PDA

View Full Version : trouble fitting alpine speakers

froogle29
09-22-2007, 06:38 AM
Hi. I was looking around for an answer that I couldn't find and ran into this forum. I just bought a pair of 6 1/2 Alpine Type-R Component Set Speakers for my 98 civic ex front doors. I couldn't install it so I brought it to a shop for installation. They told me that the speakers won't fit because it's block the operation of the window. Is there any way to install these speakers because I think it's too late for me to return the speakers. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

phyphoestilic
09-22-2007, 06:55 AM
make a baffle outta MDF.

froogle29
09-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Sorry I didn't mention it before. But I'm new to cars and I have no idea at all about cars. So does this mean that it's still possible to install these speakers as long as I create a baffle? Can you explain to me how I can do this or what I have to buy and what I have to do? Thanks and sorry about all the questions

Gary S
09-22-2007, 02:41 PM
You can buy plastic speaker extenders or make them out of wood to gain more mounting depth so the back of the speaker magnet will not bump the window... 1/4", 1/2", 5/8", whatever you need. But if you are using factory grills, you have to measure how far the speaker will protrude... in other words, don't make the speaker spacer so thick the front of the speaker/rubber speaker surround touches the grill.

You might not have enough room, maybe that's why the shop said what they said... but I would get a second opinion, and mention making a spacer.

Do a search of this forum and the web for speaker spacer, depth extender, baffle, mdf baffle.

MorningWood
09-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Do you know the mounting depth of the speakers and the depth you have to work with?

froogle29
09-25-2007, 10:00 PM
I have no idea what the mounting depth is. However, when I was searching around I seen someone mention that it was 3" deep, but I'm not sure if it's an estimate or not. Are there any shops that know how to do this? Every time I call a shop and ask them can they install it, they give me the same answer "If it gets in the way of the operation of the window, then it won't work." From what you guys are telling me, there is still a way that I can install these speakers. If I don't install them, I don't want to resell them because I had to drive a distance to get these speakers. I have no idea how to customize anything (I'm clueless about almost everything lol).

Assume that these speakers won't fit no matter what I do, what other speakers out there are comparable to the Alpine-Type R's with a smaller magnet that will fit into a 98 civic ex for sure?

Thanks