PDA

View Full Version : Anyone stainesed MDF. pics?

budget76
09-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Well, I have to sand it down smooth anyway, so might as well see if it's possible/how it looks to stain MDF. I would assume the smooth layer would have to be sanded off, but i will be doing that anyway, and I would clear coat after if stained.

Building my box in shop class because the tools are set up vs digging through the shed to get to them, and can't test until Monday, and that's when I'd like to stain it if it's possible. If I don't like it, I can eventually carpet it, but I want to see if staining's possible first.

I'd appreciate any pics:cool:

joetama
09-21-2007, 05:38 PM
IT doesn't work good... :fyi:

Flipx99
09-21-2007, 05:40 PM
I can't doesn't stain easily...then it puddles

joetama
09-21-2007, 05:43 PM
I can't doesn't stain easily...then it puddles

Like supa_s mom?

InhumanAcura
09-21-2007, 05:59 PM
why would you even want to stain it?

MemphisCherokee
09-21-2007, 06:02 PM
i swear, a thread like this appears ever month

joetama
09-21-2007, 06:04 PM
twice a month actually...

dragnix
09-21-2007, 06:07 PM
it's just gonna turn a solid color since there's no grain on the wood, painting it with spray paint would probably be cheaper

joetama
09-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Actually... I'm sorry, we have all been lying to you. You are the first person to ask this question. Also, MDF stains beautifully. You will love it, looks better than any other wood. A wood working trade secret is to cover oak, birch, cherry or other low quality junk woods that look terrible with MDF so it looks super good when the stain is applied...

Immacomputer
09-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Well staining can work and it can look decent but not like other woods that actually have a grain to show off.

A dark stain can allow the MDF to look deep yet textured. I did it with a dark walnut stain and it turned out decent. The biggest pain is getting the stain on even because it will soak it up right away. Make sure to use some pre-stain wood treatment.

This is a bad picture of it, but you can get an idea. It's really dirty and scratched as it was in the back of my hatch with my bike.
http://i11.tinypic.com/5yhbns1.jpg

If you want some more pictures, I can take some and post them later.

InhumanAcura
09-21-2007, 06:13 PM
why not just use some birch ply and stain it..rather than some mdf, i mean wtf

joetama
09-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Nice and brown....

Like poop....

SkatinBassPLaya
09-21-2007, 06:17 PM
ohhhhh baby

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/falasiri123/cabs003.jpg

its not mdf though, its 1/2 inch slightly burled mohagony capped on pine.

joetama
09-21-2007, 06:18 PM
You could get one of those paint kits that will paint on wood grain... :fyi:

budget76
09-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Ok, i'm a ******* for not searching first. I know it has no grain and will look like **** compared to staining real wood, but I know right now I have zero skills at carpeting, and was exploring my options. I don't want it a gloss paint, so I guess it's either going to be flat black, or i'll work on carpeting it. I asked because I have the stain and everything for free, and figured what do I have to lose besides time.

Immacomputer, thanks for the pic, appreciate it. It doesn't look bad compared to what I pictured it would. Not sure if it'll go with my truck though, even with a dark stain and a bunch of coats.

And I was planning on using birch over MDF and using a dark stain on it, but at the time I didn't have the extra $20 or more for the birch. Also, I knew it wasn't going to turn out perfect and pretty like I'd want with birch, since it's my first box build.

UCF52
09-21-2007, 10:15 PM
I stained a box for fun once and it came out better than I thought, but it still is pretty crappy looking. Try looking into fleckstone, hammered paint (http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234175&highlight=hammered+paint&page=2), or spray-on bedliner.

mlstrass
09-21-2007, 11:25 PM
x2 on fleckstone or hammered. I use them all the time and they look nice and will cover an unperfect surface, so it doesn't have to be smooth as a baby's ***.

Wally World has several colors of fleckstone, but I've never been able to fine blue or red hammertone locally.

budget76
09-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I think you just convinced me to use the hammered paint. I've used it before on my bumpers/axles/springs ect., but wasn't sure how it would look on a sub box. I've got it downstairs already leftover from past stuff, so that's what I'll go with.

UCF52, thanks for posting the pics, you convinced me to go with hammered instead of ugly flat black.

UCF52
09-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I think you just convinced me to use the hammered paint. I've used it before on my bumpers/axles/springs ect., but wasn't sure how it would look on a sub box. I've got it downstairs already leftover from past stuff, so that's what I'll go with.

UCF52, thanks for posting the pics, you convinced me to go with hammered instead of ugly flat black.

You got it man. Post up some pics when you get it finished; I may try out the hammered paint as well.

NeverEnuffBass
09-22-2007, 08:18 PM
I used fleckstone for the first time the other day, for now on I'll be using in to cover the insides of all ampracks and similar projects I do

Rattlebrain
09-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Ive used fleck-stone on several occasions and it makes for a really nice finish IMO.
Putting a few coats of clear over the fleck looks really good too.

smullen
09-22-2007, 08:40 PM
I've covered MDF and different types of plywood with a thin coat of resin, sanded it, primed it and painted it with automotive paint to match the vehicle it was going in and it turned out pretty nice...

UCF52
09-22-2007, 08:53 PM
I used fleckstone for the first time the other day, for now on I'll be using in to cover the insides of all ampracks and similar projects I do

I was just looking at your thread that has the Powerbass install in the Jetta, that is fleckstone inside of the amprack correct?

ngsm13
09-22-2007, 09:08 PM
why not just use some birch ply and stain it..rather than some mdf, i mean wtf

No ****. WTF.

Nice and brown....

Like poop....

p00p indeed!

nG

joetama
09-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Sorry I spelled p00p wrong...

budget76
09-23-2007, 11:05 AM
You got it man. Post up some pics when you get it finished; I may try out the hammered paint as well.

Will do. Probably have them up by next Friday.

95BlackGA
09-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Well, I have to sand it down smooth anyway, so might as well see if it's possible/how it looks to stain MDF. I would assume the smooth layer would have to be sanded off, but i will be doing that anyway, and I would clear coat after if stained.

Building my box in shop class because the tools are set up vs digging through the shed to get to them, and can't test until Monday, and that's when I'd like to stain it if it's possible. If I don't like it, I can eventually carpet it, but I want to see if staining's possible first.

I'd appreciate any pics:cool:

Off topic, but you're not the only one on here with a Scout. I have a 1978 Scout II. :D Except, I have a Scout II 'Selective Edition.' It's beat up, quite a bit, but I plan on restoring it, once I find another Scout.

budget76
09-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Off topic, but you're not the only one on here with a Scout. I have a 1978 Scout II. :D Except, I have a Scout II 'Selective Edition.' It's beat up, quite a bit, but I plan on restoring it, once I find another Scout.

cool, kind of surprised, I never thought someone into car audio would own a scout. Just figured i'm kind of an oddball:crazy: I'll post up a pic of mine in summer mode when I post the box pics.

95BlackGA
09-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Here's mine. Has done some serious crawling, all on stock suspension. I've put the 'big dogs' to shame down here. It's currently in the shop, 'cause of the rear axle. All them dents are from me, before I knew that this was a 'rare' vehicle. I may have found another exactly like mine, but he's wanting $4,000 for it. 50,000 miles on it though. :yumyum: Great trucks, and would never give mine up. The white truck next to it, is my summer truck, it's a '79 Chevy Silverado, and it's a ***** compared to this one...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g149/JeremiahChristopher/ScoutII002.jpg