PDA

View Full Version : Components in the rear?

alz06
09-24-2007, 09:23 AM
I have a 4 door jeep rubicon and am wondering if i should put some components in the rear instead of coaxs. There is a "sound bar" that runs acroos the roof where the rear doors are and it has a set of 6.5 coaxs firing downward. What I was thinking of doing is running the midbass in the stock location and position the tweeter on the sound bar where they face the rear seat. So the system would consist of a set of components components in the front and one in the rear recieving about 150 watts each and a 12 in a sealed enclosure recieving 1000 watts.

sirsaechao
09-24-2007, 09:43 AM
I have a 4 door jeep rubicon and am wondering if i should put some components in the rear instead of coaxs. There is a "sound bar" that runs acroos the roof where the rear doors are and it has a set of 6.5 coaxs firing downward. What I was thinking of doing is running the midbass in the stock location and position the tweeter on the sound bar where they face the rear seat. So the system would consist of a set of components components in the front and one in the rear recieving about 150 watts each and a 12 in a sealed enclosure recieving 1000 watts.

Most, if not all people will tell you about the front staging like when you in a concert. I had the same problem about running rear speakers let alone components in my Tacoma ext cab pickup. Guess what? I went with both front and rear components and I couldn't be more happier. My application might be a bit different since my cab is smaller and closer to me = all 4 speakers in my ear vs a 4 door Rubicon.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/sirsaechao2000/DSCF1092.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/sirsaechao2000/DSCF1094.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/sirsaechao2000/DSCF1095.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/sirsaechao2000/DSCF1093.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/sirsaechao2000/DSCF1096.jpg

///M5
09-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Rears are a waste of money.

alz06
09-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Rears are a waste of money.

why is this a waist of money? bear in mind this is a 4 door and we have people sit in the back. i also think it would sound good when you have the top off and are taking a beer break when camping or four wheeling.

sirsaechao
09-24-2007, 12:43 PM
why is this a waist of money? bear in mind this is a 4 door and we have people sit in the back. i also think it would sound good when you have the top off and are taking a beer break when camping or four wheeling.

alz06 - it is ultimatly your decision. Like I said...people will tell you not to installed rear speakers but I choose to in my truck. I like it load and I find that even with a pair of high end components up front it still can't be as loud as running both front and rear.

DejaWiz
09-24-2007, 01:10 PM
alz06 - it is ultimatly your decision. Like I said...people will tell you not to installed rear speakers but I choose to in my truck. I like it load and I find that even with a pair of high end components up front it still can't be as loud as running both front and rear.

That's going to depend on the equipment used as well as the install itself.

I'm going to venture to say that a single set of Rainbow SLC 265 Kicks ($280 shipped) or CMX 265 Kicks ($330 shipped) on 2x200w rms will give your 2 sets of XR650CSi's ($250 each shipped online, or $400+ each at a local shop) on 75w rms each a serious run for the money ...all else being equal such as the vehicle, any eq'ing, etc.

My advice to you, alz06: take the money you have budgeted for fronts and rears and buy the most speaker (and amp if you need one) you can just for the fronts with that combined money. Disconnect the factory rears and run it that way for a few weeks or more to get used to the soundstaging and imaging. If you still feel it's lacking, then plug the rears in off HU power. If it's still lacking, then start on the path to finding rear replacements and an amp.

Take it in baby steps, as you might like the results of fronts and sub only so much that you need not go any further, thus potentially saving yourself a bit of money.

Louisiana_CRX
09-24-2007, 01:18 PM
A lot of people are not into top notch sound quality SQ ...so if you could care less about imaging...staging ...and proper SQ get a set of good speakers componets or coax's and put the front and rear on an amp and make it loud and clear...:D It can still be loud and clear with the front and rear speakers...and would probally satisfy 90% or more of people with aftermarket car audio.....

DejaWiz
09-24-2007, 01:40 PM
A lot of people are not into top notch sound quality SQ ...so if you could care less about imaging...staging ...and proper SQ get a set of good speakers componets or coax's and put the front and rear on an amp and make it loud and clear...:D It can still be loud and clear with the front and rear speakers...and would probally satisfy 90% or more of people with aftermarket car audio.....

Agreed. But like I said, might as well take it in steps too see what satiates best.

///M5
09-27-2007, 01:17 PM

But with the same budget for both if you put it all into the fronts it should not only sound louder, but also stage better. It is a win-win to put it all the fronts.

SRim23
09-27-2007, 01:27 PM
i can now add to the only fronts argument. after about 2 weeks now i honestly cant tell the difference between my polk momo's in front and my girlfriends 6.5 type r comps in front and rear. even though you will have people in the front and back of the car i think your sub might drown out most of the music in the rear anyway.

when my girlfriend has her subs off and both sets of comps running its a little too much. hurts my ears with both sets going and im half deaf.

3.5Max6spd
09-27-2007, 05:35 PM
In that type of vehicle I dont see why you shouldnt go with rears if you want to. Not quite the best SQ vehicle, lots of road noise and it all goes out the window with the top down. Plus if staging is your concern, theres the fader knob to take the rears out of the equation for your SQ listening- but still have something back there when you are jamming out with the top/windows down.

gijoe
09-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Why do people insist on telling everyone to ditch rear speakers? There are many situations that don't require the ideal sq setup. Sure in a true sq situation ditching the rears is probably your best bet, but not everywhere. I think a Jeep is the perfect vehicle for more than just front comps. Jeeps are noisy as hell, tons of road noise and wind noise, I would surely put speakers in the back of a jeep. Take the top off, park and have a beer with the music on, that sounds like a nice day. To the op, I'd go for it. You wont have an ideal sound stage, but it will be louder and probably fit your needs very well.

alz06
09-27-2007, 10:25 PM
In that type of vehicle I dont see why you shouldnt go with rears if you want to. Not quite the best SQ vehicle, lots of road noise and it all goes out the window with the top down. Plus if staging is your concern, theres the fader knob to take the rears out of the equation for your SQ listening- but still have something back there when you are jamming out with the top/windows down.

exactly. that why i have decided to go with two sets: hertz mlk 165s is the front and hsk 165s in the rear along with a 12" IDMaxx. the hsks will be set up in the overhead sound bar facing the rear. now the question is should i go ported or sealed?

sirsaechao
09-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Like I mentioned...it is ultimatly up to you. I have front and rear components in my Tacoma...a little *** pickup.

CrazedCat
09-28-2007, 01:48 PM
I also have a 4-door Wrangler and you will need some type of rear fill. The cabin is just too big and if you have passengers who you want to enjoy music as well you're gonna need rears otherwise they'll be in a "void" between the highs & midrange from the front and the bass (assuming your sub is in the cargo area). Remember, Wranglers are horrible for SQ as 3.5spd said...road noise and just bad acoustics overall.

Did you install the fronts yet? The dash speakers take some doing to remove. The driver's side is the biggest b!tch to get out. Here's my Jeep's setup. (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681569/5)

jco1385
09-28-2007, 02:03 PM
i've decided i also want comps in the rear. i like it loud. i don't go to competitions and such, so sq is only needed for watching movies. thats what faders are for.

djman37
09-28-2007, 02:04 PM
don't stick anything in your rear.

alz06
09-28-2007, 02:51 PM
I also have a 4-door Wrangler and you will need some type of rear fill. The cabin is just too big and if you have passengers who you want to enjoy music as well you're gonna need rears otherwise they'll be in a "void" between the highs & midrange from the front and the bass (assuming your sub is in the cargo area). Remember, Wranglers are horrible for SQ as 3.5spd said...road noise and just bad acoustics overall.

Did you install the fronts yet? The dash speakers take some doing to remove. The driver's side is the biggest b!tch to get out. Here's my Jeep's setup. (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681569/5)

no i haven't installed anything yet. i have seen your pics and your setup is definitely trick. do you have any complet pics yet? what do you think of my idea of puttig the tweats in the sound bar facing the rear? with the acoutics of the jeep, ported or sealed?

sirsaechao
09-28-2007, 02:55 PM
don't stick anything in your rear.

Is just comes off disturbing and sick...when you put it like that.

tbasile1
09-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Why not just put some coaxials back there, if you dont want to spend out alot of money, or if you dont have a 4ch amp and just a 2ch, just run the coaxs off the hu

CrazedCat
09-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Why not just put some coaxials back there, if you dont want to spend out alot of money, or if you dont have a 4ch amp and just a 2ch, just run the coaxs off the hu

Exactly. Stick a nice pair of coaxials in the soundbar. The imaging will be way off so I wouldn't waste a whole lot of money on rear components.

alz06
09-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Exactly. Stick a nice pair of coaxials in the soundbar. The imaging will be way off so I wouldn't waste a whole lot of money on rear components.

should i run them off the amp or the HU? also, what do you think: ported or sealed?

tbasile1
09-28-2007, 03:27 PM
amping speakers of course will sound better, but coaxials will be fine off of HU power, they are not power hungry like components to make them sound good, but if you have an amp already like a 4ch that you can run your comps off as well, do that!

ported or sealed? neither, just put them in the factory location in your sound bar

Check out the Pioneer REV series coaxials!

DejaWiz
09-28-2007, 04:09 PM
1. should i run them off the amp or the HU?

2. also, what do you think: ported or sealed?

Front comps on amp, rear coaxs off HU.

You talking about a subwoofer, right?

alz06
09-28-2007, 05:38 PM
since you guys are recomending coaxes in the sound bar, i plan on using the hertz hcx 165 powered off the amp.

Front comps on amp, rear coaxs off HU.

You talking about a subwoofer, right?

yeah, i am talking about the 12" idmaxx. i was planning on going sealed but now im thinking i won't get enough volume out of it. what do you guys think?