PDA

View Full Version : where to mount tweets? scion tc

tcguy85
10-02-2007, 12:55 PM
i'm going to get a set of PG RSD's for my scion tc. now the tc has factory components. should i mount the tweet in the stock location or mount them in the pillar or maybe the kick panel? here is a pic of where it's mounted now. its right in front of the door handle in the pic.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/cavalier94sq/IMG_1713.jpg

tEh koRnDog
10-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Is that blue trim on the center console?

I like the look of that.

tcguy85
10-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Is that blue trim on the center console?

I like the look of that.

yea i painted it that color. i plan to color match it to the car though in the near future.

tcguy85
10-02-2007, 09:23 PM
nobody?

kross
10-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Get some double stick tape, and long wire to the tweeters, and stick them in different locations until you find what sounds best to you. Every car is different.

tcguy85
10-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Get some double stick tape, and long wire to the tweeters, and stick them in different locations until you find what sounds best to you. Every car is different.

thats what everybody keeps saying, but i know i can do that. i was just looking for examples of why people say to mount them in certain spots. i'm kinda leaning towards mounting them as high up in the kick panel as i can and pointing the driver at the passenger side and the passenger at the driver side. but i'll try it before permanently mounting them.

gl0ck
10-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Stock locations.

tcguy85
10-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Stock locations.

why do you say that? i was told by a very good source that the stock tweeter location in my car is terrible.

gl0ck
10-02-2007, 10:54 PM
if you have a good off axis tweeter it should be fine, Plus its ****.

gl0ck
10-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Also do you have the pillar airbags i wont play with mine lol.

tcguy85
10-02-2007, 10:59 PM
if you have a good off axis tweeter it should be fine, Plus its ****.

how is it ****? lol

i am planing on getting the PG rsd's. i'm leaning towards the kick. i actually talked to somebody who holds the 2006 SQ world title done with a scion tc. was told to still play around with different places but that the kick is probably best.

johnson
10-03-2007, 11:45 AM
thats what everybody keeps saying, but i know i can do that. i was just looking for examples of why people say to mount them in certain spots. i'm kinda leaning towards mounting them as high up in the kick panel as i can and pointing the driver at the passenger side and the passenger at the driver side. but i'll try it before permanently mounting them.
If you know you can do that then do it.

why do you say that? i was told by a very good source that the stock tweeter location in my car is terrible.
Then why are you asking if you should mount it there in the first place?

DejaWiz
10-03-2007, 12:55 PM
A-pillars would be my choice, but I prefer a higher sound image. Where are the stock locations at in your car?

johnson
10-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Where are the stock locations at in your car?

Right next to the door handle.

DejaWiz
10-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Right next to the door handle.

Ah, so that is indeed what they are. I had a suspicion, but figured I better ask.

Gary S
10-03-2007, 04:30 PM
You have a very good source... stop second guessing it. Mounting the tweeters in the Kick panels is the best compromise. This is because the path lengths for both tweeters to your ears are more equal. As you go from stock - to A-pillar, the difference in distance to a listener becomes greater. This is easy to measure... measurements don't lie.

tcguy85
10-03-2007, 07:28 PM
ok thanks, i made this thread before i talked to the person i was talking about. i'm gonna try a few places but i bet the kick will be my choice.

tcguy85
10-03-2007, 07:38 PM
my "source" sai to mount both the woofer and the tweet in the kick panel, i was just mainly curious as to seeing what people say about keeping the woofer in the door and putting just the tweet in the kick. but like i said i'll try a few places and see how i like it. i'm just worried about having the stage be to low.

Gary S
10-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Both mid and tweets in the kicks would be the best, IF you can get at least a little air space for the mid and IF the enclosure is rigid (not plastic or Q-Forms). Second choice would be mid - stock, tweet - kick.

It can make a world of difference in sound stage and imaging with all the drivers in the kicks, believe it or not.

i'm just worried about having the stage be to low.

- Image will probably be where the windshield meets the dash for center and off-center sounds... except some extreme left or right sounds will tend to localize at the corresponding speaker. This has been referred to as "rainbow effect".

To fix rainbow effect, run rears in surround or off a delay. This only works though for front comps in kicks, and likewise, when near-equal distance path lengths for rear speakers are adhered to. There is no replacement for good speaker placement.

tcguy85
10-03-2007, 09:36 PM
i am keeping the mids in the doors for sure. the woofers are already as low and forward in the doors as possible so.

if i mount the woofers in the stock spots and put the tweeters in the upper most part of the kicks the soundstage might still sound somewhat high? i deffinetly don't want it sounding like my tweeters are on the floor.

Makaveli7haDon
10-04-2007, 09:44 AM
mine are in the kick panels

tcguy85
10-04-2007, 07:08 PM
mine are in the kick panels

just the tweeters? or the mid as well?

how does it sound?

Makaveli7haDon
10-04-2007, 10:04 PM
just the tweets, midbass in the doors. i think it sounds nice. stick it with tape to see where u like it first....people have different taste. some people tell me the tweeters should be up higher to get the sound stage higher but i prefer to have them in the kickers for better imaging.

tcguy85
10-04-2007, 10:22 PM
have a picture of them mounted there?

Makaveli7haDon
10-05-2007, 10:10 AM
i will try to post them later today

tcguy85
10-05-2007, 07:25 PM
that would be greatly appreciated. thanks man.

Makaveli7haDon
10-06-2007, 10:13 PM
pics r here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/makaveli/Pics/tc/
the c608gti tweeters r **** and thats my OZ ME Elite 10.4 sub in the back. Word of advice- I had the kick panels done by one of the top installers in the US so be careful if you decide to do it by yourself and it will possibly affect resale value. the main reason why i put them in the kicks was because it was described as 2nd best position in the c608gti manual. check it out on JBL.com and you will see all the diagrams.

tcguy85
10-06-2007, 10:28 PM
well those pieces can always be replaced, no big deal. i plan to keep this car for a while cause i'm poor. but cool. it looks good. i'm going to try them there first when i get mine.