PDA

View Full Version : Time Alignment

CarlosV
10-01-2007, 05:28 PM
I have the pioneer deh-9800 and have the time alignment function but dont know how to measure it from speakers

starkfu
10-01-2007, 05:41 PM
hang a piece of tape where the middle of your head would be and bust out a tape measure.

you then run the distances through a formula and enter the resulting number into the HU.

CarlosV
10-01-2007, 05:56 PM
ok so its from speaker to the middle of my head, and about the formula i think its not necessary because you can input the values on each independent speaker by distance (in/cm)

thansk for your help

60ndown
10-01-2007, 06:01 PM
I have the pioneer deh-9800 and have the time alignment function but dont know how to measure it from speakers

the idea is to have the output from each speaker/sub, arrive at your ears at the same time, becuse some speakers /sub are different distances from you, the time alignment feature can adjust the timing of each speaker. you need to delay the speaker closest to you the most and others less, and the speaker farthest away has zero t.a.

trust your ears not the settings, if you get it right music will start to sound clear and 'up front' not 'behind you'.

CarlosV
10-01-2007, 11:40 PM
the idea is to have the output from each speaker/sub, arrive at your ears at the same time, becuse some speakers /sub are different distances from you, the time alignment feature can adjust the timing of each speaker. you need to delay the speaker closest to you the most and others less, and the speaker farthest away has zero t.a.

trust your ears not the settings, if you get it right music will start to sound clear and 'up front' not 'behind you'.

i tried today and i really improve the sq, but now i have to set the gains on the amp its a 600 something mtx and its 4 channel but i runing in to 2 bridged and feeding 2 bostons sl80 front stage but i think the gains on the left and right its not balance going to have to set the gains whit the multi meter to have them balance

mcsoul
11-14-2008, 07:39 PM
bump this thread to please explain why my Alpine HU Manual suggests to set a lower
ms delay for my front speakers than my rear speakers. It seams bassackwards.

adam71
11-15-2008, 05:08 PM
bump this thread to please explain why my Alpine HU Manual suggests to set a lower

Maybe by LOWER it is referring to "lower distance to the listening area". Such as inches.

UNDERGROUND_BUM
11-15-2008, 05:58 PM
is everybody using time alignment? i dont think my headunit has that feature........... i will be getting a Arc audio IDX/XEQ for processing, is time alignment necessary ?

Rich B
11-15-2008, 06:06 PM

Because you want the sound of your front stage to arrive at your ears before the sound from the rears do.

Lower ms = less time before the sound reaches your ears.

mcsoul
11-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Because you want the sound of your front stage to arrive at your ears before the sound from the rears do.

Lower ms = less time before the sound reaches your ears.

Won't the distance differential take care of that?

And, I want my sub reaching my ears at the same time as my
fronts too. How the heck do I do that other than delaying the
fronts until the sub gets there?

adam71
11-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Won't the distance differential take care of that?

And, I want my sub reaching my ears at the same time as my
fronts too. How the heck do I do that other than delaying the
fronts until the sub gets there?

:rolleyes:republicans:rolleyes:

mcsoul
11-16-2008, 11:59 AM
:rolleyes:republicans:rolleyes:

very helpful, thanks.

Louisiana_CRX
11-17-2008, 10:54 AM
you need to lengthen your sub distance...because it gives the bass waves time to mature ;) your bass will sound richer and lower...much more detail than before...:) but you have to find the point where it matures...you can go to far as well....

headless
11-17-2008, 12:51 PM
...what? Give your bass waves time to mature?

Don't delay your subs at all, if they are in the trunk and far away from you. Delay your front and rear speakers by measuring the distance difference between them and your sub.

A = (B - C) / 34

A: Delay time (ms)
B: Distance from listening position to furthest speaker (cm) (your sub)
C: Distance from listening position to the speaker to be adjusted (cm)

For example... Example:
If you're in the drivers seat,

B: right rear speaker 100cm
C: front left speaker 50cm

Delay time = 100 cm - 50 cm / 34 = 1.47ms - figure 1.5ms.

You need to do this for every speaker independently. You may be surprised; in some cars, your rear speakers are closer to your head than your front speakers are, and you would actually delay them more than your fronts. Be prepared to tweak it a bit, as you may not sit exactly in the same spot when driving around.

mcsoul
11-17-2008, 02:07 PM
...what? Give your bass waves time to mature?

Don't delay your subs at all, if they are in the trunk and far away from you. Delay your front and rear speakers by measuring the distance difference between them and your sub.

A = (B - C) / 34

A: Delay time (ms)
B: Distance from listening position to furthest speaker (cm) (your sub)
C: Distance from listening position to the speaker to be adjusted (cm)

For example... Example:
If you're in the drivers seat,

B: right rear speaker 100cm
C: front left speaker 50cm

Delay time = 100 cm - 50 cm / 34 = 1.47ms - figure 1.5ms.

You need to do this for every speaker independently. You may be surprised; in some cars, your rear speakers are closer to your head than your front speakers are, and you would actually delay them more than your fronts. Be prepared to tweak it a bit, as you may not sit exactly in the same spot when driving around.

This helped out a lot. I set the closest speaker to delay to where I figure the
sub should get there. Like 77 inches worth of milliseconds. Then the other 3
speakers are reduced by an amount in accordance with their distance. So
the front right is like 62" delay, the rear left is like 30" and rear right is like
25" and the subs are 0" worth of delay.

Sounds way better. I reread the manual too, I had it all wrong to begin with.

headless
11-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Just remember, it's not the raw distance...it's the DIFFERENCE in distance that you are compensating for. If your sub is 200cm away and your front right speaker is 70cm away - do not delay your front right for 70cm. Delay it for 200-70cm = 130cm of delay, because that's the amount of distance that you need to 'make up' to make them both SEEM like they are 200cm away. This is where most people mess up.

You don't just measure to your front-right speaker, then take that distance and figure you need to delay it that much...if you did that, then you'd be delaying the entire system by too much or too little. You might like how it sounds, but it'd be whacked out.

mcsoul
11-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Just remember, it's not the raw distance...it's the DIFFERENCE in distance that you are compensating for. You don't just measure to your front-right speaker, then take that distance and figure you need to delay it that much...if you did that, then you'd be delaying the entire system by too much.

Yes, I did the difference. It sounds way better. I will break out the tape measure and remeasure. I think since the sub is rear firing I need to measure all the way to the back of the trunk. Just roughly calculating based on the wrong numbers I had made a world of difference. Thanks.

headless
11-17-2008, 02:14 PM
yeah, i measured to the cone of the sub when i did mine. it's kind of a ***** if you don't have line of sight...and who does? ;)

adam71
11-17-2008, 03:05 PM
I've never owned an Alpine that had TA. But every Pioneer deck I've ever owned you don't set the milliseconds. You just punch in the distance in inches/cm is from the listening position. The processor/deck calculates all the delay times according to this. Didn't realize Alpine decks were so manual about this.

mcsoul
11-17-2008, 05:24 PM
I've never owned an Alpine that had TA. But every Pioneer deck I've ever owned you don't set the milliseconds. You just punch in the distance in inches/cm is from the listening position. The processor/deck calculates all the delay times according to this. Didn't realize Alpine decks were so manual about this.

Yep, the Alpine lets you choose between inches, centimeters and milliseconds.
It's setup setting, not in the time correction menu. It's very unfriendly, but highly
tweakable.

James Bang
11-18-2008, 07:42 PM
balance & phase correction before T/A.

MikeyB
11-18-2008, 07:50 PM
balance & phase correction before T/A.

Word. ^

:laugh:

bass_lover1
11-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Pretty sure with the Pioneer T/A function you don't need to do any calculations, or at least that's how it was on my 880PRS.

You measure the distance from each driver to the listening position and enter that into the HU, and it does the rest for you.

Also, T/A on a sub is retarded, plain and simple. The human ear cannot interpret sound that is less than 1/4 of a wavelength, 1/4 of a wavelength at 30hz is something like 35ft. Swapping the phase 180* on the sub channel is going to have a larger effect than T/A on the sub channel.

mcsoul
11-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Pretty sure with the Pioneer T/A function you don't need to do any calculations, or at least that's how it was on my 880PRS.

You measure the distance from each driver to the listening position and enter that into the HU, and it does the rest for you.

Also, T/A on a sub is retarded, plain and simple. The human ear cannot interpret sound that is less than 1/4 of a wavelength, 1/4 of a wavelength at 30hz is something like 35ft. Swapping the phase 180* on the sub channel is going to have a larger effect than T/A on the sub channel.

The sub is set to zero.