PDA

View Full Version : Quick midbass question

CanIBDom
09-26-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm soon going to replace the Pioneer 4x6s in my front deck with 80-100w RMS components. I can fit both 5.25s and 5x7s up in there...would 5x7s provide significantly better midbass than the other? (My bass will be coming from a 12" at around 150-200w) I'm wondering if there is a general answer to the question or if it would all depend on the sets/brand. Thanks!

dB-SPL
09-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Oval comps FTL. :crap:

-Bill-

tRidiot
09-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Oval comps FTL. :crap:

-Bill-

Tell it to Image Dynamics... I'd bet their new ones out will stomp some serious arse. ;)

To the OP, it all really depends on your overall goal... yes, midbass will likely be better out of a 5x7, but oval COAXIALS tend to generally have a worse REP than round components... not too many oval COMPONENT SETS out there.

However, I've heard a few cars with oval coaxials and decent power, and they sounded pretty **** good... not competition-quality, but for sure good enough for 99.9% of people out there.

dB-SPL
09-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Eh.. I was being a bit biased. But most of the companies out there still insist that the midbass of an oval speaker will be louder due to size comparison, but the clarity of a round speaker is hard to beat. Hence there's very few companies that produce oval component speakers.

-Bill-

CanIBDom
09-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the input! I should have added that my only goal is to make my rock and alternative music sound good inside the vehicle. I'm not trying to wake the neighbors or entertain people at red lights, so it sounds like I'm after the clarity of round comps.

mokedaddy
09-26-2007, 08:50 PM
For the money spent you will usually get a better sounding round driver than oval. Midbass most likely wont be enclosed in the dash so you really wont have anymore advantage going to a 5x7. FWIW I would recommend a nice 5 component set such as the pioneers and either bridge mount the tweeter or on dash, or the pillar, where ever it sounds best.

DejaWiz
09-26-2007, 08:58 PM
What kind of vehicle? I ask because many vehicles that can take a 5x7 can also take a 6.5" by making an mdf adapter.

mokedaddy
09-26-2007, 09:02 PM
It looks like he has 4x6s factory and most of the dash 4x6s i have seen would be quite a chore to wedge a 6.5 in. Not saying it cant be done but at the point why not build kicks or door pods?

DejaWiz
09-26-2007, 09:03 PM
It looks like he has 4x6s factory and most of the dash 4x6s i have seen would be quite a chore to wedge a 6.5 in. Not saying it cant be done but at the point why not build kicks or door pods?

Shoot... missed that they were in the front deck, not front doors. :crazy:

tbasile1
09-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Round Speakers!!

Gary S
09-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Everything being equal, same make and model except for size, the 5X7 will beat the 5" round for midbass... the oval has more piston area, there is no replacement for displacement. It's simple physics.

Problem is, the selection on good value oval comps does not compare to round.

Clarity is not an issue... the saying that oval speakers sound worse than round is a myth... it's just that there are more rounds available with higher quality.

Subwoofer might be a different story.