PDA

View Full Version : 15 XXX Box

Moocow16
03-16-2003, 06:09 PM
Since my dreams of getting 2 15k's was demolished, i've been in search of a new powerplant, and i think i've decided on a single 15" XXX. This being said, i will be in need of a good box for pure spl, and i can concoct a box for daily driving later. Since i have no experience with the XXX, I'm going by what you guys say and what RE says, so i hope you guys are right. As for space, i have plenty, although i would prefer to keep it below 6 cu. ft. any suggestions?

RMKrider1
03-16-2003, 06:58 PM
I've got one in a 5.5 ported box tuned to about 32 running off of a d2 right now and it sounds amazing. Just a suggestion ;)

nswartley
03-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Moocow16
Since my dreams of getting 2 15k's was demolished, i've been in search of a new powerplant, and i think i've decided on a single 15" XXX. This being said, i will be in need of a good box for pure spl, and i can concoct a box for daily driving later. Since i have no experience with the XXX, I'm going by what you guys say and what RE says, so i hope you guys are right. As for space, i have plenty, although i would prefer to keep it below 6 cu. ft. any suggestions?

well, i can tell you what snova will say ;) make the box as big as possible and tune it to the optimum frequency for massive SPL

i3abyjay25
03-16-2003, 07:04 PM
can a box be to big??

Moocow16
03-16-2003, 07:06 PM
i think so, if it gets big enough, might as well not even use a box and just use the car as the box.

RMKrider1
03-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by i3abyjay25
can a box be to big??

Yup!!! I don't know for sure what "to big" would be but there is a cutoff point somewhere

i3abyjay25
03-16-2003, 07:08 PM
yeah thats what i thought, i was just readin some people say the bigger the better.. but eventually, it would be like not even haveing a box

nswartley
03-16-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by RMKrider1
Yup!!! I don't know for sure what "to big" would be but there is a cutoff point somewhere

for competitors.....no :p

bumpin yota put 3 subs in about 27ft^3 or sumthing....

RMKrider1
03-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by nswartley
for competitors.....no :p

bumpin yota put 3 subs in about 27ft^3 or sumthing....

:D Okay I stand corrected ;) Thats fukin huge 27ft^3. What kind and size of subs?

nswartley
03-16-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by RMKrider1
:D Okay I stand corrected ;) Thats fukin huge 27ft^3. What kind and size of subs?

they were dd9515s.....

Alphafrog1
03-17-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Moocow16

sounds familiar... lol that is exactly what i have.

If you are going for totally SPL then don't go by what the website says, that is retarded. You want to have the box as big as possible, probably around 8 cubes. This information came directly from the tech guy at RE, so it is true. Then tune the box somewhere around 55 Hz, depending on what the frequency of your car is. i think that the RE website just gives the minimum requirements... not totally sure why.

If you need anything else just ask.

Mark

Alphafrog1
03-17-2003, 10:32 AM
one other thing, when you go to build the box, make sure that you build some internal braces, because the XXX is a heavy ***** to be sittin on an 8 cubic foot box...

nswartley
03-17-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Alphafrog1
one other thing, when you go to build the box, make sure that you build some internal braces, because the XXX is a heavy ***** to be sittin on an 8 cubic foot box...

or try using 1inch mdf, or even bigger if they have it...

Moocow16
03-17-2003, 11:22 PM
the way i want to have it set up is right behind the rear seats, in a fiberglass box, and the sub will be facing up, the 2 ports on the sides. if i ever get enough money, i'll devise a way to support it but that isn't my biggest concern as of now.

ridered36
03-17-2003, 11:29 PM
I'm in the works of building a 8.5 cubic foot box tuned to 32 hz for my 12" XXX. I'll post some pics when its done so u can get some ideas or something.