PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it to switch to a ported box???

crimbshaw188
10-08-2007, 11:45 PM
right now i have 2 rockford fosgate shallow mount p3's powered by 1000 watt memphis amp am am considering building a ported box for them this weekend ......but im wondering if its worth it to go to a ported box since i would be removing my back seat....so can a get much more out of the subs by going to a ported box???? should i got to a prorted box????

and if its worth it what design should i go with???? how many cubic feet? and what port size?

responses much aprectiated

Crimbshaw

18inchjeepin
10-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Short answer yes, "should" be louder, if thats what your after. Check rockfords website for box specs. Worst case, you can but the old box and you gained some woodworking skills.

crimbshaw188
10-09-2007, 12:07 AM
yes i am looking for loudness......as i am sure as most places in the world there is a small "how loud is your system" Battle if you will going oon at my highschool just kinda braging rights i am going to keep my old box and if i don like the ported i will just switch it back or maybe just switch them as i please........maybe in a few months i am getting 2 more and having a local place hook me up with a huge custom box for me but for now i want all i can get out of just 2

how hard is this going to be for a novice in box design such as me......i have beuild many things before and have a large selection of tools circular saw, router, anything i would need and i have built many other things before.........just never a caculated size and design box before

PSturmer
10-09-2007, 12:15 AM
sealed is for retards. but then again some subs perform well in sealed box's

Looney_Tune
10-09-2007, 12:17 AM
I had a 15" CW sealed....ported it. Made all the difference in the world...

vitveet
10-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Yeah, if you have the space, ported is worth it. Some subs don't give a huge advantage over sealed though. All depends on the sub/vehicle! But a sub in a sealed box with the correct amount of airspace will be better off than a sub in the incorrect sized ported box.

V.

crimbshaw188
10-09-2007, 07:58 PM
well thats why im asking yall and making sure i want to get the box size right

Random1010
10-09-2007, 08:00 PM
my 1 ported MJ18 in 4.3 at 31 hz is as loud, if not louder, than my friends 2 MJ18's in a sealed 6.9 cu ft box