PDA

View Full Version : Installing remote door unlock

joshpoints
03-16-2003, 05:38 PM
How difficult would it be to install a remote door unlock with an alarm that has this feature. I have power door locks but I do not have the remote lock/unlock ability. Also I heard one of you say the the crime stopper two way alarms can monitors from 2 miles away. Are you exaggerating or is this a real number?

eengrms
03-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Under good weather and line-of-sight conditions it will go 2 miles.

I don't think I understood your first question correctly. Are you asking how easy it would be to add an keyless entry alarm to your car, or add keyless entry capability to an existing alarm? If your existing alarm can do keyless entry, but you just don't have it hooked up, then it should be pretty simple. If you don't have an existing alarm but want to add one, that can be a little more work. A couple of factors may make it difficult. What kind of vehicle do you have? What brand of alarm is it? How experienced are you? That will let us tell you how hard it would be for you.

joshpoints
03-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by eengrms

I don't think I understood your first question correctly. Are you asking how easy it would be to add an keyless entry alarm to your car, or add keyless entry capability to an existing alarm? If your existing alarm can do keyless entry, but you just don't have it hooked up, then it should be pretty simple. If you don't have an existing alarm but want to add one, that can be a little more work. A couple of factors may make it difficult. What kind of vehicle do you have? What brand of alarm is it? How experienced are you? That will let us tell you how hard it would be for you.

The car currently has no alarm system. The car doesn't have any remote lock/unlock feature from the factory. It is a 1997 saturn with power door locks. I want to get a good two way alarm system. I'm thinking of either a Hornet, or a Crimestopper. Someone said that the Crimestopper can be monitored from 2 miles away. I don't know if that was an exaggeration or if that's a real number. Do you know anything about these two brand alarms two way systems? I need something that can be monitored at least a 1/4 mile away. I have never installed an alarm before but I have wired my car stereo system, the subs, amps and fuses, deck etc.

Thanks for your time and help.

eengrms
03-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Like I said...

Go with the Crimestopper, and while your at it get the remote starter combo, it's got a lot more features and just as easy to install.

joshpoints
03-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Like I said...

Go with the Crimestopper, and while your at it get the remote starter combo, it's got a lot more features and just as easy to install.

Thanks a lot man. So is it a lot more difficult to install an alarm, compared to a stereo system?

eengrms
03-19-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by joshpoints
Thanks a lot man. So is it a lot more difficult to install an alarm, compared to a stereo system?

I wouldn't say it's a lot more difficult, just a little. Most basic car stereo installs (HU, 1 amp, subs) is relatively easy. There aren't a lot of connections or wires. Your basic alarm has quite a few wires and connections to spots you don't normally encounter. Basically with an alarm you interface with the vehicle's wiring system much more than a basic stereo system. It's basically just different, not harder. If you are comfortable with your stereo install ability, then alarm's shouldn't be too hard. Just read the instructions well and come here with any questions you have. Good luck!!

joshpoints
03-20-2003, 02:21 AM
I wouldn't say it's a lot more difficult, just a little. Most basic car stereo installs (HU, 1 amp, subs) is relatively easy. There aren't a lot of connections or wires. Your basic alarm has quite a few wires and connections to spots you don't normally encounter. Basically with an alarm you interface with the vehicle's wiring system much more than a basic stereo system. It's basically just different, not harder. If you are comfortable with your stereo install ability, then alarm's shouldn't be too hard. Just read the instructions well and come here with any questions you have. Good luck!!

Sounds good.
Thanks a whole lot for your time and wisdom.