PDA

View Full Version : will there be a noticable difference in ported vs. sealed?

budahbuddy803
10-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Well my plan was to buy a 1000rms watt amp and then buy another IDQ to improve my output. I got the amp and then that thing did the unthinkable, i made a thread. So instead of spending all this money on a new amp and sub, i just want to build a ported box for my single 15".

I love the SQ of my IDQ and when i say SQ i mean quickness... the ability to reproduce double-bass notes or just quick notes in general. If i go ported, will it slow the sub down noticeably? I mean i might as well do it i was just curious if it would be worth the $25, time, and dedication for output. I dont even have any idea how much of a difference it will be outputs wise. I mean i have read the sealed vs. ported thread and everything i just wanted a little insight.

BJ The Man
10-09-2007, 09:48 PM
when i moved sealed to ported(same sub/amp) it took me about a week before i realized the difference. im sure if you design it correctly you could make it more accurate but im pretty sure you will notice any difference with time.

Immacomputer
10-10-2007, 12:04 AM
I would go ported with that sub instead of sealed. Ported for my IDQ 12d2v2 brought out much more low end and it didn't negatively affect the transient response at all. When I had it in 3 cubes tuned to 28hz, it was a little less aggressive but still sounded very nice.

If you put that sub in about 2.7 cubes tuned to 30hz, you should not be disappointed at all. If you need a box designed for you, I would be happy to do it, just PM me with your max dimensions.