PDA

View Full Version : how to use the active crossover...

bernardo
09-26-2007, 07:33 PM
I recently buy the Alpine 9887

i have the crossover like this:

LOW 0 80hz FLAT
MID 0 100hz FLAT
HIGH 0 125hz FLAT

How should those numbers be?

i have Polk Audio db6500 in the front and db690 in the back

NO Subwoofer yet

jblayz1
09-26-2007, 08:11 PM
are you doing 2way components up front w/ a sub or front and rears w/ a sub?

bernardo
09-26-2007, 11:21 PM
i dont know that, I install the HU as it comes

i see that you can change it manually in the below of the HU but i didnt change it i just leave the factory settings

alphakenny1
09-27-2007, 12:22 AM
are you using the xovers that come w/ the comps? also looks like you have enabled the 3 way active crossover. you are not running an active setup so go back to standard mode. all you need to do is to High pass the comps, try 80hz@ 12db. same with the rears. the crossovers should say: SUB, Front, Rear. not low, mid, high.

bernardo
09-30-2007, 05:13 PM
i look at the manual and its supposed to be on the 4-2 crossover (sub front rear)
but it isnt, Iread on other Forum that i cant do it becouse i dont have the MultEQ activated, and i can not activated becouse i dont have the imprint module yet.

about the front and rears i already do it on the AMP (PDX 4.100), but i wanted to tune up my HU a little bit more.

i think i will have to wait to the Imprint Module

ngsm13
09-30-2007, 06:00 PM
True.

nG

req
09-30-2007, 06:29 PM
I recently buy the Alpine 9887

i have the crossover like this:

LOW 0 80hz FLAT
MID 0 100hz FLAT
HIGH 0 125hz FLAT

How should those numbers be?

i have Polk Audio db6500 in the front and db690 in the back

NO Subwoofer yet

that is a 3 band parametric equalizer. NOT A CROSSOVER

have a nice day.

St. Dark
10-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Actually, that IS the crossover. "mid" is rear, "high" is front; you want to leave them flat as they are now, since you don't have a sub.

If you want to tune more, then go to the Parametric EQ (which is actually a 5 band) or the Graphic (which is a 7 band, and you have to switch to this) and you can tweak a little there.
Also, you can muck about with the time alignment. If you have not done either of these before (as your post suggests) then read the manual, and do some playing around to get a feel for is happening. Realize that it may take some time to become proficient with the EQ and time correction. Do some research to get an understanding of the processes, and then there's nothing like experience and experimentation. Have fun!

bernardo
10-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Actually, that IS the crossover. "mid" is rear, "high" is front; you want to leave them flat as they are now, since you don't have a sub.

If you want to tune more, then go to the Parametric EQ (which is actually a 5 band) or the Graphic (which is a 7 band, and you have to switch to this) and you can tweak a little there.
Also, you can muck about with the time alignment. If you have not done either of these before (as your post suggests) then read the manual, and do some playing around to get a feel for is happening. Realize that it may take some time to become proficient with the EQ and time correction. Do some research to get an understanding of the processes, and then there's nothing like experience and experimentation. Have fun!

Woow thanks a lot, you really solve all my doubts

thank you, i will research a bit more about the EQ, and i am just waiting to buy the imprint module

jblayz1
10-02-2007, 02:31 PM
i look at the manual and its supposed to be on the 4-2 crossover (sub front rear)
but it isnt, Iread on other Forum that i cant do it becouse i dont have the MultEQ activated, and i can not activated becouse i dont have the imprint module yet.

about the front and rears i already do it on the AMP (PDX 4.100), but i wanted to tune up my HU a little bit more.

i think i will have to wait to the Imprint Module

you don't need the MultEQ to switch from 2.2 to 4.2 there's a switch underneath the HU.

bernardo
10-06-2007, 07:27 PM
you don't need the MultEQ to switch from 2.2 to 4.2 there's a switch underneath the HU.

I already use that switch.

but is still on Low-Mid-High

and its

low subwoofer
Mid rear
high front

as St Dark says

so i did this...

Mid -6 50 hz Slope 12
High -6 63 hz Slope 12

mikey7182
10-10-2007, 01:55 PM
That means you're sending everything 63Hz and up to your tweeters. If you are using your xovers that came with your components, you don't need to use the crossover that way in the headunit. You need to switch the thing on the bottom that changes it to 4.2 so that your xover on the headunit screen will display Front/Rear/Sub. The way you have it set now is designed to run your components actively, so that you can decide what frequencies to send to your sub (Low), what frequencies to send to your Mid (Mid), and what frequencies to send to your Tweeter (High). If you are using the xover that came with your components, the Mid and Tweeter frequencies are already determined, which is why you'd need to switch the button on the bottom of the deck so that you can just do Front/Rear/Sub instead. If you are NOT using the xovers that came with the components, leave it the way it is, but change the Low to 63Hz or 80Hz (play around with it). This will also pick what frequency the Midbass will cross over. Then set the "Mid" setting to around 2.5Khz, and the High to around the same, and play around with it to see what sounds good. The way you have it now, you have everything over 63Hz going to your tweeter. Not good. Hope that helps.

req
10-10-2007, 01:57 PM
wow. thats a retarded interface then.

i <3 my h701. sorry i cant help, it sounds idiotic :D

nismos14
10-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Set it however it sounds good to you. Should have just got a simpler deck, instead of hoppin on the bandwagon.

DejaWiz
10-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Page 16 (PDF page 18) of the owner's manual (http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_CDA-9887.PDF) explains the differences between 2.2ch and 4.2ch settings.

Page 15 explains nature of the crossovers.

If you are in fact running 4.2 mode with the settings you described, then you are have the rears on a HP 50 Hz -12 dB/Oct slope with -6 output level and the fronts on a HP 63 Hz -12 dB/Oct slope with -6 output level.