PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Sealed Box

Fusion_FREAK
10-06-2007, 01:20 AM
Hi, I built a sealed box for my Kicker CVR 8's.

The box dimensions are 24" long, 12" high, and 10" deep. They do hit alright, but some one told me that they will hit harder with a ported box.

I made the box out of 3/4" MDF, with a 1 1/2" divider in the middle, so they dont share air. The box is sealed with liquid nail at every place wood meets wood, with thick beads of silicone on the inside seams. When i push on the cone when its not turned on air comes out of the little tiny hole in the back for the wires.

Is it possible that the box is pressurizing and thats what makes it sound like crap?

If I port it will it sound better? and how big should the ports be?

Thanks. :)

Stem
10-06-2007, 06:16 AM
When i push on the cone when its not turned on air comes out of the little tiny hole in the back for the wires.

you made a sealed box.. it should be completely sealed... there should be absolutely no air leaks.

you have to seal up that little hole. make a terminal for the wires or seal up that hole real good.

Immacomputer
10-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Air coming out of the wire hole will not make a drastic difference on the sound.

If you want to go ported, build a new enclosure from scratch; don't try to ghetto your sealed box out.

Fusion_FREAK
10-06-2007, 03:01 PM
My question is, will my sound be better with a ported box?

traksta15
10-06-2007, 03:08 PM
yes it will, just be sure and build the box to specs. It will probably take up more space fyi

Immacomputer
10-06-2007, 04:12 PM
My question is, will my sound be better with a ported box?

It depends on how you define "better".

What do you feel is lacking in the sealed enclosure. Low end extension? Output?

Fusion_FREAK
10-07-2007, 03:10 AM
Right now with it sealed, It sounds kinda week compared to the old piece of crap box i threw together that was ported...

Right now it sounds like its more whirring/buzzing sounds from the box...nothing is lose in the box...so its not screws or any thing vibrating.

One more question, do i just put holes in the box or so i need to use a tube>?

dB-SPL
10-07-2007, 03:20 AM
That 'buzzing' sound is probably a leak.. And you would need to use a tube or one of the walls to slot port it. Holes in it = just a bigger version of the problems you have now.

-Bill-

Fusion_FREAK
10-07-2007, 03:45 AM
The only place where are can even get out of is the two 1/4" holes in the back for the speaker wire. Before I cut the wholes out for the subs I pressurized the box on each side with a compressor and there were no leaks. There is probably about a whole tube of liquid-nail in that ****er.

What im going to do is caulk up the small holes in the back tomorrow and let it dry, then see if it makes a difference.

Can I use pvc pipe for tubes? i have loads of it since my dad is a plumber...

What size should they be and how long should the tubes be?

Fusion_FREAK
10-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I fixed the problem.

one 2" pvc port, 8" long each speaker, its ALOT more bassy, and brings out the lows better than the ported box did.