PDA

View Full Version : hertz mlk 165 vs hertz m2

gamecock guru
09-19-2007, 09:33 PM
i've been wanting to do my own d.i.y. system but today i found a super sweet deal on some hertz mlk 165's. they don't carry the mlk 165's in stock- soo, i couldn't listen to them. does anybody have any experience with the mlk 165's? what's the huge diffierence in sound between the mlk 165's and m2's? i know the m2's come with a ribbon tweeter. i listen to mostly metal, so i'm looking for a compoenet that will really crank and provide a decent amount of midbass.

Megalomaniac
09-19-2007, 09:38 PM
you wont be dissapointed with the mille line at all. even the 2-ways.

tbasile1
09-19-2007, 09:55 PM
you wont be dissapointed with the mille line at all. even the 2-ways.

x2

Hertz speakers are top notch! Sounds like a good deal, how much do the MLKs retail for, im not too sharp on Hertz prices yet lol

datboiroy
09-19-2007, 10:07 PM
mlk165 retail for 999 as what car audio magazine stated.

tbasile1
09-19-2007, 10:33 PM
mlk165 retail for 999 as what car audio magazine stated.

:greedy:

$450 is a very very good deal then lol, get them bad boys!

gamecock guru
09-20-2007, 01:08 AM
:greedy:

$450 is a very very good deal then lol, get them bad boys!

i have one problem.... i like to crank tha fvck out. i don't think a 2-way system is gonna work. been doing 2 ways since the beginning of my car audio guru journey and i've never been satisfied. sux!!!

gamecock guru
09-20-2007, 03:27 AM
never mind... i'll go somewhere else

Megalomaniac
09-20-2007, 08:12 AM
dude hook me up with that price then

gamecock guru
09-20-2007, 02:37 PM
dude hook me up with that price then

i listened to some hertz high energies powered by a audison and wasn't too impressed. lacked in midbass- the tweets were very detailed. i'm all about hearing kick-drum and midbass coming out of a rhythum guitar. if i can't have that i'll be severly disappointed. now for you kids that listen to nothing but rap the high energies will be perfect for you

Megalomaniac
09-20-2007, 02:45 PM
i dont listen to rap :fyi: (often)

the hertz have more than enough midbass, they are SQ drivers. What you are asking is something with a shitton of midbass that you can feel. I suggest you go the DIY route...going 3way and u pick the drivers. You will be more satisfied. get some dedicated midbass drivers. My favorite midbassdrivers i have ever heard has to be the Adire Extremiis but they are no longer in business. best of luck man

rtillaree
09-20-2007, 02:47 PM
the HERTZ HSK 165's i heard had serious whale to them in the mid department, im surprised that these wouldn't...

alxmlr789
09-20-2007, 02:50 PM
The hertz hsk's have some great midbass. amazing.

kasimo420
09-20-2007, 02:56 PM
the HERTZ HSK 165's i heard had serious whale to them in the mid department, im surprised that these wouldn't...

Clear out your inbox. Trying to pm you.

rtillaree
09-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Clear out your inbox. Trying to pm you.

just try it again, i have a problem with my PM's, sometimes it does that apparently...

gamecock guru
09-20-2007, 10:41 PM
The hertz hsk's have some great midbass. amazing.

seriously, the mids weren't all that. we played with the eq for almost an hour trying to get them to sound decent for metal. didn't happen. metallica, dimmu borgir, slayer, and danzing- all sound shallow, and totally lacking midbass.

i will say the guitar leads sounded pretty good. very nice sounding tweeter

lyttleviet
09-21-2007, 01:04 AM
you are doing something wrong. I can take a vid of my midbass next time i take the doors off.. that thing MOVES.

Megalomaniac
09-21-2007, 01:10 AM
yeah i sent alex miller a video mine and my doors arent even deadened yet, they have plenty of midbass. i'll take another video later

rtillaree
09-21-2007, 01:12 AM
agreed, the set i heard had a very nice mid to it and the setup i heard them on wasnt even done correctly IMO...

Hintzyboy
09-21-2007, 01:33 AM
seriously, the mids weren't all that. we played with the eq for almost an hour trying to get them to sound decent for metal. didn't happen. metallica, dimmu borgir, slayer, and danzing- all sound shallow, and totally lacking midbass.

i will say the guitar leads sounded pretty good. very nice sounding tweeter

what kind of install did you hear them in?

gamecock guru
09-21-2007, 03:02 AM
what kind of install did you hear them in?

i want say what shop but it was done in a demo car. fully eq'd and powered by some very nice audison amps. this was by far not a simple set-up. dude, i'm a musician i know what music is suppose to sound like. the mids on the high energies had zero kick-drum and no bass coming from the guitar. it wasn't the amps, or the install. remember, this is their lowest line. i've read several reviews about the mlk 165's- what i'm hearing now from y'all about the high energies is what i read about the mlk165's.

Megalomaniac
09-21-2007, 06:54 AM
High Energy is not their lowest line :fyi:

from highest to lowest

- Mille
- High Energy
- Energy
- Dieci

- Space ( i dont know what these would be classified as, they are their shallow drivers; so i'll just break it into another category)

the mlk you speak of is there highest 2-way line

tbasile1
09-21-2007, 07:13 AM
for a retail price of $999, they should have amazing sound and midbass, seems like everyone else thinks so cept the O.P.

gamecock guru
09-21-2007, 11:48 AM
High Energy is not their lowest line :fyi:

from highest to lowest

- Mille
- High Energy
- Energy
- Dieci

- Space ( i dont know what these would be classified as, they are their shallow drivers; so i'll just break it into another category)

the mlk you speak of is there highest 2-way line

whatever... i guess. i was just putting my 2 cents in. last time i checked i wanted to hear about a comparison between the mlk's and the m2's. everybody started talking about the high energies and *****. people get off topic a lot here.

lyttleviet
09-21-2007, 11:28 PM
whatever... i guess. i was just putting my 2 cents in. last time i checked i wanted to hear about a comparison between the mlk's and the m2's. everybody started talking about the high energies and *****. people get off topic a lot here.

if you are from Htown I may give you an invite to our sq meet coming up soon. You can hear the midbass for yourself. I'll even turn off the sub and put it on full range for you.

gamecock guru
09-21-2007, 11:47 PM
if you are from Htown I may give you an invite to our sq meet coming up soon. You can hear the midbass for yourself. I'll even turn off the sub and put it on full range for you.

run it.. which mid driver will i hear?

datboiroy
09-22-2007, 02:04 AM
run it.. which mid driver will i hear?

he's got the mlk165

gamecock guru
09-22-2007, 07:22 AM
he's got the mlk165

that's the one!!! i wanna hear them mlk165's. i've heard nothing but good stuff about them...

salagahle2000
09-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the MLK3 system? I know the MLK165's are supposed to be awesome. I'm going to go and audition the MLK 165's this week but I am ultimately looking at either the MLK2's or MLK3's. Any Feedback???

gamecock guru
09-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the MLK3 system? I know the MLK165's are supposed to be awesome. I'm going to go and audition the MLK 165's this week but I am ultimately looking at either the MLK2's or MLK3's. Any Feedback???

seems like everyone here is got more experience with the high energies. i wonder if you ran with the mlk165's could you add a dedicated midbass later. will the 6.5 midrange play high enough to compensate for the midbass driver

Megalomaniac
09-22-2007, 07:00 PM
seems like everyone here is got more experience with the high energies. i wonder if you ran with the mlk165's could you add a dedicated midbass later. will the 6.5 midrange play high enough to compensate for the midbass driver

you can. However youd have to get another crossover, or if you're going active another channel(s). You can buy individual drivers from hertz. For the mille line you would use the 6.5 for the midbass the tweeter for highs, & you would buy the ml500r for the midrange.

gamecock guru
09-23-2007, 07:50 AM
you can. However youd have to get another crossover, or if you're going active another channel(s). You can buy individual drivers from hertz. For the mille line you would use the 6.5 for the midbass the tweeter for highs, & you would buy the ml500r for the midrange.

well, i didn't get invited to that sq comp. i really wanted to hear those mlk165's. oh well, maybe next time.

i think i'm gonna just go get the fvckers.

tbasile1
09-23-2007, 09:36 AM
If I could get them for $450, I would get them in a heartbeat!!

gamecock guru
09-23-2007, 06:00 PM

well, i've been through soo many comps- i don't want to make the same mistake again. you can't just rely on what people say. you have to listen to your ears.

kublkmax
09-24-2007, 01:25 PM

I have the MLK3's in my Tahoe and all I can say is wow. the 6.5's have a ton of midbass more than I thought I would hear. To give you a reference as to what other systems I am currently running so I know what I speak of. Bimmer: Rainbow Plats with Vanadium 5 1/4"s midrange, Profi Vanadium 12's Sinfoni. xB: Dyn system 362 with upgraded tweet to md130, 4 critical mass ss8's Tru billet 4100 (3)

O.P if you have not bought those 165's for 450 you are nuts. Get them and get them quick I assure you will not be disappointed.

sleepybrown
09-25-2007, 03:39 AM
seriously.....the MLK165s for 450 is a no brainer. If you do not like them, I know many on the forum will buy them from you at that price.

I have not had the chance to listen to the MLK2s (Hertz top-top of the line), but I can tell you that the MLK 165s have no problems in the mid-bass department and I heard them un-EQed on a sound board, so in a car they should be unreal.

Compared to the High Energies they have a lot more midbass "punch" which is what it sounds like you are going for. I felt that the High Energies we a little more open sounding in the upper midrange octaves, but I still felt the High Energies had a very decent sounding midbass response.

Moral of story....for $450---- buy,buy,buy

gamecock guru
09-25-2007, 10:14 PM
seriously.....the MLK165s for 450 is a no brainer. If you do not like them, I know many on the forum will buy them from you at that price.

I have not had the chance to listen to the MLK2s (Hertz top-top of the line), but I can tell you that the MLK 165s have no problems in the mid-bass department and I heard them un-EQed on a sound board, so in a car they should be unreal.

Compared to the High Energies they have a lot more midbass "punch" which is what it sounds like you are going for. I felt that the High Energies we a little more open sounding in the upper midrange octaves, but I still felt the High Energies had a very decent sounding midbass response.

Moral of story....for $450---- buy,buy,buy

yeah, i'm gonna jump on it. i don't know why i questioned this. i've been wanting these speakers since i first seen them.

kinda like when i seen anna nicole smith for the first time. i wanted her soo fvcken bad when i first laid eyes on her. even though she's dead, i'd still dig her up just to **** on those big *******. everybody....

I WANNA FVCK ANNA NICOLE SMITH!!!!!

gamecock guru
09-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Rotten Or Slithered.... I Wanna Fvck Anna Nicole Smith!!!!!!!!!!!

Eugenics
09-26-2007, 10:22 PM
God you really have a nice ***. I wish we had more members like you.

gamecock guru
09-27-2007, 05:33 AM
***... why can't i say arse?

Makaleo
05-26-2010, 07:56 PM
I've listened to both pairs, i bought the MLK 165's running on an JL Audio HD600/4 and it sounds awesome. i heard both pairs on the Audison THESIS amp and the MLK 2's are way better for metal music, they are alot more sharp and clear then the 165's, the 165's have more of a smooth sound to them and vocals and acoustics sound amazing but metal isnt as defined. go with the MLK 2's

kevin lu
05-27-2010, 03:47 AM

me 2, shop around here sell them for $700+tax.