PDA

View Full Version : So, whats going on here

Konstantin
10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
So 3 days ago I finally got my new amplifier in the mail (Diamond Audio D7 152) and went ahead and installed it. Didnt have much time lately so I only got to finally hear some songs today. Long story short, there are some weird background noises, probably coming from the tweeters.

The speakers are Rainbow Germaniums, rated for 150w per side, and the D7152 is rated 150w x2 so its good match :)

I first noticed these weird sounds in music with lots if guittar and drums, like Metallica. I then tried other CDs to make sure the tweets werent blown and they arent, because the other CDs I tried sounded awesome.

I dont really know how to explain the noise, I notice it when there are lots of drums/guitar notes playing fast, like if there is a small ammount of static in the background.

Now, this is my first time dealing with good quality items so maybe I am reproducing post production distortion, or something like that? Maybe this is what a harsh tweeter means? I have no idea. Could be the music source (I try to have all mp3s at 320kbps, but that doesnt mean that they are free of all errors like distortion or pops). I have the crossovers for the Germs set at the default they come (I think 2200 or 2600). Should I try other settings? Should I go higher, or lower?

I am really lost since I am not used to this :P Could I just be hearing things? Most songs sound crystal clear, at any volume.

mlstrass
10-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Could be crappy recordings or the speakers being pushed too hard and distorting. Is our tweet/treble EQ cranked all the way up? If so try turning it down some...

Konstantin
10-01-2007, 09:44 PM
I had the treble up, but now I turned everything to 0 and all eq off, including Loud. The HU is a kenwood kdc-x890. I turned all EQ off, but didnt have time to listen to many tracks. Will be doing that tommorow.

I guess I should say that I have the gain all the way down.

thefunkybunch
10-01-2007, 09:44 PM
set all your equalization to flat and try it. turn any loudness buttons OFF (they're really just distortion buttons anyways). it's possible your amp is clipping because of the recording... a lot of rock recordings are juiced up so that they 'sound' louder. you could try turning the gains down on the amp some... what are the gains set at now? how did you set them?

if it doesn't do it in anything else, then i wouldn't worry too much about it. just be a little more careful with your volume knob :)

Konstantin
10-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Gain is all the way down.

Anyone can recommend a good track to test? I dont want to use test tones. What are some good quality CDs or artists that have good recordings?

kross
10-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Here are some discs that are recorded well, and will make a good setup sing:

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Alice in Chains - Unplugged
Nirvana - Unplugged

kross
10-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Maybe this is what a harsh tweeter means?

That tweeter is the exact opposite of harsh!

I guess I should say that I have the gain all the way down.

Why is the gain all the way down? Did you determine that to be the proper setting by using a DMM? Or is there another reason?

Konstantin
10-01-2007, 10:09 PM
What does a harsh tweeter sound like?

I have the gain all the way down because I want 0 noise coming from the amp. I used a DMM to set the gain but didnt like the results.

thefunkybunch
10-01-2007, 10:40 PM
any cd from www.chesky.com is a guaranteed great recording. i could play around on that site for hours on end just listening to music and picking cd's to play with.

read this, there's a TON of other info to be found on the other topic, i actually still have a big tech sheet they gave us when we went to the jl audio plant in mirimar that goes into a LOT more detail, and i think it used to be on their website, but can't find it now.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/33549

the727kid
10-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Your not hearing harshness....you couldn't make that tweeter harsh if you tried.

I would say it is poor recordings.

Konstantin
10-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Well, what does it mean that a tweeter is harsh? Maybe I've never heard one doing that before so I dont know :D

Well, I'll find out tommorow if its the recordings.

thefunkybunch
10-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Well, what does it mean that a tweeter is harsh? Maybe I've never heard one doing that before so I dont know :D

go listen to a set of mobile quart or infinity. pretty much anything made by either can fit that category. the jl audio VR's are also up there. anything alpine is up there.

Konstantin
10-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Listened to the full cd of Nirvana - Unplugged and it sounds awesome. Lots of details and depth. Guess it was just a crappy file giving me headaches.

kross
10-03-2007, 01:21 AM
Cool, glad to hear it!