PDA

View Full Version : porting



MaXiMa
03-15-2003, 05:20 PM
ok guys i am willing to bet i am not the only one here who does not know how to port to a specific Hz. anybody know the formulas or helpful hints on how to do it. also is there like a good all around Hz range for subs?

dbhittin
03-15-2003, 05:25 PM
street use, everyday listening, 33 to 38, 35 is the best. all out spl 40+ tune to your car freq.

Randy Savage
03-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by MaXiMa
ok guys i am willing to bet i am not the only one here who does not know how to port to a specific Hz. anybody know the formulas or helpful hints on how to do it. also is there like a good all around Hz range for subs? I use WinISD. If you want, tell me the subs, dimensions you have to work with, and tuning(daily driving I'd say 30-40 Hz) and I can give you port size and such.;)

MaXiMa
03-15-2003, 06:59 PM
i am going for all out spl and i plan on using 15" flame Q's but i dunno hwat size box. i was thinkin probably like 2.5 cubic feet per sub. jsut a rough estimate. ok another question what do the dimensions of the port size mean. i mean i see something like 12"h 4"w and like 4L. that is purely figurative numbers but if u r tlaking about a hole that is a big hole!

Randy Savage
03-15-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by MaXiMa
i am going for all out spl and i plan on using 15" flame Q's but i dunno hwat size box. i was thinkin probably like 2.5 cubic feet per sub. jsut a rough estimate. ok another question what do the dimensions of the port size mean. i mean i see something like 12"h 4"w and like 4L. that is purely figurative numbers but if u r tlaking about a hole that is a big hole! 15"Flame Q's need a whole lot more room than that for all out SPL, I'd give them 4-5 cubes a piece...

The dimensions of the port size determine the tuning frequency.

Example- a round port will be 4" in diameter, and 10" long, that will be tuned to a certain frequency, determined by the size of the port and box.

A slot port will be, lets say 15" high, 4" wide, and 15" deep.

MaXiMa
03-15-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by snova031
15"Flame Q's need a whole lot more room than that for all out SPL, I'd give them 4-5 cubes a piece...

The dimensions of the port size determine the tuning frequency.

Example- a round port will be 4" in diameter, and 10" long, that will be tuned to a certain frequency, determined by the size of the port and box.

A slot port will be, lets say 15" high, 4" wide, and 15" deep.


ok how is a round port 10"s long? ok with a slot port u r basically sayin i need a big *** hole??!?! i am still confused on y u need a hole taht is more than a foot tall and 4" wide is htat a big hole to yall? that is huge to me

Randy Savage
03-15-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by MaXiMa
ok how is a round port 10"s long? ok with a slot port u r basically sayin i need a big *** hole??!?! i am still confused on y u need a hole taht is more than a foot tall and 4" wide is htat a big hole to yall? that is huge to me Basically, you will need a big *** hole, if the tuning requires it. Take a look at my gallery, there is a pic of my box w/o the top on that shows the port. My port is 14.5" high, 4" wide, and 23" deep. Since my box is only 20" deep, I had to bend the port in the corner. Get it?

ridered36
03-16-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by dbhittin
street use, everyday listening, 33 to 38, 35 is the best. all out spl 40+ tune to your car freq.

No, you dont tune exactly to the car's resonant freq. You tune it so that it PEAKS at that freq. A good rule of thumb is to tune it anywhere from 2-11 hz below the resonant freq.

MaXiMa
03-16-2003, 12:38 PM
ok i finally get this ****. ok i see that i basically have to create a mammoth hole in my box for it to sound right.

RMKrider1
03-16-2003, 12:50 PM
Well.....Pretty much! But you can't just put a "big ***" hole in your box and expect it to sound good;) There is a lot of figuring that goes into ports.