PDA

View Full Version : Help me: box design

brady-lamb-ctfb
09-21-2007, 02:11 AM
Hey guys i was just wonderin if someone could help me make a box for a 18" sub that i can fit in my trunk... see i got a huge *** trunk but the problem comes getting the box IN the trun the hole is at a wierd angle or something let me know what i need to measure and ill give u all the info u need plz and thank ya

mlstrass
09-21-2007, 03:42 AM
You need to know the trunk opening as that's the limit to what will fit. Can you go through the rear seat? What kind of car/year?

Once you have a solid idea of what should fit I'd build a "test" box out of 1x2's, so it's just a frame of the actual box you'd want to build. If it fits then you're golden.

brady-lamb-ctfb
09-21-2007, 11:59 AM
its a 1993 525i BMW no i wish i could but its a like a god dang steel cage back there lol i got a 2X3 hole that i can stick an arm or head in there but thats it and ill do the measurin tonite thanks

PV Audio
09-21-2007, 01:38 PM
It kinda helps to know what sub it is.

SyKo13
09-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Build the box in the trunk

brady-lamb-ctfb
09-22-2007, 03:24 PM
sry guys i couldnt get the measurements last night i forgot i had a football game ill get it done either tonite or tomorrow i gotta ref pee wee football all day so if i got time ill do it

the sub is either going to be a 18" DD or 18" BTL i havent really decided yet it pretty much w/e i find first that is a good deal but i want it to hit low hard n loud

thanks

jmoneypierce21
09-25-2007, 12:33 PM
hey its me brady-lamb-ctfb im on my buddies black jack so im not loggin in to my acct

anyway i got my trunk measurements

from top to bottom its 17in

from the top of the opening to the bottom lip of the trunk (theprts where the trunk is seed off) is 18.5in

and from side to side of the trunk opening is 40in

sorry it took so long been really busy

Injected54
09-25-2007, 02:59 PM
I had the same problem a few years back on my beamer. Here's what I did, worked out good for me.

Pull the rear seat out top and bottom. Take a sawzall and cut out the steel on the back wall. If ya can try and keep the seat brackets in place on the back wall when cutting, if not make a brackets for it later. You can keep the metal ya cut out around in case ya want to put it back in but I didn't, ya don't need it I just tossed it. Slide your box in, might have to take out your front seats depending on size of box. Buy some flat stock steel and make a few braces for support that go up and down the opening. Put your seats back in and your good to go.

mlstrass
09-25-2007, 04:59 PM
x2 as that will honestly be the easiest way to do it, unless you're comfortable building the box in the trunk.

brady-lamb-ctfb
09-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Thats actually a really good idea... im really surprised i didnt think abou that... i considered cutting the steel wall out and making it a wall off but because the battery sits there i couldnt do that and i didnt want to have a 4 door car that sat 2 ppl lol and i never though of bolting brackets back in place for support ...

thats definately the best idea i have heard yet but if there is anyone who can give me demensions for a box so i can just slide it in i would rather do that...

thanks a lot injected 54