PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse AVN7000 still the best?

95ZJ
09-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Is the AVN7000 still the best single din nav unit? Anyone have pictures of one installed, or have any experience with the nav interface? Or would I be better off just buying a regular in-dash video unit and a Garmin?

Paddy McTaint
10-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Not sure if it fits your application but I just went with a good cd unit and made a shelf for my laptop in my truck. Works great and then I got MS streets and trips for $100 and I have audio, video, mp3's, dvd and navigation for the price of a tom tom. Doesn't work well with passengers though.

tom2112
10-19-2007, 08:31 PM
I just had an Eclipse AVN7000 installed in my new Crossfire SRT-6. I chose it because it was supposed to be the best. I gotta say that I am sorely disappointed. I'm VERY glad I didn't pay full retail - two thousand dollars - for it!!

What don't I like?
- Poor documentation - very limited amount of info for what is a complicated device
- very little configurability - if you don't like the way the unit works, too bad
- NO UPDATES! - yup, that's right, 2005 nav data and no updates available
- areas with NO nav data - yup, that's right, every online map service has it for free, but not this two thousand dollar 20 gig hard drive - there are areas of the US that it does not have nav data for - my home town is one of them, and I have NEVER found another nav system that didn't cover my home, it's not like i live in Timbuktoo either! It's not downtown NY, but WTF??!??
- reads MP3 CD's, Reads DVD movies, but does NOT read MP3 DVD's! What's that about?
- can use flash memory, but ONLY a 128Mb Sony Memory Stick - not SD cards, not Compact Flash, not USB sticks, WTF?
- menu system is byzantine and user un-friendly

What I DO like:
- nice screen - low res compared to car computers, but nice none-the-less
- sounds good, but I'm no audiophile

Conclusion:
Don't spend two grand on this unit. Look elsewhere. In fact, I'm seriously considering replacing mine with a car PC install. It will cost less and do a LOT more.

m48xhp
10-21-2007, 09:06 PM
What don't I like?
- Poor documentation - very limited amount of info for what is a complicated device
its not all that complicated. ive only referred to my book a couple of times and found the answer i needed.
- very little configurability - if you don't like the way the unit works, too bad
the same, or more configurability than any other nav head unit
- NO UPDATES! - yup, that's right, 2005 nav data and no updates available
ok, this does ****. the eclipse dvd units have updates, but not the HDD units. although, i wouldnt pay for them if they did.
- areas with NO nav data - yup, that's right, every online map service has it for free, but not this two thousand dollar 20 gig hard drive - there are areas of the US that it does not have nav data for - my home town is one of them, and I have NEVER found another nav system that didn't cover my home, it's not like i live in Timbuktoo either! It's not downtown NY, but WTF??!??
again, same as every other nav head unit. you have to pay for all the updates with any brand (that i can think of)
- reads MP3 CD's, Reads DVD movies, but does NOT read MP3 DVD's! What's that about?
just about all of them are like this. there are VERY few (JVC is the only that i can think of) that will play mp3 dvds. and i wouldnt buy a JVC nav system.
- can use flash memory, but ONLY a 128Mb Sony Memory Stick - not SD cards, not Compact Flash, not USB sticks, WTF?
yup, this one *****. before i knew this, i went out and bought a 2gig MSDuo and now i cant use it. BUT, not too many other nav units take ANY kind of cards
- menu system is byzantine and user un-friendly
just as good or better than any other nav head unit.

its hard to compare this or any aftermarket navigation system to a custom carpc, but the avn7000 is BY FAR the best SINGLE DIN navigation unit available still, after 2 years on the market.

if anyone wants one, mine is for sale! i need to get a double din for my new truck.