PDA

View Full Version : L7 15 Box Question

tuck05
10-09-2007, 05:10 PM
I built a 4cuft net box tuned to 38hz for a L7 15 for my brother. The sub is loud inside the truck(ext cab dodge ram) with the windows down. Everything inside the house is rattling and the sub is loud in the house. However, take 5 steps away from the truck and the sub just doesn't seem to be very loud. Why is this? He had 2 old style Type R 10's in a small ported box(not sure of size or tuning) and it was much louder outside the truck than the 1 15. The box is sitting in the middle of his truck with the 15 firing forward between the seats and the port is up.

Could box size and tuning be an issue here? Should he go with a larger box tuned lower? Or, same size box tuned lower? Or, what? His goal is to be loud on the "outside" of the truck.

TIA

05gliguy
10-09-2007, 05:20 PM
were the type r's firing the same direction?

PSturmer
10-09-2007, 05:41 PM
idk if this applies to the outside of the car but it could be a knot hole.

Lakota
10-09-2007, 05:44 PM
My truck is doesn't seem as loud on the outside as others, but it's a different story on the inside. If it's loud on the inside, which is where it should be, then who cares?

Edit - He wants to be loud on the outside? Is he doing drive-by or something? Tell him to ditch the truck and get a SUV.

PSturmer
10-09-2007, 05:46 PM
My truck is doesn't seem as loud on the outside as others, but it's a different story on the inside. If it's loud on the inside, which is where it should be, then who cares?

drive by..... other than that some people want people to here them. i had this problem with my buick where it wasnt loud outside the car. but with my explorer i was able to get my drive by score very loud

tuck05
10-09-2007, 06:24 PM
05gliguy The alpines were sub up and port up.

psturmer knot hole?? wtf? lol

lakota He is trying to be loud for his friends. Ya know? He doesn't compete or anything like that. I had the 2 RE SX 15's in my Tacoma and they were crazy loud inside and outside the truck. I guess he was expecting more loudness outside of the vehicle. However, I do agree with you. I'm all about loudness inside the truck. And that L7 is **** loud inside his dodge. He has an 800 watt audiobahn on the L7 and it is hard to swallow inside the truck.

DarkFox
10-09-2007, 07:01 PM
If he wants it to be louder outside, he needs to tune much lower. Lower freq's carry longer. Instead of a 37 he should go for like a 32

PSturmer
10-09-2007, 07:09 PM
If he wants it to be louder outside, he needs to tune much lower. Lower freq's carry longer. Instead of a 37 he should go for like a 32

not necessarily. lower tuning is not as loud usually. 2 12'' R's tuned to 34 is louder outside the car than 30hz.

my drive by is a 126 and can be heard very well. and thats around 45-50hz.

if you could do 150db at 30 hz that would carry so far. talk to steve meade about that.

Lakota
10-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Sounds like he wants to get his **** yanked. If he wants to impress tell him to have his friends sit IN THE CAR.

DarkFox
10-09-2007, 07:51 PM
mayebe for meter PSt but sounds like this guy is going for just a good old fashion ground pounder. with that 15 tuned kinda low, he should get the sound hes going for

tuck05
10-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Sounds like he wants to get his **** yanked. If he wants to impress tell him to have his friends sit IN THE CAR.

Yeah thats basically what I told him.

DarkFox
10-09-2007, 09:56 PM

X2

imbumpking
10-09-2007, 10:13 PM
well i have the same problem mines quite outside but inside its LOUD and in my house when its on its loud and my box is 5 cubes at 36 hz but as long as i can impress people by the inside loudness im satisfied

poundindak69
10-10-2007, 09:44 PM
well i have the same problem mines quite outside but inside its LOUD and in my house when its on its loud and my box is 5 cubes at 36 hz but as long as i can impress people by the inside loudness im satisfied

yeah it is but you know my FI 18 in my van i loud too. lol