PDA

View Full Version : Speaker replacement for VW Corrado

Jazz
10-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi,

I am new here and VERY green when it comes to car audio. I do love music however.

Last year i spent over $1500 to have my system installed.
Alpine Head Unit
Alpine Type R component in the front.(tweets in dash, mid bass in door)
All wires were installed to hook up Amps and Subs but they have not been purchased yet.

The first problem was that they HACKED my car up. Door cards and panels were all messed up and screws were missing etc.

The second problem was that after $1500 and my car being butchered, the sound system sound like total junk...its worse, way worse than stock.

There is distortion at high volume and i hear only highs and mids...NO bass. I need to turn the music off after 30 minutes becuase the high give me a piercing headache.

Right now i would want to replace the
dash speakers 4"
door speakers 51/4
rears 4 x 6
i want them all to be 2 ways....i do not want component. the tweets in the dash just does not work.

where do i go from here?

thanks in advance

Jazz

Jazz
10-05-2007, 01:06 PM
zero replies and 1 view

did i post this in the wrong forum?

thanks
Jazz

tRiGgEr
10-05-2007, 01:11 PM
It's going to be tough to teach you how to properly setup a 2way system. IMO you have decent enough equipment. It sounds like it just needs to be setup properly.

First things first. Are you running the components on an amp, or the HU. Also you are not supposed to hear bass from the type-r comp set. They are designed and intended for high/midrange/midbass.

You will need a sub for bass...

mile098
10-05-2007, 01:20 PM
can u put out the models of the speakers and amps?

Gary S
10-05-2007, 03:25 PM
It probably sounds nasty because the tweets are firing at or are too close to the windshield, near-field reflections will do that. Also, you need amps for the power to give you extended frequency response, and a sub. I would get PPI 355cs or Cerwin Vega V-max 5 component set, put the mid in the factory location, put the tweeter in kick panels or doors. No speakers in the dash or rear (other than sub(s).

Twistid
10-05-2007, 03:27 PM
rofl @ 1500 for type r comp's and headunit, unless it was one of those alpine lcd screens or nav system you got ripped off

tbasile1
10-05-2007, 03:31 PM
put the mid in the factory location, put the tweeter in kick panels or doors. No speakers in the dash or rear (other than sub(s).

agreed

Jazz
10-09-2007, 01:38 PM
thanks for all the replies...

--i probbaly did get ripped off but we are talking canadian dollars over 1 year ago and this included installation and wires for amps and subs.

--i will try to post the exact models later today or tomorrow.

--i would like to avoid making any holes in any of my panels. i would rather switch over to 2 way in the doors rather than making holes.

--i am not running any amps at the moment.

--the sound from my tweeters in the dash are driving me insane :crazy:

thanks
Jazz

DejaWiz
10-09-2007, 02:59 PM
If you can take a door panel off, can you post some pics of where the speakers are mounted? I'd also like to see the speaker grill on the door panel as well (front and rear). If you can fit 6.5's in the doors, then it would be very beneficial. As for the tweeters, mounting them in the A-Pillars might be a good idea as well.

An amp will certainly help boost sound quality.

Jazz
10-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Hi

I checked my equipment:

head unit -- Alpine CDA 9833
component speakrs -- SPR-136A 5 1/4
rears -- some pioneer 4 x 6 junk

As mentioned earlier, i do not want to make any holes in any place in the car. I want to use the stock locations only.

My goal here is to come up with the best poassible set-up and equimpement.
I will then try to find a reputable installer to put it together.
I just would like to go into it knowing what i want and how i want it.
I am hoping that this site will help me achieve this.

I am open to all suggestions and buying and amplifier is not a problem.
I dont necessarily want a big subwoofer if i dont have to...but i do like to have some good bass. For example i am happy with the bass that my stock 2007 VW Rabbit put out.

thanks
Jazz

livinlegend
10-10-2007, 06:24 PM
unless you have multiple sclerosis there is no reason you cant install this stuff yourself and save yourself the headache of having someone tear apart and ruin your car. there really is nothing to it

Gary S
10-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Get the speakers I mentioned above and mount the tweeter coax style, on top of the mid in the doors, they come with that option. Add a 4-channel amp and run the rear channels to sub(s) in a box in the rear. You will probably never get decent sound quality out of those dinky speakers unless you add a sub.

This is called a bi-amped subwoofer-satellite system, and is the foundation of all good car systems. You are like a hunter poking an animal with a stick... eventually, you are going to get bitten... quit playing around and do it right.