PDA

View Full Version : Alpine H650 installed in my car

oneiztoomany
09-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Sup everyone,

I was able to be one of the first people to get my hands on a H650. I did not install the unit however the shop that did said it was FAR more difficult to tune properly than advertised. Part of this may be due to the fact that I am using a stock HU but that IS what this product is designed for anyways isn't it?

This shop has an impeccable reputation and has been in the business for decades. So I do not blame them for difficulties with tuning with this unit.

Another negative which I am not sure I can live with yet is that you can no longer use the volume control on the headunit. All volume control must be done through the supplied remote control OR via steering wheel aftering installing a steering wheel control adapter.

Using the steering wheel control adapter has the negative side effect of disabling the ability to change CD tracks AND change what mode you want (CD, radio, oR aux)

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to listen to the system very long because i need to have it sent in for suspension work. After i get it back I am going to drive around with it and test it out for a couple weeks.

IF I am not sold on the setup at that point I am most likely going to remove it and go a different route like the 701 with a controller.

azbass
09-19-2007, 08:55 PM
neat. details on system? car it's in?

oneiztoomany
09-19-2007, 09:02 PM
i have a 2004 acura tsx -using factory headunit
alpine type x 6.5 comps
alpine type s 6.5 coax for rear
alpine H650 processor
alpine 4.100 pdx amp
alpine 1.600 pxx amp
single JL audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

oneiztoomany
09-20-2007, 09:30 AM
wow i am suprised that only 1 person replied to this thread seeing how this product has just been released.

frzninvt
09-20-2007, 09:35 AM
A system is only as good as it's weakest link (i.e. factory head unit) for the money spent on the H650 you could have got a much better HU with better SQ and got the necessary interfaces to use the steering wheel and other controls.

With the components that you have listed in your signature the factory HU is definately your weakest link.

oneiztoomany
09-20-2007, 09:52 AM
problem is that my factory HU is integrated into my dash like a MOFO and i was considering doing a custom screen but that would have made my car a thief magnet.

what would you suggest?

frzninvt
09-20-2007, 10:09 AM
It seems that you already took the logical and sensible route. I would give it some more time and maybe tuning before making a final judgement.

Despite the idiosyncrasies of the processor operation hows does it sound to you?

oneiztoomany
09-20-2007, 10:19 AM
it sounds pretty decent, i just dont think i will be content without my HU volume control and not being able to change CD tracks with my steering wheel.

if i can achieve similiar SQ with 701 + controller and get all my controls back i am game.

my factory HU has a flat signal as long as i bypass the factory amp.

oneiztoomany
09-23-2007, 07:36 PM
ok well i am going to be tossing the H650 and eliminating my stock HU from the equation. since my stock HU is such a PITA to remove completely without losing other things like AC and heating controls I am going to install an aftermarket deck in a lower compartment that is below. it will look something like this...except for i will have a CDA-9887 there. wish me luck!!!

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360788&highlight=attachment