PDA

View Full Version : MB Quart Discus 6.5" DSD 216 Suspected Fake

Oped
09-24-2007, 03:10 AM
Hey guys,

I bought a pair of Mb Quart 6.5" 2 way components off the net to match another pair of MB Quarts i have just installed. I received them in the mail today and by looking at them i am convinced that they are not genuine.

The reason i'm saying this is (and if any of you guys have MB Quart's you would agree) that when you look at a MB Quart speaker, grille, crossover etc, they are absolutely beautifully and perfectly made. Well these i received aren't. They just do not compare in any way to the other discus 4" speakers i have.

Below I have posted a few pics of them, so what I am after is if anyone else owns a pair of MB Quart DSD 216 (6.5" 2 way components) which are genuine. And if they could tell me if they look geniune or not.

Oh yes, another reason i don't believe they are real. My other MB Quar's came with a hologram authentic sticker on the speaker and box... and these werent packaged well either

However... I may be dead wrong

Thanks from Australia Guys

Oped

phyphoestilic
09-24-2007, 03:19 AM
maybe it was a old used pair

Gary S
09-24-2007, 03:33 AM
The knock-offs I have seen of focals are very obvious... if you already have the same model and are not sure, I would suspect they are genuine.

Speaker quality control can change dramatically from batch to batch and year to year. Different crossover parts especially.

tbasile1
09-24-2007, 06:20 AM
Could they also be the speakers manufactured after MB got bought out?

But they do sound like knock-offs, sometimes it doesnt hurt to spend a few extra dollars on another site to get what you really want

Where did you buy them? eBay?

Oped
09-24-2007, 06:51 AM
Yeh got them from ebay. Here is the link to another pair they have for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-new-MB-QUART-DSD-216-6-5-Component-System_W0QQitemZ200155620715QQihZ010QQcategoryZ130 673QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I took a risk thinking i could get them this cheap. But does anyone know if all MB Quartz speakers have had authenticy hologram stickers on them for the past few years?

Oh yeh this is how they came in the box

mlstrass
09-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Could just be NOS = new old stock from maybe a few years back. Could always carefully hook them up and if they don't sound/perform right then return em...

alxmlr789
09-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Yeh got them from ebay. Here is the link to another pair they have for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-new-MB-QUART-DSD-216-6-5-Component-System_W0QQitemZ200155620715QQihZ010QQcategoryZ130 673QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I took a risk thinking i could get them this cheap. But does anyone know if all MB Quartz speakers have had authenticy hologram stickers on them for the past few years?

Oh yeh this is how they came in the box

I think they look fine, packaged ******, but still the right speakers, hook them up and give them a whirl, if they arent right, return em.

On another note, i would reccomend buying from an audio store on ebay that has over 1000.. some people cannot be trusted, ya know?

Were yours also "brand new"?

95BlackGA
09-24-2007, 08:20 AM
I was thinking just B stock, or someone bought some speakers that weren't even good enough for B stock, until I saw the packaging. I would say they are used, and have been used a lot. It came with a warranty, ship them back, or if you paid through PayPal, start a claim. Those are clearly not as described. Definitely not what they would look like if they came directly from the factory. (I know this isn't directly from the factory, but they shouldn't be opened and should be factory sealed upon arrival.)

Oped
09-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Yeh, maybe you guys are right. I may be jumping to conclusions... ive got to butcher my door first :( and get the pods in to give em a whirl so ill let you guys know.
Thanks for your help guys

Oh yeh, do you guys think i should mount em with or without pods... I have a 1989 supra and they are going in the front door. Either way I have to cut a hole somewhere :(

alxmlr789
09-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Pods as in fiberglass door pods? Kick panel pods?

95BlackGA
09-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Are they just foam baffles, that look like cups?

Oped
09-24-2007, 09:35 AM
They are fibreglass door pods. The triangular kinda ones which angle the speaker up towards you.

alxmlr789
09-24-2007, 11:04 AM
i dont understand.. pics?

tbasile1
09-24-2007, 02:30 PM
i dont understand.. pics?

yea post some pics :)

jmanpc
09-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Those are the real thing. I'm an MBQ junkie, and had the DSC213, and their packaging and whatnot was almost exactly the same. Those xovers are the real deal, and that mid is the real deal.

They might not be up to your expectations because they're much older (those look to be from the late 90's to early 2000s) and because they're MBQ's lowest line.

Hoodlum007
09-25-2007, 01:56 PM
All Mb Quart speakers have serial numbers on the speakers and boxes, check the serial numbers and contact MBQ and they will tell you if the speaker is original, fake or refurb.