PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer HU: buzzing only when faceplate is off

nobb
09-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Hi.

I have a Pioneer headunit and there is a loud buzzing noise coming from my speakers if I take my faceplate off. When the faceplate is on, there is no noise. I am using RCA cables to connect the HU to my amp. When I unplug the cables, there is no noise at all. I have read somewhere about Pioneer headunits and their microfuse problems. I have also read that some people have had success in eliminating their noise by grounding the RCA cables on the back of the head unit. So my question is...would grounding the RCA cables on my Pioneer headunit blow the microfuse? Or is it a safe thing to do? Also...could I just ground the RCA cables from my amp (in the trunk) rather than in the dash and behind the heeadunit itself? I have a carpc installed and have way to many wires behind the dash, so I rather not add to the mess. Advice appreciated. Thanks.

azbass
09-16-2007, 10:27 AM
you dont drive around with the faceplate off do you?

Louisiana_CRX
09-16-2007, 10:31 AM
maybe a bumble bee got stuck in your cd player and its wanting out.......When you have the faceplate on it hears music so it goes to sleep....

nobb
09-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Well I always take off the faceplate when parked. And sometimes I drive with the faceplate off for short trips...so it would be nice to not have it buzz.

nismos14
09-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Sounds like a problem with the amp not shutting off. Throw a switch on the remote wire, wait is your remote wire even hooked up behind the HU?

Ignatowski
09-16-2007, 10:41 AM
pioneer's are buzzing POS thats why.....thier whole grounding system is for the birds

jdrockafella
09-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Sounds like a problem with the amp not shutting off. Throw a switch on the remote wire, wait is your remote wire even hooked up behind the HU?

exactly, your amps are staying on and looking for an input signal. Sounds like an installation problem, not a Pioneer problem.

CrossFired
09-17-2007, 03:31 AM
Hi.

I have a Pioneer headunit and there is a loud buzzing noise coming from my speakers if I take my faceplate off. When the faceplate is on, there is no noise. I am using RCA cables to connect the HU to my amp. When I unplug the cables, there is no noise at all. I have read somewhere about Pioneer headunits and their microfuse problems. I have also read that some people have had success in eliminating their noise by grounding the RCA cables on the back of the head unit. So my question is...would grounding the RCA cables on my Pioneer headunit blow the microfuse? Or is it a safe thing to do? Also...could I just ground the RCA cables from my amp (in the trunk) rather than in the dash and behind the heeadunit itself? I have a carpc installed and have way to many wires behind the dash, so I rather not add to the mess. Advice appreciated. Thanks.

Well first off, why are your amps on when the face is off? You should wire in a relay for your amps.;)

CrossFired
09-17-2007, 03:32 AM
pioneer's are buzzing POS thats why.....thier whole grounding system is for the birds

Never had any problems with any Pioneer HU if installed correctly.:)

hemi=22s
09-17-2007, 04:50 AM
Never had any problems with any Pioneer HU if installed correctly.:)

x2

adam71
09-17-2007, 07:07 AM

Not when installed correctly. Quit speaking out of your ***.

nismos14
09-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Well first off, why are your amps on when the face is off? You should wire in a relay for your amps.;)

Why should he have to use a relay when the remote turn-on is what he should be using?

CrossFired
09-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Why should he have to use a relay when the remote turn-on is what he should be using?

I'm thinking he may have cooked his remote by overloading it(because no relay was used). He now can wire in a relay of his acc that will work much the same as the HU turn-on.

Rule of thum is up to two amps with the HU turn-on, any more than two than a relay should be used. Turn-ons are only rated for a current draw of <30 ma. most amps need
5~10 ma to turn on.:crazy:

adam71
09-18-2007, 07:02 AM
I'm thinking he may have cooked his remote by overloading it(because no relay was used). He now can wire in a relay of his acc that will work much the same as the HU turn-on.

Rule of thum is up to two amps with the HU turn-on, any more than two than a relay should be used. Turn-ons are only rated for a current draw of <30 ma. most amps need
5~10 ma to turn on.:crazy:

I've ran systems with 3, 4 or more amps and NEVER needed a relay for the remote wire.

CrossFired
09-19-2007, 03:13 AM
I've ran systems with 3, 4 or more amps and NEVER needed a relay for the remote wire.

When I started installing HU's(1981) there were no amp out trigger, just ant turn on.
When amps started to become common place, a relay would be needed because the in HU relay would smoke easy. These days there making higher current amp turnOns and todays amps require very little draw to turn on. But you being a little green, I would not expect you to know much about car audio history.:p:

adam71
09-25-2007, 11:36 PM
When I started installing HU's(1981) there were no amp out trigger, just ant turn on.
When amps started to become common place, a relay would be needed because the in HU relay would smoke easy. These days there making higher current amp turnOns and todays amps require very little draw to turn on. But you being a little green, I would not expect you to know much about car audio history.:p:

Heyyyy, be nice. That is something that I didn't know though. BTW, I'm not green. I'm just not that old. :p:

nobb
09-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I fixed the problem. Turns out I was a cheapass and used spare rca's (the ****** ones that come with your dvd player) that I manually extended with ethernet cable and solder. I was getting ~1ohm resistance between the grounds from one end to the other. I spent an hour and bought proper rca connectors which I crimped onto standard tv coax cable. No more ground loop. Btw...my amp's signal wire is not connected to the HU...instead its connected to the accessory wire for simplicity (because I have a carpc that relies on the acc wire too)