PDA

View Full Version : Alpine fiber optic Changers

volonau
09-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Does anyone know which Alpine 6 disc Changers have the fiber optic outputs?

starkfu
09-28-2007, 08:42 PM
CHA-S634 (I think)

DHA-S680 (fo sho!)

but why would you want a changer?

for that kind of cash, but an ipod

volonau
09-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Ipod has fiber optic output?

squeak9798
09-28-2007, 10:25 PM
CHA-S634 (I think)

Nope.

The S634 is Ai-net only.

The CHA-S624 has optical output, however. But these aren't a newer model so unless you find a shop with NOS you would have to buy one used on ebay or the forums, etc.

starkfu
09-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Ipod has fiber optic output?

no, but it is digital to alpine HU's, even the older ones. My problem is spending the money on technology that is out dated, no one uses CD's anymore....

squeak9798
09-28-2007, 11:09 PM
no, but it is digital to alpine HU's, even the older ones. My problem is spending the money on technology that is out dated, no one uses CD's anymore....

:fyi:

I don't own an Ipod and have zero desire to own one. Don't have a single MP3 on my computer or other storage device. And other than the radio listen strictly to original CD's.

Bought a S624 changer but had to return it to the seller (egay) because it didn't function properly.

Yes.....there are some of us still out there.

Pl8er
09-28-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm honestly not much of a CD guy either. Like to run high bit rate music from harddrive, etc. Much easier to get to than sorting through cd's.

hoss
09-28-2007, 11:24 PM
i agree with the ipod. i have my 30 gig running straight vo files through my alpine, i cant tell a difference at all between that and a CD, especially not running at 40 mph...

my only complaint is the ipod itself. i would MUCH rather just have a HD based music storage solution than an ipod... i have never been fond of them. they are convenient, but thats about all...

starkfu
09-28-2007, 11:27 PM
I guess my confusion comes from you wanting to utilize the fiber optic changer but not wanting to go mp3/ipod/new tech.

hoss
09-28-2007, 11:29 PM
i can understand it...

fiber optic = tiny cable.
RCA/AInet = larger cable.

but iirc, any of the alpines that use the fiber outputs, still have the AInet cable to control it. and on a changer, wouldnt the AInet carry the signal back to the HU? or would you run the fiber to a processor?

volonau
09-29-2007, 12:27 PM
You would use both and direct your processor to play the fiber optic signal.

The SQ difference between a purchased CD and say a mp3 CD, Mp3 player, Sirius radio is huge.
Convenience is good, but I can't ignore better quality sound.

whitemax
09-29-2007, 11:47 PM
I had my CHA-S624 connected to an Alpine PXA-H600, that was a very nice combination. With the Alpine setup the Ai-Net cable is still used to control the changer as well as providing power to it.

I mainly listen to CD's, and do sometimes use the MP3,WMA, Atrac capabilities of my HU. I do agree that these formats are convinient, but when I want to listen to some good tunes.....CD's are the way to go for me.

gijoe
09-30-2007, 01:17 AM
I bought an Ipod and adaptor for my 880 (strange I know since I bought the 880 for sq) I like it, but I always carry at least a few good cd's with me at all time. I'm thinking about going to a 6 or 12 disc changer as well. I'll keep the Ipod for convienience, but I really can't listen to it a lot without being bothered by the sq, even on high bit rate recording. I wouldn't say that old technoligy is a bad thing at all. Sure a changer is bigger and bulkier and not portable, but the sound quality will be better. I say get one!

00RedRT
10-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Bought a S624 changer but had to return it to the seller (egay) because it didn't function properly.

Yes.....there are some of us still out there.

Same thing JUST happened to me. Bought one off eBay and it arrived yesterday. It would power up but would not play any discs. Sent it back to the seller!:mad: God I hate eBay sometimes!:furious:

Still looking for a nice, clean, and functioning S624 changer.:crap: