coolant has a lifted boiling point, but if combustion temps reach say 1600 F and said coolant is entering that flame front i would imagine it getting burned, it getting pushed out the exhaust valve(s) and it venting a white cloud of sweet smelling smoke(steam?) to the atmosphere.

Not flaming you at all, would just like to know your side of this!

Sorry for hijacking thread

It's coolant... What is coolant's purpose? To cool the engine. If a normal combustion chamber, gets to 1600*, then how hot would a cylinder get, with a wet spark plug, and coolant on the piston, and cylinder wall? A wet spark plug doesn't spark, at least not very well. No fire = no heat = much lower combustion chamber temp. Each spark would burn off a tiny, and I mean TINY bit of coolant. By the time you burned off any significant amount of coolant, you would have typically caused some engine damage.

The sweet smelling steam is a result of the silicates from the coolant breaking down, over time, and mixing with water. Kinda like when you boil something, after a while, you can smell w/e is in the water. Water in the combustion chamber is turned to steam, and carries the silicates with it, which creates the smell.

My dad was a mechanic for 32 years, so while I'm no expert, I don't just talk out of my *** either. I changed my first set of brake pads when I was 4, and I did it without removing the caliper from the mounting bracket, and I've been up to my elbows in grease ever since.

sqhertz
10-27-2007, 11:07 AM
the truck is overheating again. so im calling off work to get this figured out.

bad gaskets- what do i look for? just cracks and leaks around the heads?

wouldnt starting the engine with a spark plug out cause something to **** up? just doesnt sound too safe to me, but i dont know much about engines so...

hatemonger
10-27-2007, 02:55 PM
i had the same thing happen to my sonoma. it was the head gasket. i noticed fluid coming out of the tail pipe (although i'm not entirely sure that it wasn't just condensation). my pops did a "die test" i think and found out it was the gasket. cost 600$ to fix it.

Ferendon
10-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Won't hurt anything, but I would disconnect the coil wire or coil packs first, so that it won't start. You just need to remove the spark plug, and crank the engine, to see if it shoots coolant out of the spark plug well.

sqhertz
10-30-2007, 10:55 AM
it was the head gaskets. both of em. its in the shop now.

jdawg
10-30-2007, 11:17 AM

too bad you couldnt baby it for another month, if you work so close to your house can you ride a bike?

sqhertz
10-30-2007, 11:31 AM

too bad you couldnt baby it for another month, if you work so close to your house can you ride a bike?

iirc, jman suggested this. i CAN but with all this ****** weather and humidity, id be soaked by the time i get there. the bus is an option but i think my best bet would of been to just get em done. at least this way i can sell/trade it for more when the time does come. im just hoping nothing else goes wrong.

jdawg
10-30-2007, 11:49 AM
meh, if you were closer I would help, could do it in a good days works. Just hope you didnt heat it up too much and warp the heads or worse yet have a cracked one. I guess even though there are alot of those engines around you could find a use head if need be.

sqhertz
10-30-2007, 11:56 AM
meh, if you were closer I would help, could do it in a good days works. Just hope you didnt heat it up too much and warp the heads or worse yet have a cracked one. I guess even though there are alot of those engines around you could find a use head if need be.

i didnt ride it long at all once it started to over heat. furthest i drive to is work. anything further , i use the girls car. its at the shop now and ive spoke to them a few times. they said its just the gaskets, no warped or cracked heads. so thats a big plus. if i had my mechanic friends around still id think about dropping a 350 in there.