PDA

View Full Version : CMX kicks

fatryan
10-08-2007, 01:20 PM
i just installed my CMX kicks over the weekend and something is seriously not right. i hope its just an installation error rather than driver problems.

the woofers are rich and full and have a nice kick but the tweets blow. theyre not loud, theyre static-y, and they seem to pronounce frequencies that shouldnt be pronounced. now i know the EQ will help, and i have yet to set mine. but it seems just too "off" for the EQ to help. it seems like theres something missing between the tweets and woofers. and theyre just so unclear, it really upsets me.

someone please tell me that i messed up because "rainbow cal25 tweets are amazingly clear" :( and for 200wrms a piece, they sure dont seem much louder than my stock speakers running off my deck.

these cmx's have more midbass than my old MBQ's, but as of now, id have to say the MBQs spank the rainbows for highs and clairity.

do the tweets really need to run on axis or something cause i got them pointing up to the windshield from the stock dash locations...

someone please help :(

dvrmstrng
10-08-2007, 01:28 PM
im actualy considering selling my rainbows for more midbass and louder tweets

Etac
10-08-2007, 01:32 PM
how come you gotta make this post right after i ordered my kicks ;)

fatryan
10-08-2007, 01:33 PM
i love the midbass, but the highs ****, and theyre not even clear

fatryan
10-08-2007, 01:34 PM
everybody raves about how great rainbow is. and they all say these cmx kicks are great too. so im hoping this isnt how theyre supposed to sound

Etac
10-08-2007, 01:35 PM
this is a review link from rainbows website - its in german tho

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/press/reviews.php?lan=2&lin=6
and goto the bottom and click complete review

but if you look in the bottom right i believe thats teh freq response - if so maybe that spike towards the higher end is the problem?

fatryan
10-08-2007, 01:37 PM
this is a review link from rainbows website - its in german tho

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/press/reviews.php?lan=2&lin=6
and goto the bottom and click complete review

but if you look in the bottom right i believe thats teh freq response - if so maybe that spike towards the higher end is the problem?
thats not a link...

Etac
10-08-2007, 01:38 PM
the first one was a javascript thing - i fixed it

aeon
10-08-2007, 01:48 PM
I think I'm having the same problem as you.. For some reason my cmx kicks don't really sound as good as I thought it would. Mid bass sounds really good but these speakers are lacking vocals. Vocals don't really stand out as much...

dvrmstrng
10-08-2007, 01:49 PM
im the other way around....lacking midbass but highs are high

aeon
10-08-2007, 02:34 PM

where do you have your tweeters placed?

aeon
10-08-2007, 02:34 PM

double post, sorry don't know what happen.

Gary S
10-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Tweeters firing up toward the windshield can sound bad... too many reflections from the windshield can smear the sound. Try sticky-tapping them to the kicks or doors next to the mid, see how that sounds.

Gary S
10-08-2007, 02:51 PM
N/t

Gary S
10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
N/t

kross
10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
the woofers are rich and full and have a nice kick but the tweets blow. theyre not loud, theyre static-y
Something is definitely wrong. At no point should those tweeters sound staticy.

do the tweets really need to run on axis or something cause i got them pointing up to the windshield from the stock dash locations...
Also to say they aren't loud, that they are quieter than the midrange drivers, even pointing straight up at the window, means there is something seriously wrong. Aiming straight up at the windows from the dash should make for a very bright, in your face sound. So to say the tweeters aren't loud, isn't right.

kross
10-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Dupe

kross
10-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Dupe

kross
10-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Dupe

aeon
10-08-2007, 03:10 PM
I have mine on the sail panel and they seem to do fine there. tried them on the a pillar and the tweeters sound a little bright/harsh to my ears. Stock location is right at the corner under the windshield and it just doesn't sound right right there. I like them on my door panels right below the sail panel but I don't want to drill any holes into my doors.

fatryan
10-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Tweeters firing up toward the windshield can sound bad... too many reflections from the windshield can smear the sound. Try sticky-tapping them to the kicks or doors next to the mid, see how that sounds.
i was thinkin to maybe try the a-pillars. but these comps would have to **** major *** of axis for the a-pillar to really make a difference. then theres also the clarity issue...

fatryan
10-08-2007, 03:21 PM
i was thinking about trying the a-pillars. but these comps would have to **** major *** off axis to make that much of a difference on the pillars...

fatryan
10-08-2007, 03:22 PM
i was thinking about trying the a-pillars. but these comps would have to **** major *** off axis to make that much of a difference on the pillars...

fatryan
10-08-2007, 03:23 PM

fatryan
10-08-2007, 03:26 PM
wow, this website blows. triple post FTMFL

kross
10-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Quintuple post FTL :(

aeon
10-08-2007, 07:08 PM

aeon
10-08-2007, 07:09 PM
can't see page 2 for some reason.

woops, now i can.

Sunfire01
10-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I'd say A.) Break-In and B.) Remove tweeters from the position of firing up into the window. C.) EQ them out..?

dvrmstrng
10-08-2007, 07:19 PM
to whomever asked my tweets are up in my dash but thats not MY problem, midbass is

Gary S
10-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Like sunfire1 said, there is also a break-in period for speakers... they will probably sound different after a few weeks.

tmoney
10-08-2007, 08:20 PM
idk what to say man but mines sounds good wit only about 75 watts. check ur tweeter levers and check to see if any of ur wires are touching. something dont sound rigth at all. u may have to swap + and -!!

fatryan
10-08-2007, 10:13 PM
ok i figured it out. im retarded ha ha. im using an old orion 4ch amp bridged to power these cmx's. and i dont have a manual for it. i found one online and turns out i had a setting wrong. i was combining both L and R signal into each channel. so now that i got it fixed its much clearer and louder. it still needs a little tweeking, but i think my EQ should take care of that.

downside is that now my midbass went down :( maybe if i set the attentuation level back to linear that will go back to normal...

fatryan
10-08-2007, 10:14 PM
think i need to reset the gains?

kross
10-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Maybe it just sounds lower in comparison, since the tweets are louder now? Anyway, if you have your tweets on the dash firing up, you'll need to EQ the tweets down (or attenuate via the passive crossover, if it has that ability. My Germs do, don't know about CMX).

fatryan
10-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Maybe it just sounds lower in comparison, since the tweets are louder now? Anyway, if you have your tweets on the dash firing up, you'll need to EQ the tweets down (or attenuate via the passive crossover, if it has that ability. My Germs do, don't know about CMX).
yup, they do too. i turned it up one notch b4 i figured out what i was doing wrong. now its a little too bright, so i think im gonna go back to linear.

fatryan
10-29-2007, 01:23 AM
well its been less than a month and it looks like my cmx's are dead already! :verymad::furious::verymad::furious:

i havent figured out the problem yet but they just cut out one day and it appears that theyve been fried somehow. signal was NOT clipped whatsoever so i really am at a lose for this. if rainbow doesnt cover this im gonna raise hell.

aeon
10-29-2007, 02:20 AM
where'd you get them from? if you got them from one of the guys on here try talking to them about it and work something out.

people are giving them 200 watts and to me, that seem like a little to much. they're rated at 150 watts for a reason and hat's where i'm keeping mine. i've had mine on for over a month now and have no problems at all.

fatryan
10-29-2007, 02:29 AM
where'd you get them from? if you got them from one of the guys on here try talking to them about it and work something out.

people are giving them 200 watts and to me, that seem like a little to much. they're rated at 150 watts for a reason and hat's where i'm keeping mine. i've had mine on for over a month now and have no problems at all.
i got them from premieraudio who is a rainbow dealer. i have been talking to him and he is helping me try to figure out exactly what happened. but i will be seriously pissed if rainbow claims this is my fault and wont cover it.

ive heard of multiple people giving these upwards of 250-300watts and mine were only getting 200. 200 seems to be the standard for them too. so there is no reason for these to have quit on me.

aeon
10-29-2007, 02:58 AM
well i hope everything works out for you.

btw, how do you think these speakers?

jblayz1
10-29-2007, 09:26 AM
i had CMX kicks. to aggressive for my taste. i could not get them dialed in right for the life of me. 200rms should be fine if you're running passive. to me they just sound to harsh. i could not get them to sound right via crossover OR eq, active. and i was only sending the tweets 25 watts each.

Latina33
10-29-2007, 12:56 PM
i had CMX kicks. to aggressive for my taste. i could not get them dialed in right for the life of me. 200rms should be fine if you're running passive. to me they just sound to harsh. i could not get them to sound right via crossover OR eq, active. and i was only sending the tweets 25 watts each.

And I will be getting in my set of CMX Kicks within the next couple of days, thanks to jblayz1. :fro:

I had a set of non-Kick CMX's a couple of months ago, running them at 210w RMS passive, and they sounded great. They are a little on the agressive side, but I kinda like that with a component set, personally. I don't like Focal or MB Quart aggressive, but the CMX sound works really well with what I like in my sound.

I hope all turns out well with your Kicks, Ryan. If you can't get them replaced for whatever reason, i'd look into a set of Boston Pro60's or the Pioneer Premier 720 comps.

jblayz1
10-29-2007, 01:33 PM
let me know when you get those, justin.

aeon
10-29-2007, 01:40 PM
hmmm.. that's weird that you find them to harsh. i have the kicks also and it can be harsh some times, but most of the time it sounds just about right. i have my tweets on the sail panels so that might have helped a little with the harshness. when i had them pointed at the windshield, they did seem pretty harsh. i'm running passive right now but thinking about running active if i ever get the alpine 9887.

latin, did you make it to the meet?

fatryan
10-29-2007, 01:51 PM
well i hope everything works out for you.

btw, how do you think these speakers?
huh?

fatryan
10-29-2007, 01:52 PM
yeah i was running them passive at 200 a piece

fatryan
10-29-2007, 01:54 PM
And I will be getting in my set of CMX Kicks within the next couple of days, thanks to jblayz1. :fro:

I had a set of non-Kick CMX's a couple of months ago, running them at 210w RMS passive, and they sounded great. They are a little on the agressive side, but I kinda like that with a component set, personally. I don't like Focal or MB Quart aggressive, but the CMX sound works really well with what I like in my sound.

I hope all turns out well with your Kicks, Ryan. If you can't get them replaced for whatever reason, i'd look into a set of Boston Pro60's or the Pioneer Premier 720 comps.
if i cant get em replaced im flying over to germany, buying an assault rifle, and going to the rainbow factory

aeon
10-29-2007, 02:02 PM
huh?

sorry, i meant what do you think about these speakers, but you've answered that.

Latina33
10-29-2007, 02:13 PM
if i cant get em replaced im flying over to germany, buying an assault rifle, and going to the rainbow factory

LOL Now that's 'affirmative action'.

I know you bought them brand new from Aaron, so I'd assume one of the perks of buying brand new would be a hookup of a replacement set of speakers if yours don't work anymore.

Aaron(PremierAudio) is a good guy....he actually sold me a pair of SLC Kicks a while ago. I hope he can help you get this resolved. This is a kicka$$ set of comps once they're wired up right and tuned.

Latina33
10-29-2007, 02:16 PM
hmmm.. that's weird that you find them to harsh. i have the kicks also and it can be harsh some times, but most of the time it sounds just about right. i have my tweets on the sail panels so that might have helped a little with the harshness. when i had them pointed at the windshield, they did seem pretty harsh. i'm running passive right now but thinking about running active if i ever get the alpine 9887.

latin, did you make it to the meet?

Hey man! Nah, I wasn't able to make it to the one this Past Saturday....it ended up being too soon to make time for it.

I definitely am planning on coming to the next meet. When I do, I'll either have a set of CMX Kicks(passive) as my front stage, or a pair of CAL26 Titans and a pair of Profi Kick mids being run active as my front stage. :)

aeon
10-29-2007, 02:35 PM
yeah, i want to but i work every saturday. i'll see what i can do for the next meet.

Puggsley456
10-29-2007, 04:01 PM
I would agree that the CMX kicks have some excellent midbass, But I dont care for the tweeter. IMO this set would have been perfect if they would have came with a silk tweet.

I have to really dial down the tweets on my CD7K's eq and they are still a bit bright.

fatryan
10-29-2007, 04:06 PM
LOL Now that's 'affirmative action'.

I know you bought them brand new from Aaron, so I'd assume one of the perks of buying brand new would be a hookup of a replacement set of speakers if yours don't work anymore.

Aaron(PremierAudio) is a good guy....he actually sold me a pair of SLC Kicks a while ago. I hope he can help you get this resolved. This is a kicka$$ set of comps once they're wired up right and tuned.
yeah hes been really helpful already. i just hope he really comes through on this one. i know i didnt send them a clipped signal so theres no way that this problem could be my fault. i still gotta take em out and test each driver but its kinda hard to do when your up at school and dont have a driveway to work in.

aeon
10-29-2007, 05:53 PM
I would agree that the CMX kicks have some excellent midbass, But I dont care for the tweeter. IMO this set would have been perfect if they would have came with a silk tweet.

I have to really dial down the tweets on my CD7K's eq and they are still a bit bright.

has anyone thought about replacing the tweets on this? i've been thinking about replacing my tweeters with some seas neos just to see what they sound like. they're pretty cheap tweeters.

Puggsley456
10-30-2007, 04:44 PM
I am running my Cmx kicks off a PG ti600.2 which is 150x2. And I can say that these components arent very efficient. My edi 6500's got much louder with less gain on the same amp than these do. I am seriously considering ditching these. They havent impressed me very much to this point.

fatryan
10-30-2007, 08:45 PM
going to be doing some test tomorrow to determine the problem. hope its just the amp or something

aeon
10-30-2007, 10:57 PM
I am running my Cmx kicks off a PG ti600.2 which is 150x2. And I can say that these components arent very efficient. My edi 6500's got much louder with less gain on the same amp than these do. I am seriously considering ditching these. They havent impressed me very much to this point.

are there any other speakers that you're considering?

aeon
10-30-2007, 10:58 PM
going to be doing some test tomorrow to determine the problem. hope its just the amp or something

keep us updated on this.

Puggsley456
10-31-2007, 03:18 PM
are there any other speakers that you're considering?

I really dont know, I really enjoyed the edi 6500's I had, so hopefully eD releases the 6800's some time this year and I may pick up a set of those.

But, in the mean time, Theres not much out there that really jumps out at me. Maybe a set of RSD's. But do they have metal tweets as well?

Seeing as I have a ported 16Ov.2 in my car(99cougar hatchback) I need something very efficient off of 150rms/ side.

fatryan
10-31-2007, 05:38 PM
well, i just unplugged the comps and replaced the fuses. then i tried turning it on, fuses popped again. so i guess that rules out the comps and pretty much means i have a fried amp, correct?

aeon
10-31-2007, 06:01 PM
are you talking about the amplifier fuse? have you checked all wires?

fatryan
10-31-2007, 06:40 PM
are you talking about the amplifier fuse? have you checked all wires?
yes amp fuses (2 x 20A). can i check for a short with a DMM? checking all the wire would blow **** and i dunno if i can even get under my car when im up here at school

jblayz1
10-31-2007, 07:11 PM
where do you have the crossovers? i'd check those also.

fatryan
10-31-2007, 07:30 PM
in the trunk next to the amp. how could it be the xovers if i still popped fuses without a load on the amp?

fatryan
11-03-2007, 03:10 PM
it was the amp. i got a new one and it works now. but i got a new problem lol. its all static coming from my left woofer. left tweet is clear and all right components are clear, but left woofer only plays static. connection at xover and amp is good, didnt check inside door yet. could there be a chance that its the speaker itself and not a connection issue?

cronic
11-03-2007, 03:33 PM
pull the offending speaker and check the connections. While its out move the speaker cone in and out gently and with even pressure and see if you hear or feel a scratching sound. If so, the voice coil is blown.

jblayz1
11-03-2007, 04:49 PM
you'll also smell a strong electrical smell if you fried that driver

jblayz1
11-03-2007, 04:50 PM
in the trunk next to the amp. how could it be the xovers if i still popped fuses without a load on the amp?

should be fine then. crossovers do fail. i was just trying to rule evrything out for you.

Duocin
11-03-2007, 05:27 PM
would there be a big difference in sound if these were hooked up to a cadence amp putting out 150x2 versus a kicker amp which is rated at 205x2??

Etac
11-03-2007, 05:36 PM
hey i got these speakers and granted i didnt read all 5 pages of post but

my tweeters also have the staticy thing... kinda.. it matters how on the song was recorded. it is defently slightly more noticable than with other speakers i've had in the past but doesnt seem to play freq's its not suposed to as you said earlier.. (just kind of a background hiss) - doesnt really bother me that much personally

and im running these with approx 200-250 watts per side at 80 hpf and they seem to take it well

fatryan
11-03-2007, 08:31 PM
well i still havent checked the connection in the doors but i doubt its that. the connections at the woofer are pretty solid looking. i also did some tests today. i switched around to different RCAs (RF, RR, LR) and nothing came outta the speakers at all. then i tried putting the speaker on a rear channel and still nothing. but there is something really weird going on. when i paused my music i heard static outta the left tweet. and when i unplugged the left RCA (to listen to music while working tonight without hearing the staticy left speaker) i somehow heard static outta the left tweet intermittently. how is that possible with no signal? also, when i had both RCAs plugged in i set my balance to completely left and i somehow heard static outta the right speaker. i have no idea whats goin on here. you have any idea?

zeuolaxxx
11-03-2007, 09:46 PM
It could be your negative wired on the amp... place it to the chassis....

fatryan
11-04-2007, 02:31 PM
It could be your negative wired on the amp... place it to the chassis....
it is. but wouldnt that affect all channels on the amp?

zeuolaxxx
11-04-2007, 03:59 PM
maybe.. try to move the negative wired and test..

fatryan
11-04-2007, 04:25 PM
maybe.. try to move the negative wired and test..
i jiggled the negative wire at the chassis and at the amp, and nothing changed. i also tried switching out the xovers but the problem still remained at the left components. i guess that kinda just leaves bad comps now doesnt it? i mean, what are the chances of a loose connection at both the tweeter and the woofer?

fatryan
11-04-2007, 04:59 PM
what im really not understanding though is how the right comp will make intermittent static noise even if its RCA is unplugged and the decks fader is all the way to the right. and the same thing happens with the left speaker. anyone have any idea about that?

its not like flat out static. its only when i turn the volume up really high. and its a static noise that goes to the beat of the music. anytime the midbass hits there will be a real quick static burp in the speaker thats off...

Frankensuby
11-04-2007, 07:59 PM
what im really not understanding though is how the right comp will make intermittent static noise even if its RCA is unplugged and the decks fader is all the way to the right. and the same thing happens with the left speaker. anyone have any idea about that?

its not like flat out static. its only when i turn the volume up really high. and its a static noise that goes to the beat of the music. anytime the midbass hits there will be a real quick static burp in the speaker thats off...

Where are you disconnecting the RCA's from? The deck or at the amp? If it is at the deck, your RCA's could have exposed or unshielded wiring somewhere. Try disconnecting at the amp and throw the gains up. If there is a constant static, check your grounds. There might be some regular floor noise when the gains are up as well, I never tried my luck with setting the gains to max, I used DMM and let it at that ;) Also, check your wiring to the speakers, making sure there is no crimps or cuts in the lines. I had a pinched power wire in my old car that caused the fuses at the batteries to blow. I didn't find it until the 3rd fuse :lol:

The staic is usually caused by a bad ground. Since it is when the midbass hits, I would assume that the more the power, the greater the static, so you might want to double check your grounds for corrosion/resistance issues. For example on how grounds cause static, my GF's OLD pioneer has bad Pre-outs whose grounds internally are bad. Even after a ground loop isolator and tons of grounding, the noise is still there.

I had a 2 gauge ground for the X200.4, what grounds are you running?

fatryan
11-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Where are you disconnecting the RCA's from? The deck or at the amp? If it is at the deck, your RCA's could have exposed or unshielded wiring somewhere. Try disconnecting at the amp and throw the gains up. If there is a constant static, check your grounds. There might be some regular floor noise when the gains are up as well, I never tried my luck with setting the gains to max, I used DMM and let it at that ;) Also, check your wiring to the speakers, making sure there is no crimps or cuts in the lines. I had a pinched power wire in my old car that caused the fuses at the batteries to blow. I didn't find it until the 3rd fuse :lol:

The staic is usually caused by a bad ground. Since it is when the midbass hits, I would assume that the more the power, the greater the static, so you might want to double check your grounds for corrosion/resistance issues. For example on how grounds cause static, my GF's OLD pioneer has bad Pre-outs whose grounds internally are bad. Even after a ground loop isolator and tons of grounding, the noise is still there.

I had a 2 gauge ground for the X200.4, what grounds are you running?
i disconnect them at the amp. and yes i do hear static when they are disconnected. like i mentioned above, ive been running just the right front RCA so i at least have some music when i drive, but i still intermittently hear static out of the LEFT speaker. i have checked the amps ground at the chassis and the amp, theyre both really solid and wiggling them had 0 affect on any output. also, its not my decks preouts because the problem is limited to my left speaker. i tried switching out to the 3 other RCAs and putting the left comp on the right front and left rear channel and the problem stayed with the speaker. it seems odd that there would be a short in the speaker wire because both the tweet and the woofer are messed up. and since the xover is in my trunk only 1ft from the amp (wire is 1ft if that), that only means id have to have a short in BOTH the tweet wire and the woofer wire. very unlikely that its that. but it also seems unlikely that both drivers died simultaneously ya know? and im running 4awg wire, which should be plenty since im not running the amp nearly at full potential. 4awg wire should be sufficient for full potential regardless.

zeuolaxxx
11-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Dude.!! do you have pioneer, right? do the ground loop!!!

zeuolaxxx
11-04-2007, 10:48 PM
I have a Pioneer DEH-7800, I have a strange noise.. I change the neg on the amp, radio, every where, I change RCA and still have the noise... Then I did the ground loop and the noise gone!!! The pioneer has poor ground so doing that the noise gone!

zeuolaxxx
11-04-2007, 11:01 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198477&highlight=fix+pioneer+ground+loop go there it could help you a lot!!!

fatryan
11-04-2007, 11:41 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198477&highlight=fix+pioneer+ground+loop go there it could help you a lot!!!
well i think i pretty much eliminated the possibility of it being my HU because i tried all 4 RCAs on that channel (left channel) and i still got static however my right comp (on right channel) plays fine on all 4 RCAs

Frankensuby
11-05-2007, 10:22 AM
well i think i pretty much eliminated the possibility of it being my HU because i tried all 4 RCAs on that channel (left channel) and i still got static however my right comp (on right channel) plays fine on all 4 RCAs

To be honest, I'm very confused at how it went staticy, it has to be something with the system somewhere in your car. Maybe just a weird wire somewhere. You definitely heard it before it was taken out, and I did it in your presence, so the amp isn't bad. How are your gains set? DMM?

I was running the front speakers at 85 RMS DMM and the rears at roughly 110-120 RMS DMM. Another thing I can say is that when you are tuning these Xenon amps, they are VERY touchy at the gain knob. It's been too long since I tuned the amp, but I remember the DMM went crazy at about 75% of the gain knob adjusted. What I mean by that is when you are ajusting the gain upward...them DMM barely responds to output until nearly 75% of the knobs turn, and then it shoots up like crazy. So if you aren't careful with the knob, you could be pushing more or less power to your speakers than you intended.

Did you listen to the speakers before touching my adjustments just to hear them? Like I said, I had roughly 85 RMS to the front, and 110 or so to the rear, so your speakers shoudl have been fine on that for a test listen. That would be helpful as a grounds to figure out from. The amp was perfect sounding at that point.

Also, when you installed, I hope you definitely made sure to have the battery disconnected, or made sure your pre-outs were NOT in the amp when you connected the live power wire. I toasted a set of pre-outs on my current deck (Best Buy fixed for free FTW) when I was tuning my sub stage amp (An older Bazooka,and I din't have any of my Xenon stuff at the time). I had CRAZY static when the car was off, and then static plus engine whine when the car was on. Pioneers have a 'safety' ground wire inside their headunits, basically from what I am told, it is a thin fused wire connected to all 3 pre-outs, and when one pre-out goes, all are affected.

Just trying to help :)

fatryan
11-05-2007, 04:07 PM
To be honest, I'm very confused at how it went staticy, it has to be something with the system somewhere in your car. Maybe just a weird wire somewhere. You definitely heard it before it was taken out, and I did it in your presence, so the amp isn't bad. How are your gains set? DMM?

I was running the front speakers at 85 RMS DMM and the rears at roughly 110-120 RMS DMM. Another thing I can say is that when you are tuning these Xenon amps, they are VERY touchy at the gain knob. It's been too long since I tuned the amp, but I remember the DMM went crazy at about 75% of the gain knob adjusted. What I mean by that is when you are ajusting the gain upward...them DMM barely responds to output until nearly 75% of the knobs turn, and then it shoots up like crazy. So if you aren't careful with the knob, you could be pushing more or less power to your speakers than you intended.

Did you listen to the speakers before touching my adjustments just to hear them? Like I said, I had roughly 85 RMS to the front, and 110 or so to the rear, so your speakers shoudl have been fine on that for a test listen. That would be helpful as a grounds to figure out from. The amp was perfect sounding at that point.

Also, when you installed, I hope you definitely made sure to have the battery disconnected, or made sure your pre-outs were NOT in the amp when you connected the live power wire. I toasted a set of pre-outs on my current deck (Best Buy fixed for free FTW) when I was tuning my sub stage amp (An older Bazooka,and I din't have any of my Xenon stuff at the time). I had CRAZY static when the car was off, and then static plus engine whine when the car was on. Pioneers have a 'safety' ground wire inside their headunits, basically from what I am told, it is a thin fused wire connected to all 3 pre-outs, and when one pre-out goes, all are affected.

Just trying to help :)
thanx dude. im like 99% sure its the speaker. im gonna pull it on wednesday and test it on a home reciever to find out for sure. ive rulled out the deck and pretty much rulled out the amp too. sux cause i just got these comps, but they are under warranty so i better get new ones! i set my gains with a DMM to....sqrt(200*4)=28.2V. that about 200WRMS per channel. and yes, gains are always touchy but this PG's gains are a bit touchier than usual. took me a good minute or 2 to set it precisely on 28.2V.

Etac
11-05-2007, 04:12 PM
well i wish i never read this post lol

after doing some testing - i think the staticy thing is just the way the speakers are cause mine do it too - i mean you really gotta gotta get close and listen to hear it... but once the volume goes up its not an issue.. im starting to think it has something to do with their off-axis preformance... (which is really good)

and i agree with the post above - the tweets can be a little harsh at times (matters on the song) but usually sounds great - i have mine in the mirrior triangles now but i plan on moving them into the kick area soon..

fatryan
11-07-2007, 05:31 PM
well i pulled them today and checked each driver on my buddies reciever. the tweeter played fine with maybe minimal distortion. but it was playing off the amp too, just really low volume, so id like to send that in under warranty just incase. i hooked the woofer up and it played high frequencies but barely played the midrange and there was ALOT of static. i pushed on the cone and i think i may have felt a little scratching. but worse than that when i pushed in it would stay in the down position for a second then pop back up. like it was sticking to something then releasing. so i guess that means the coil is bad? or could there be something else? i just dont see how i could have possibly fried the coils, i KNOW i did NOT clip the signal.

headless
11-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Sounds like the left woofer is fried... it could have been killed when the amp fried, but If the amp fried while playing music it's likely that it was being clipped even if you didn't expect it to be. Also possible that it had a bad ground causing massive amperage spikes trying to push power... How did you set your gains? Where do you have the amplifier grounded? Have you done the big 3? What size wire to your amps and for the big 3? Any dimming?

Did you test the tweeter and woofer on your buddy's receiver WITH crossover's? be careful; pushing a full range signal to a tweeter will destroy it in no time.

I hope Premier takes care of you - I've returned several woofers from my Rainbows under warranty to Don (6spdcoupe) and never had so much as a blink from him re: RMA'ing them back. It may have helped that he knew all of the hardware I was using though - i bought my Arc 4150XXK amp and Eclipse CD7000 from him also. I hear a lot of good things about Premier, so perhaps you'll see similar service from him.

fatryan
11-09-2007, 03:41 AM
Sounds like the left woofer is fried... it could have been killed when the amp fried, but If the amp fried while playing music it's likely that it was being clipped even if you didn't expect it to be. Also possible that it had a bad ground causing massive amperage spikes trying to push power... How did you set your gains? Where do you have the amplifier grounded? Have you done the big 3? What size wire to your amps and for the big 3? Any dimming?

Did you test the tweeter and woofer on your buddy's receiver WITH crossover's? be careful; pushing a full range signal to a tweeter will destroy it in no time.

I hope Premier takes care of you - I've returned several woofers from my Rainbows under warranty to Don (6spdcoupe) and never had so much as a blink from him re: RMA'ing them back. It may have helped that he knew all of the hardware I was using though - i bought my Arc 4150XXK amp and Eclipse CD7000 from him also. I hear a lot of good things about Premier, so perhaps you'll see similar service from him.
i set my gains with a DMM and they were low, so i highly doubt that i clipped this signal. my amp ground was really solid (14k gold grounding unit bolted to sanded chassis) tested perfect on DMM every time. i didnt, however have the big 3 done, but i really have no dimming anyways. im just running a comp amp now. my sub amp is in my room. plus, my accord has a stock 4awg neg to chassis. i dunno about the other wires, but thats pretty big for stock.

i tested the tweet and woofer WITH the xover and without. it was the same response with both....tweet played ok, woofer barely played anything and sounded like ****. i only played each driver for maybe 3 seconds tops, so i doubt i hurt anything.

premier has been really helpful and he seems to be a really nice guy so i def am holding out hope in him. my amp may have died but i dont know how that could have fried my comp with all the resistors and fuses in the circuit. it does look bad though unfortunatley. i really hope premier can help cause im gonna raise hell with rainbow if i dont get a replacement.

Gary S
11-09-2007, 04:11 AM
If those are the steel basket comps, they might be overrated on the power they can actually handle.

fatryan
11-09-2007, 03:13 PM
If those are the steel basket comps, they might be overrated on the power they can actually handle.
what? what are you talking about? how do i find out? how much could they handle?

Etac
11-11-2007, 10:01 PM
dont listen to gary (no offense)
the cmx kicks are defently not overrated power wise

fatryan
11-11-2007, 11:05 PM
dont listen to gary (no offense)
the cmx kicks are defently not overrated power wise
yeah premier had never heard of such a thing either

Etac
11-12-2007, 04:57 PM
i just tested the resistance the speakers give through the crossover inputs
my dmm says 3.5 to each speaker
always just assumed it was 4 from the specs - and set my gains according to that

would it be possible if anyone else could possily check this just to compare?
and also had the crossover setting on "A" and number 5 (very loud for kick panel)

fatryan
11-12-2007, 07:08 PM
i just tested the resistance the speakers give through the crossover inputs
my dmm says 3.5 to each speaker
always just assumed it was 4 from the specs - and set my gains according to that

would it be possible if anyone else could possily check this just to compare?
and also had the crossover setting on "A" and number 5 (very loud for kick panel)
i tested mine at the xover before i installed them and they read ~4ohm

Etac
11-12-2007, 07:22 PM
hope i didnt hurt my voice coil at all.. but i kinda doubt if i did burn them a little - i burnt them to the same exact ohms... it is possible tho

does your crossover have the light on it or no?

fatryan
12-23-2007, 11:12 PM
my other one just quit on me! im ******* furious. and i still dont even have my first one back yet. ******* rainbow is taking forever.

headless
12-24-2007, 12:17 AM
****, that *****.

Etac
12-24-2007, 01:04 AM
how much power did you have going to it?

fatryan
12-24-2007, 01:18 AM
200wrms per comp

flakko
12-24-2007, 01:28 AM
200wrms per comp

rainbow site says 100w nominal and 150w peak for the power ratings

fatryan
12-24-2007, 01:31 AM
rainbow site says 100w nominal and 150w peak for the power ratings
yeah i know, but ive had MANY respectible people tell me theyll take 200wrms with no problem, including the rainbow dealer who sold em to me. ask others on this board who are running my comps what theyre feeding em. i bet ya the majority are 150-200wrms. hell, ive even heard upwards of 300wrms on these.

headless
12-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I'd feel nervous pushing 300w to those...hell, my power line cs at ~340w per side are completely maxed out - and at less than that they have considerably more throw than my old set of germaniums - they are 250w maximum according to rainbow specs. I rarely get near 300w to those and when there is 600w going to the fronts you can seriously tell in a major way - they're considerably beefier drivers than the cmx line... they actually produce more volume around 60-100hz than my ported 10" CVR is capable of - while playing the entire range of sound above that clearly. It's sick.

For comparison, here's a shot of the power line cs next to the germanium woofers which are roughly equivalent to the cmx's...

http://headless.shackspace.com/GermPowerlineCS2.jpg

300w/side is excessive for those cmx's imo. My germaniums liked that much power, but at the same time, i did have problems with my germ woofers dying too, and we never discovered if it was teething pains on the new line (germaniums) or simply too much power for them to handle...and they did not actually pull all 300w at any time; they reached their limits before that point.

slick rick
12-24-2007, 11:55 AM
everytime I see this picture I get sad...makes my Germs feel like OEM mids. :)

livinlegend
12-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Why are you judging it per side? Just say how much you're feeding the WHOLE COMP SET.

If you fed it 300 RMS for the whole set, too much for rainbows IMO, your mistake. Should've stuck with 200-250 for the whole set and stayed conservative, don't push rating if you're worried about blowing your speakers. I'm feeding 310 rms to speakers that are 5x beefier than those because I know I can't afford to blow them.

Etac
12-25-2007, 01:01 AM
yea my kicks seemed to max out at about 200 on real grinding songs....

i love my rainbows.. so much that i wish i bought a higher line up...which i probaly will one day.. those powerlines look sooooo **** =)

fatryan
12-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Why are you judging it per side? Just say how much you're feeding the WHOLE COMP SET.

If you fed it 300 RMS for the whole set, too much for rainbows IMO, your mistake. Should've stuck with 200-250 for the whole set and stayed conservative, don't push rating if you're worried about blowing your speakers. I'm feeding 310 rms to speakers that are 5x beefier than those because I know I can't afford to blow them.
well if you knew anything about rainbow, youd know that everyone seriuosly overpowers them, and they take it.

livinlegend
12-26-2007, 01:23 AM
well if you knew anything about rainbow, youd know that everyone seriuosly overpowers them, and they take it.

And I do, and you overpowered them, and they blew. Why? Because sometimes you just need to use your common sense. I have heard of people feeding 250 RMS max to 265 cmx kicks. Never 300, I'm shaky even feeding that to my hertz so I'm keeping my gains down until I know they can handle it.

Also you have 5+ people here who have told you you should be feeding 200 RMS or in that range at most, you made a honest mistake and I hope they have you covered

fatryan
12-26-2007, 02:45 AM
And I do, and you overpowered them, and they blew. Why? Because sometimes you just need to use your common sense. I have heard of people feeding 250 RMS max to 265 cmx kicks. Never 300, I'm shaky even feeding that to my hertz so I'm keeping my gains down until I know they can handle it.

Also you have 5+ people here who have told you you should be feeding 200 RMS or in that range at most, you made a honest mistake and I hope they have you covered
again, you do not know what youre talking about. just cause something has a rated power, doesnt mean its set in stone. if you knew a thing about car audio, youd know that by now. im not just some retard who decided to throw 200wrms to each comp on a whim. car audio has been a hobbie of mine for several years and ive had god knows how many setups which have all worked fine. i almost always overpower something if i know it will take it, and to this day i have not had a problem until these rainbows. furthermore i researched these speakers for a long time and got a sense of what people generally feed them without having problems. the common range was 150-200w/piece, and ive heard a number of cases of them taking 200-300wrms/piece without problems. i over power each 1 of my solo barics by 250w and they love it. ive been feeding them 1000w a piece for over 2 years now with 0 problems. youre welcome to do whatever you wish with your gear, but im going to get the most out of mine. quality gear isnt quality for no rason ;)

livinlegend
12-26-2007, 03:06 AM
again, you do not know what youre talking about. just cause something has a rated power, doesnt mean its set in stone. if you knew a thing about car audio, youd know that by now. im not just some retard who decided to throw 200wrms to each comp on a whim. car audio has been a hobbie of mine for several years and ive had god knows how many setups which have all worked fine. i almost always overpower something if i know it will take it, and to this day i have not had a problem until these rainbows. furthermore i researched these speakers for a long time and got a sense of what people generally feed them without having problems. the common range was 150-200w/piece, and ive heard a number of cases of them taking 200-300wrms/piece without problems. i over power each 1 of my solo barics by 250w and they love it. ive been feeding them 1000w a piece for over 2 years now with 0 problems. youre welcome to do whatever you wish with your gear, but im going to get the most out of mine. quality gear isnt quality for no rason ;)

:verymad::furious:

obviously you don't get it. I saw that thread and the problem was you asked PER SPEAKER when you should've asked as a set, you probably got quite a few confused responses. i guarantee most people voting for 200 meant to vote 200 for the whole set. i have never heard of anyone feeding them 400-600 rms or even close to that, that's ridiculous, don't even tell that to rainbow when you warranty the speakers. the ideal range for them from all the rainbow owners has been 200-250rms and that's pushing it (i believe they are rated at 150?). i would bet 300 is the most you could push them. i was originally going to buy the cmx 265 kicks and i had at least 10+ people tell me to feed them no more than 250. you fed them 400 and they blew. DUH.

what happened speaks for itself, you blew your speakers. stop trying to act like you're right or you know something i don't know, you're the wrong one in this case ($300 wrong :rolleyes:)

good luck with the warranty, no more really needs to be said on this subject

fatryan
12-26-2007, 03:37 AM
:verymad::furious:

obviously you don't get it. I saw that thread and the problem was you asked PER SPEAKER when you should've asked as a set, you probably got quite a few confused responses. i guarantee most people voting for 200 meant to vote 200 for the whole set. i have never heard of anyone feeding them 400-600 rms or even close to that, that's ridiculous, don't even tell that to rainbow when you warranty the speakers. the ideal range for them from all the rainbow owners has been 200-250rms and that's pushing it (i believe they are rated at 150?). i would bet 300 is the most you could push them. i was originally going to buy the cmx 265 kicks and i had at least 10+ people tell me to feed them no more than 250. you fed them 400 and they blew. DUH.

what happened speaks for itself, you blew your speakers. stop trying to act like you're right or you know something i don't know, you're the wrong one in this case ($300 wrong :rolleyes:)

good luck with the warranty, no more really needs to be said on this subject
pull your head outta your *** n00b. go back and REREAD this entire thread. youll see pretty much EVERYONE who spoke of power thrown to their CMXs specifically stated PER SPEAKER. no ones gonna talk about being worried about CMXs handleing 200wrms (per pair). use your **** head man. i know you think you know everything now because you finally understand Ohms law, but please just stay out of this thread. you DONT know what your talking about and your just pissing me off.

oh and btw, you may want to learn to count. there was only 1 person who said they thought 200w/speaker was too much but they were obviously just uncertain because they dont know rainbow gear and they wanted to play it safe and just do rated. flakko simply posted the specs. so, you fail. peace

fatryan
12-26-2007, 03:40 AM
on a lighter note, i just rechecked the gain setting tutorial and it appears the test tone i used was 0dB after all...

http://www.resnet.trinity.edu/areynol1/gain.htm

i think thats the one i used, especially since its posted right after my post asking for a 1kHz test tone. also, a -6dB tone would prolly be hard to find anyways lol. i have no idea where i even got -6dB from.

livinlegend
12-26-2007, 04:40 AM
pull your head outta your *** n00b. go back and REREAD this entire thread. youll see pretty much EVERYONE who spoke of power thrown to their CMXs specifically stated PER SPEAKER. no ones gonna talk about being worried about CMXs handleing 200wrms (per pair). use your **** head man. i know you think you know everything now because you finally understand Ohms law, but please just stay out of this thread. you DONT know what your talking about and your just pissing me off.

oh and btw, you may want to learn to count. there was only 1 person who said they thought 200w/speaker was too much but they were obviously just uncertain because they dont know rainbow gear and they wanted to play it safe and just do rated. flakko simply posted the specs. so, you fail. peace

Reality Check: You blew your speakers. I predicted it. Learn to admit when you're wrong.

Maybe you fed them too much power.

Nah, it's Rainbow's fault. GET ANGRY AT THEM.

I recommend you feed 400 RMS to your next pair too! :rolleyes:

Keep talking trash to me and I'm going to point out this thread to your rep and he will have a good reason not to warranty your speakers *******. Learn your lesson next time around and get some common sense. If I were Rainbow I'd send you packing.

flakko
12-26-2007, 04:46 AM
oh snap... i thought you meant 200w to the PAIR... wow.

fatryan
12-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Reality Check: You blew your speakers. I predicted it. Learn to admit when you're wrong.

Keep talking trash to me and I'm going to point out this thread to your rep and he will have a good reason not to warranty your speakers *******. Learn your lesson next time around and get some common sense. If I were Rainbow I'd send you packing.oh you predicted it? lol. no, you just started chiming in AFTER the fact b/c you think youre smart.

oh and btw, aaron already knows everything about this, so go ahead and tell him, hell prolly laugh at your dumb ***. hes the one who OKed me pushing this much power to them. i asked him first of course.

so STFU n00b, you dont know **** about car audio. you havent even been here for a year, youre 19, you have like 160 posts, and youve already proven youre mentally retarded, so GTFO.

fatryan
12-26-2007, 04:38 PM
oh snap... i thought you meant 200w to the PAIR... wow.
well 200wrms to the pair would be exactly rated power. why would i even be concerned with that?

livinlegend
12-26-2007, 07:12 PM

Keep talking trash to me and I'm going to point out this thread to your rep and he will have a good reason not to warranty your speakers *******. Learn your lesson next time around and get some common sense. If I were Rainbow I'd send you packing.

quoted for emphasis because OP seems to have dissociative disorder and thinks his rainbows blew themselves.

no one here would recommend you to put 400 rms to cmx kicks, and especially not an authorized retailer. since you're such a prick i'm going to make sure to send all of this information to rainbow regarding your abuse of their speakers and warranty system.

are you still pretending like you didn't blow your speakers? you have worse denial than some junkies & alcoholics that i've known, the sad part is i'm not even lying

I've sent messages both to your rep and to rainbow regarding how irresponsibly you are abusing their drivers and taking advantage of their warranty service. Because of assholes like you some companies will eventually stop offering the service in the first place.

fatryan
12-27-2007, 01:19 AM
quoted for emphasis because OP seems to have dissociative disorder and thinks his rainbows blew themselves.

no one here would recommend you to put 400 rms to cmx kicks, and especially not an authorized retailer. since you're such a prick i'm going to make sure to send all of this information to rainbow regarding your abuse of their speakers and warranty system.

are you still pretending like you didn't blow your speakers? you have worse denial than some junkies & alcoholics that i've known, the sad part is i'm not even lying

I've sent messages both to your rep and to rainbow regarding how irresponsibly you are abusing their drivers and taking advantage of their warranty service. Because of assholes like you some companies will eventually stop offering the service in the first place.
reading has failed you miserably. if you cannot comprehend that people IN THIS THREAD and other threads also have stated they pushed 400+wrms to a pair of cmx's, then you have no hope and you might as well kill yourself.

youre a moron who knows nothing about audio especially rainbow. quit being a pain in my as n00b and just leave this thread.

and if you werent so retarded you would have already read that aaron ALREADY KNOWS what i pushed to them. good luck in life.

livinlegend
12-27-2007, 01:28 AM
reading has failed you miserably. if you cannot comprehend that people IN THIS THREAD and other threads also have stated they pushed 400+wrms to a pair of cmx's, then you have no hope and you might as well kill yourself.

youre a moron who knows nothing about audio especially rainbow. quit being a pain in my as n00b and just leave this thread.

and if you werent so retarded you would have already read that aaron ALREADY KNOWS what i pushed to them. good luck in life.

you know i'm still waiting for him to say something. you can stop lying now. you have dug a deep, deep hole. i'm not going to post out of respect for him but i'm sure even he doesn't need to clarify the fact that you utterly destroyed these speakers. you should be forced to pay for the comps you destroyed.

fatryan
12-27-2007, 01:33 AM
you know i'm still waiting for him to say something. you can stop lying now. you have dug a deep, deep hole. i'm not going to post out of respect for him but i'm sure even he doesn't need to clarify the fact that you utterly destroyed these speakers. you should be forced to pay for the comps you destroyed.lol, ok. did you ask him if he knows how much i gave em? why dont u post what he says then. then well see who is the douche.

livinlegend
12-27-2007, 01:38 AM
lol, ok. did you ask him if he knows how much i gave em? why dont u post what he says then. then well see who is the douche.

its up to him if he wants to post on the subject and i will respect his privacy by not posting regarding him and this subject anymore. i feel sorry for him because he is the one that has to deal with the aftermath of your BS situation and hes the one that has to tell rainbow your stupid *** fed 400W+ into 150W max power rated comps. that's not even within the limits of acceptability for warranty service.

you are just so very wrong and you can't seem to accept it because my join year says 07.

fatryan
12-27-2007, 01:51 AM
its up to him if he wants to post on the subject and i will respect his privacy by not posting regarding him and this subject anymore. i feel sorry for him because he is the one that has to deal with the aftermath of your BS situation and hes the one that has to tell rainbow your stupid *** fed 400W+ into 150W max power rated comps. that's not even within the limits of acceptability for warranty service.

you are just so very wrong and you can't seem to accept it because my join year says 07.
i cant accept it because YOU are wrong and you already proved yourself to be an retard. i bet you didnt even PM him. your just talking **** and trying to look tuff over the internet....pretty sad. ive spoken with aaron already many times about this subject and he has already sent my first comp in to rainbow. yes i feel bad he has to deal with this. but he himself already said its very odd that this happened to me (knowing what i pushed to them).

why cant you understand that i dont care about what you have to say or who you emailed? what are you trying to prove? just go away, there 0 point in arguing. if you dont like what ive done, then leave. i already know how you feel and i still dont care.

livinlegend
12-27-2007, 01:58 AM
i cant accept it because YOU are wrong and you already proved yourself to be an retard. i bet you didnt even PM him. your just talking **** and trying to look tuff over the internet....pretty sad. ive spoken with aaron already many times about this subject and he has already sent my first comp in to rainbow. yes i feel bad he has to deal with this. but he himself already said its very odd that this happened to me (knowing what i pushed to them).

why cant you understand that i dont care about what you have to say or who you emailed? what are you trying to prove? just go away, there 0 point in arguing. if you dont like what ive done, then leave. i already know how you feel and i still dont care.

no you are missing the point. your speakers will not be warrantied unless you lied and stated that you fed less power than you did, which you did lie (or they wouldnt be warrantied) i sent rainbow this thread where you admit to feeding the comps 400WRMS. the only way they will warranty you is out of the kindness of their hearts because this qualifies as abuse... hardcore abuse. honestly i am not a "snitch" usually but since you're claiming to have disclosed the fact that you fed 400WRMS and calling ME the liar, we will see how this turns out. we are going to see who in their right minds would warranty your stuff after seeing how you abused it. you can't just feed ridiculous amounts of power and send it in when it breaks, how does that not make sense to you? you might as well have plugged them into the wall outlet, you would get it done a lot faster.

what i am trying to tel you is it doesn't matter what i think, i'm telling you what any reputable company would think when they find out you fed over 2.5x+ the maximum power to their speaker

pop. pop. pop. remember hearing that noise?

you ruin the warranty process for honest people.

fatryan
12-27-2007, 01:59 AM
ok, dont care

headless
12-29-2007, 12:10 PM
fatryan, was your xenon bridged? or just running 2 of the 4 channels to the cmx's?

fatryan
12-30-2007, 10:30 PM
fatryan, was your xenon bridged? or just running 2 of the 4 channels to the cmx's?
bridged? oh, hell no, that would be like 400-450wrms per side! im just usin the front channels now. rear channels are waiting for my 6x9s.

tcguy85
12-30-2007, 11:54 PM
you were giving them 200 a side?

fatryan
12-31-2007, 12:02 AM
you were giving them 200 a side?yeah

tcguy85
12-31-2007, 12:15 AM
yeah

i don't know **** about rainbow but i don't see why they shouldn't handle 200 a side. hell, i'm giving my $90 RSD's that are rated at 60 watts a side 150 per side.

but from what i have read on here 150-200 a side is what the cmx's like.

fatryan
12-31-2007, 12:25 AM
i don't know **** about rainbow but i don't see why they shouldn't handle 200 a side. hell, i'm giving my $90 RSD's that are rated at 60 watts a side 150 per side.

but from what i have read on here 150-200 a side is what the cmx's like.
tis true. in fact i dont recall seeing anyone ever giving them rated. 150-200/side seems to be the norm. which is what is really suprising about my comps. they got 196/side and died :confused: and with the 10-15% the xover steals when running passive thats only 167-176w/side...