PDA

View Full Version : Quick question before I start building tomorrow!

wong05tsx
10-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Gonna stop by home depot to pick up a few things to help me iwth the build tomorrow, in which I will be updating the thread:
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262170
with pics

This will be my first box build, still trying to find a place to get carpet

What are these called and about how much would it cost me? (not sure if these are the right ones, but the ones that holds the box together after u glue it
http://images.craigslist.org/01010001020901030820071004311974c35e5f651d650040b8 .jpg
and
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b194/rich1034/DSC01518.jpg
the 90 degree ruler thing

also, about how many of those holder things will i need? Think imma just use them for the install and return them after..knowing home depot :D

CrazedCat
10-09-2007, 01:12 AM
I hope u used that L ruler to make sure that blade is set straight and true as well.

wong05tsx
10-09-2007, 01:16 AM
I hope u used that L ruler to make sure that blade is set straight and true as well.

those are pics i stole from another guys install log. I'm trying to find out what they're called... gonna pick them up at home depot tomorrow but i dont wanna walk in like an idiot asking 10 workers since alot of the workers there are idiots too

ballstothewall
10-09-2007, 01:19 AM
The first things are called Clamps, those in particular are pipe clamps

The second thing is commonly referred to as a carpenters square.

hemi=22s
10-09-2007, 01:21 AM
home depot sells carpet pretty cheap or most auto stores

wong05tsx
10-09-2007, 01:23 AM
The first things are called Clamps, those in particular are pipe clamps

The second thing is commonly referred to as a carpenters square.

home depot sells carpet pretty cheap or most auto stores

Thanks, just saved bout 30minutes of my life, i'll have to check out the carpet section there too i guess! updates to come on the other thread :veryhapp:

JT1979
10-09-2007, 01:24 AM
just get all your measurements and have Hd make all the cuts for you. I know the one hear has an awesome saw and cuts VERY straight cuts, plus they do it for free and takes less time. You still get to do all the building though.

wong05tsx
10-09-2007, 01:28 AM
just get all your measurements and have Hd make all the cuts for you. I know the one hear has an awesome saw and cuts VERY straight cuts, plus they do it for free and takes less time. You still get to do all the building though.

Yeah, I picked up the wood today, 6 pieces of 16x16, 2 pieces of 2ftx4ft 3/4" mdf was pretty much perfect
there are a few pieces in which are like 1cm too big or too small, but im pretty sure a few screws and some nice glue won't fix. the guy cuttin it was coo... waited 45minutes to wait my turn, and i was the last in line so he took his time on mine trying to make it as precise as possible. The cuts are very straight, its just not as flush as expected, but still workable, I would've had to take the wood to my uncles to get cut since I have zero to no tools at home besides a drill and a few screws.

also love their cuts because the cashiers dont care how many u have, so she just asked how many pieces i got and said one. so i got all the wood cut, and only paid for 1 =)

edit: oh yeah, will I need a countersink? or could I just use a drill bit to drill a small hole before the screws?

ballstothewall
10-09-2007, 01:29 AM
No, don't get everything cut at home depot. They WILL screw it up.

wong05tsx
10-09-2007, 01:34 AM
No, don't get everything cut at home depot. They WILL screw it up.

too late O_O. the pieces doesnt look bad, theres just like 1 or 2 pieces where its like 1cm too short/long

JT1979
10-09-2007, 01:35 AM
Yeah, I picked up the wood today, 6 pieces of 16x16, 2 pieces of 2ftx4ft 3/4" mdf was pretty much perfect
there are a few pieces in which are like 1cm too big or too small, but im pretty sure a few screws and some nice glue won't fix. the guy cuttin it was coo... waited 45minutes to wait my turn, and i was the last in line so he took his time on mine trying to make it as precise as possible. The cuts are very straight, its just not as flush as expected, but still workable, I would've had to take the wood to my uncles to get cut since I have zero to no tools at home besides a drill and a few screws.

also love their cuts because the cashiers dont care how many u have, so she just asked how many pieces i got and said one. so i got all the wood cut, and only paid for 1 =)

edit: oh yeah, will I need a countersink? or could I just use a drill bit to drill a small hole before the screws?

Drill holes first to keep the wood from splitting. Will help any ways IMO