PDA

View Full Version : CV axle

DubbDesigns
09-21-2007, 12:36 AM
I believe my drivers side cv axle is going out. When I start to take off I can hear some popping coming from that area. It's not very loud. Kinda sounds like when your engine is hot and you turn the car off and you can here the metal popping and what not. When I am on gravel going slow in first gear it is more noticeable. Going to my mechanic tomorrow to see what he thinks. But before I go there what do some of you think it is?

bibby
09-21-2007, 12:37 AM
My civic is doing the exact same thing, i am in for responces!

JT1979
09-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Does it do it more when you turn to the R or L?

Remove the wheel and grab the CV axel and see if you can move it.

On the Honda, they are FAMOUS for the CV axels going out.

Replce both though, and not just one. You will constantly have this problem if you do this.

DubbDesigns
09-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Does it do it more when you turn to the R or L?

Remove the wheel and grab the CV axel and see if you can move it.

On the Honda, they are FAMOUS for the CV axels going out.

Replce both though, and not just one. You will constantly have this problem if you do this.

seems like it does it more when I turn to the right

JT1979
09-21-2007, 12:55 AM
seems like it does it more when I turn to the right

CV axel then
best to find a shop that will let you buy the axel and just do the labor for you. axel isnt bad fron autozone or advance. labor here in florida is like $80-$100 for install

DubbDesigns
09-21-2007, 01:01 AM
CV axel then
best to find a shop that will let you buy the axel and just do the labor for you. axel isnt bad fron autozone or advance. labor here in florida is like $80-$100 for install

Yeah I have a real good mechanic. He does alot of stuff for me for free, but might charge a little bit depending on how much time it takes. Found the axles on ebay for around $62 shipped each. Looked at advance the cheapest they had was around $80; however, if I order it off ebay I have to wait a minimum of 3 days, possibly up to a maximum or 7 days. Prolly worth the extra money to get it locally within a day not to mention the warranty.

Had one go out along time ago on my old altima, it lasted for a long time before we replaced it. Iam afraid to drive the car knowing that something is wrong with it tho, especially since I still owe money on it.

You think its safe to drive another ~250 miles? I put alot of miles on my car in 3 days

JT1979
09-21-2007, 01:05 AM
Yeah I have a real good mechanic. He does alot of stuff for me for free, but might charge a little bit depending on how much time it takes. Found the axles on ebay for around $62 shipped each. Looked at advance the cheapest they had was around $80; however, if I order it off ebay I have to wait a minimum of 3 days, possibly up to a maximum or 7 days. Prolly worth the extra money to get it locally within a day not to mention the warranty.

Had one go out along time ago on my old altima, it lasted for a long time before we replaced it. Iam afraid to drive the car knowing that something is wrong with it tho, especially since I still owe money on it.

You think its safe to drive another ~250 miles? I put alot of miles on my car in 3 days

You should be fine if it just started. some ppl drive thousands of miles on them. I'd get one locally just so you will have the Lifetime warranty on it. Great thing to have. e-Bay, you will not get the warranty you can locally.

DubbDesigns
09-21-2007, 01:13 AM
You should be fine if it just started. some ppl drive thousands of miles on them. I'd get one locally just so you will have the Lifetime warranty on it. Great thing to have. e-Bay, you will not get the warranty you can locally.

Looked at the prices at autozone and they want $160 for drivers side and $180 for passenger side. Thats including the core, which is not very much.

The ones on ebay are remanufactured ones and they come with a one year warranty

DubbDesigns
09-21-2007, 01:15 AM
I guess I will check with my mechanic in the morning. We have a local parts shop that is pretty cheap. I will see what its gonna cost me before making a decision.

Looks like I wont be getting my new rims and tires any time soon now :(

Gotta replace the rims cuz one of them is not able to be balanced for some reason :confused:

DubbDesigns
09-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Its not making the noise anymore :confused: drove it to repair shop and to parts shops looking for parts and by the time i got home it quit making the noise. Drove across gravels, took off slowly on gravels, took off normally on gravel. Turned the wheel all the way left and took off, turned the wheel all the way right and took off all with no popping ??? My car fixeded itself?

squeak12
09-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Most of the time, if the axle is popping its still driveable. The boot is probably busted on has a pin hole in it and threw the grease out. There is nothing in there to lubricate and keep the bearings in the race EXTREMELY tight. Sometimes if dirt, etc. get in it, it will wear a small groove in the race or another part and cause the cv to "click" when it hits the groove.

rtillaree
09-21-2007, 01:20 PM
average cost of a purchase and installation from a shop depending on car is roughly $140 - $200 per axle...is the boot cracked and dried out?

bibby
09-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Mine does it more when i turn to the left, out of the right side, but has recently started doing it very small from the left side as well. I have replaced 2 axles on my passenger side for a busted boot, the this one busted, and i figured i'd just ride it til it started clicking. So two new axles, and i'm good to go? I guess i'll do that along with my drop! :(

DubbDesigns
09-21-2007, 01:53 PM
I took a quick glance at the boot and it looks like its fine. I will be taking the wheel off later to get a close look at it.

The repair shop said that they would do it for $90 with me providing the parts. Went to advanced auto and they said that they could only get the shafts for auto trannys and mines a manual. The auto was $79 each. Went to autozone they said it would be $130 for one side plus $80 core and $120 for the other side plus $80 core. Found some on ebay for $78 shipped for each side plus lifetime warranty with $15 core included in the price, so if I send the old ones back will get $15 back for each

jdawg
09-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Are you good with learning how to fix things yourself? They are cake to change. No special tools needed. You might get a few drops of trans fluid when you pull the shaft.

DubbDesigns
09-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Are you good with learning how to fix things yourself? They are cake to change. No special tools needed. You might get a few drops of trans fluid when you pull the shaft.

Don't have nothing to get my car jacked up high enough. Would rather have it done professionally. My car has a manual transmission and ABS

DubbDesigns
09-21-2007, 02:31 PM
boot looks fine. Jacked it up a little and looked at it. Shaft seems solid and shake it or anything. I did notice some fresh "stuff" on the control arm. Will post up a pic and see what you think

DubbDesigns
09-21-2007, 02:44 PM
http://taintedminds.com/cv/DSC00348.JPG
http://taintedminds.com/cv/DSC00349.JPG
http://taintedminds.com/cv/DSC00350.JPG
http://taintedminds.com/cv/DSC00351.JPG
http://taintedminds.com/cv/DSC00352.JPG
http://taintedminds.com/cv/DSC00353.JPG

Pics of stuff on control arm and the boots

Ferendon
09-25-2007, 12:29 PM
There's a snap ring inside there that holds the knuckles in place. It's possible that it slipped for a while, but it's back in place now. Doesn't mean that you don't need to replace the axle, just means it's not going to be apparent that it's bad, for the time being.