PDA

View Full Version : 880prs - different problem

mlstrass
09-27-2007, 01:46 AM
So I got it installed the other day and don't have the dreaded whine issues that some have. But the F'ing tuner won't get any radio reception. It's the same "motorola" style antenna plug my Kenwood used, so not sure what's up.

Anyone ever have any issues with the radio getting no reception? I'm calling Pio tech tomorrow, but don't have much faith in them...

I have Local turned off and can only faintly pick up 2 stations that are within 10 miles of my house. When I unplugged the antenna reception actually got a little bit better, but still ***** *** :furious:

tez4life
09-27-2007, 02:28 AM
Thats unusual, Pioneers have always been known for their Tuners. Wish I could help.

mlstrass
09-27-2007, 02:35 AM
Yep, really *****. I'm sure hoping it's something simple, but it's a friggin plug, so not sure what I could be doing wrong. Hopefully tech will have some ideas for me to try. I listen to talk radio about 75% of the time, so I'm going crazy...

tez4life
09-27-2007, 02:50 AM
Prob is, thats sounds like my uncle, always into his talk radio. Think it maybe a defective HU or something?

fwb_1234
09-27-2007, 02:57 AM
Might be a bad connection in the antenna wiring. What kind of car do you have?

mlstrass
09-27-2007, 03:12 AM
2000 Altima. I just swapped out an eXcelon that had perfect radio reception, so not sure what's up with the Pioneer...

CrossFired
09-27-2007, 03:16 AM
So I got it installed the other day and don't have the dreaded whine issues that some have. But the F'ing tuner won't get any radio reception. It's the same "motorola" style antenna plug my Kenwood used, so not sure what's up.

Anyone ever have any issues with the radio getting no reception? I'm calling Pio tech tomorrow, but don't have much faith in them...

I have Local turned off and can only faintly pick up 2 stations that are within 10 miles of my house. When I unplugged the antenna reception actually got a little bit better, but still ***** *** :furious:

Maybe your ant is grounding out? try a peice of wire and see if it works.

fwb_1234
09-27-2007, 03:23 AM
Maybe your ant is grounding out? try a peice of wire and see if it works.

Thats what I was thinking. Any way you could test the HU in a buddies car?

fwb_1234
09-27-2007, 03:24 AM
Your best bet is to call Pioneer tomorrow. They should know what's up.

jmanpc
09-27-2007, 03:26 AM
speak hindi often? might need some lessons in it before you call pioneer's tech support. don't mention the hamburgers you ate, either.

DejaWiz
09-27-2007, 11:39 AM
lmfao good one, jman.

mlstrass, I hope you can get the problem sorted out. I had a similar problem when I put a HU in my Saab years and years ago. The chassis of the radio was pushing the antennae adapter onto some bare metal under the dash. I ended up wrapping it in electrical tape and the problem was no more.

mlstrass
09-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Just got off the phone with Pio tech. He suggested connecting the blue/white from the HU into the solid blue/power antenna wire on the adapter. Car has glass antenna, but he said there could be an amplifier for it, that is powered off the blue wire.

Funny thing is I didn't have it connected that way for the past 5 years and the eXcelon & Pio before this one worked fine. But I'll give it a shot tonight. Option 2 was to buy an aftermarket antenna at Pep Boys to isolate issue to car or HU. I'm still thinking HU since the last 2 worked just fine.

Us old guys and our **** talk radio :crazy:

azbass
09-27-2007, 12:48 PM
what does "local" turned off do? not familiar with that Pio. but maybe there are some different radio settings you are missing..

dont even get me started about the weird *** radio settings on my Ural source.. o_O

mlstrass
09-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Well Kudos to the Pio tech guy as that did the trick. Still can't figure out why the last 2 HU's didn't need to be hooked up that way.

LOCAL will only pull in stations with a VERY strong signal...

tez4life
09-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Glad you got that straight, but that is strange that you had to do that with the current HU and not the other 2.

Oh well, at least its fixed now!!

nismos14
09-28-2007, 01:24 PM
No its typical. To get good reception in Nissans you need the power antenna wire hooked up it sends the signal through the window antenna to get your radio reception. Its odd that the other two worked, this one definately shouldn't have if you didn't have the antenna wire hooked up.

mlstrass
09-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Learned something new which is always cool, but still has me wondering how the other HU's got reception.

Very happy with the HU so far...

JayRich
09-28-2007, 01:28 PM
As far as the alternator whine its a simple fix, i had the same issue with my 8600, and it easy as adding a ground wire, by looping it around one of the main screws and put the other end into the negative rca out going to the amp if you have one, if not i think you could just gound it to a piece of metal on the car. if you search pioneer ground in the head unit section they have some threads on that problem there.

DejaWiz
09-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Glad you got it fixed!

nismos14
09-28-2007, 01:44 PM
As far as the alternator whine its a simple fix, i had the same issue with my 8600, and it easy as adding a ground wire, by looping it around one of the main screws and put the other end into the negative rca out going to the amp if you have one, if not i think you could just gound it to a piece of metal on the car. if you search pioneer ground in the head unit section they have some threads on that problem there.

There's a better fix, requires soldering internally though.