PDA

View Full Version : best 8" midbass drivers for a 3-way system

gamecock guru
09-16-2007, 08:38 AM
im looking for an 8" midbass driver to run in the doors. it's gonna be powered by a zapco 750X2. the doors are gonna be sound deaden pretty good. i need an 8" that will perform very well free-air. any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

4 ohm speakers only... thanx

i listen to my music super loud. 90% metal

Dtour
09-16-2007, 09:29 AM
I recently installed some seas L18RNX 7" midbass woofers in my doors, for an active 3 way front stage. I deaded my doors for a month, several layers of deadening matt, follwed by deadening liquied on top, thought my doors would never be able to rattle. Also closed up ever hole in the door, basicall making as much like a sealed box as possible. Let's just say that it sounds awsome, yet rattles like crazy from 50-100 herts, after all that deadening, I think i'll just make kickpanels, doors just arnet ideal for midbass, if your looking for some high quality midbass speakers, go to madisound.com, great prices , and a ton of 7 and 8 inch midbass speakers. My buddy has the 8 inch paper cone SEAS in his car, his sound good, no rattle that i can tell, just depends on the car

xtremekustomz
09-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I recently installed some seas L18RNX 7" midbass woofers in my doors, for an active 3 way front stage. I deaded my doors for a month, several layers of deadening matt, follwed by deadening liquied on top, thought my doors would never be able to rattle. Also closed up ever hole in the door, basicall making as much like a sealed box as possible. Let's just say that it sounds awsome, yet rattles like crazy from 50-100 herts, after all that deadening, I think i'll just make kickpanels, doors just arnet ideal for midbass, if your looking for some high quality midbass speakers, go to madisound.com, great prices , and a ton of 7 and 8 inch midbass speakers. My buddy has the 8 inch paper cone SEAS in his car, his sound good, no rattle that i can tell, just depends on the car

Sounds like you are in need of some ensolite to line your doors with and wrap all your rods inside the door. A door is a pretty good place for a dedicated midbass just because most people don't have the room in their kicks for a large driver which is the optimum place for a midrange. I do like kick mounted midbass though. Most of the time you don't have the airspace for a larger driver down there as well and need to do an AP vent which alot of people aren't willing to cut into the floor of the vehicle to do it.

xtremekustomz
09-16-2007, 12:41 PM
LOL once again...my vote is for the Dynaudio MW172

prodgod
09-16-2007, 12:51 PM
I've never heard them, but I heard that the Kicker SSMB8 is a pretty bad *** midbass driver.

Swick

MiniVanMan
09-16-2007, 12:52 PM
im looking for an 8" midbass driver to run in the doors. it's gonna be powered by a zapco 750X2. the doors are gonna be sound deaden pretty good. i need an 8" that will perform very well free-air. any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

4 ohm speakers only... thanx

i listen to my music super loud. 90% metal

Why just 4 ohm?

What frequencies do you need them to run at?

alphakenny1
09-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Peerless SLS 8". It's an 8 ohmer but does not need that much power. i had them getting 75 watts @ 8 ohms and wanged.

req
09-16-2007, 01:33 PM
just fyi, you dont need a 4 ohm driver.

read.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31

and dtours doors rattle in places you cant fix. mostly the locking mechenism for the door latch. its pretty gay :crap:

Dtour
09-16-2007, 01:58 PM
can't be fixed, what a bummer:suicide:

Louisiana_CRX
09-16-2007, 02:11 PM
thats why I like having a .5 cu ft enclousure in each of my doors :)

Dtour
09-16-2007, 02:12 PM
howd you do the enclosures in your doors, would it work for a civic, i'm from lafayette, what about you?

tRidiot
09-16-2007, 02:18 PM
just fyi, you dont need a 4 ohm driver.

read.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31

While I don't disagree outright with npdang, myself and others have had different real-world experiences when switching from 8-ohm to 4-ohm midbasses. I had an extremely noticeable increase in output.

Theoretics is one thing, real-world experience is another. IF and only IF the sensitivity difference will even it out, then I'd consider it, but for me, 8-ohm speakers will forever be at a disadvantage again. :(

gamecock guru
09-16-2007, 06:27 PM
While I don't disagree outright with npdang, myself and others have had different real-world experiences when switching from 8-ohm to 4-ohm midbasses. I had an extremely noticeable increase in output.

Theoretics is one thing, real-world experience is another. IF and only IF the sensitivity difference will even it out, then I'd consider it, but for me, 8-ohm speakers will forever be at a disadvantage again. :(

yeah, i want plenty of output. that's the whole purpose of running a dedicated midbass driver. what if i just ran with the iridium 8 comp set? would i get the same spl as a seperate active 3-way? i dought it.

those dynaudio's look sweet. what would be a good comp set to run with those dynaudio 8"s?

alphakenny1
09-16-2007, 06:39 PM
read, http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11159.

the test was done in my car and as stated earlier I'd still go with the Peerless SLS 8" if you can fit them. you'll have plenty of power on tap as well. Price to performance ratio, hands down the peerless.

gamecock guru
09-16-2007, 06:56 PM
read, http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11159.

the test was done in my car and as stated earlier I'd still go with the Peerless SLS 8" if you can fit them. you'll have plenty of power on tap as well. Price to performance ratio, hands down the peerless.

thanx for the link... killer review!!! yeah, i wanna hear some serious kick-drum and super low guitar riffs from the front. i'm sick of hearing speakers bottom-out at very loud volumes. especially the tom toms in dead skin mask by slayer

xtremekustomz
09-16-2007, 08:12 PM
I don't know what your spending budget is but you can contact 3.5Max6spd for a price on the Dyn stuff. They make a 3 way set that includes a 1.1" tweet, 3" dome midrange, and 8". It is a very nice set. Nice thing about the dome midrange is that you can easily put them off axis in your kicks and not have to build out or worry about an enclosure because they don't need one. They do like power so at least put 200 RMS to each side. They get CRAZY loud and sound unbelieveable doing it.

DejaWiz
09-16-2007, 08:35 PM
fantastic review, AlphaKenny. SLS looks like the way to go.

gamecock guru
09-16-2007, 10:15 PM
I don't know what your spending budget is but you can contact 3.5Max6spd for a price on the Dyn stuff. They make a 3 way set that includes a 1.1" tweet, 3" dome midrange, and 8". It is a very nice set. Nice thing about the dome midrange is that you can easily put them off axis in your kicks and not have to build out or worry about an enclosure because they don't need one. They do like power so at least put 200 RMS to each side. They get CRAZY loud and sound unbelieveable doing it.

i heard a set of dynaudio's- the sound was tad bit too lack back for me. the tweets are too melow. i loved the midbass

thefunkybunch
09-17-2007, 01:51 AM
i'd vote for JL audio IB 8's if you can find them. gobs of output, sound great, and don't need 1.3 million gigawatts of power to get them going

gamecock guru
09-17-2007, 05:44 AM

very nice looking set. i wonder if the crossovers are biampable. i heard a dynaudio comp a couple of years ago- i didnt like the tweets too much. a little laid back for me.

think this amp is enough power for these dynaudio's?

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=601

///M5
09-17-2007, 12:36 PM

You are leaving out a lot of details in your extremely noticeable application that would easily explain the differences leaving your statement with absolutely no credibility.

xtremekustomz
09-17-2007, 08:32 PM
very nice looking set. i wonder if the crossovers are biampable. i heard a dynaudio comp a couple of years ago- i didnt like the tweets too much. a little laid back for me.

think this amp is enough power for these dynaudio's?

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=601

The crossovers aren't bi ampable. They upgraded some of their stuff from the old models. I don't know for sure what all they changed but everyone seems to like the changes. That amp would be ok on the set. A little more would be better but that would work.

gamecock guru
09-17-2007, 08:37 PM
The crossovers aren't bi ampable. They upgraded some of their stuff from the old models. I don't know for sure what all they changed but everyone seems to like the changes. That amp would be ok on the set. A little more would be better but that would work.

i think i wanna do a d.i.y. system. never tried that. any suggestions on building my own system. thanx

xtremekustomz
09-17-2007, 10:45 PM
What kind of price range are you working with? You going active or passive?

W8 a minute
09-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Peerless SLS 8". It's an 8 ohmer but does not need that much power. i had them getting 75 watts @ 8 ohms and wanged.

Is that driver even made any more?

Edit: Nevermind: I think it was the XLS that was discontinued. Not sure.

gamecock guru
09-18-2007, 01:54 AM
What kind of price range are you working with? You going active or passive?

i wanna go active. never done it before. i'm looking to spend no more than a $1000 on a d.i.y.

genxx
09-18-2007, 08:04 AM
It is a must to run an 8"? If not I would throw the Scan Rev 7" in there. Considerable more money but they are said to be amazing. No one ever throws these out there so I am going to. The Scan 22W Rev 8".

Also don't forget about the Hybrid Audio L8.

gamecock guru
09-18-2007, 02:33 PM
It is a must to run an 8"? If not I would throw the Scan Rev 7" in there. Considerable more money but they are said to be amazing. No one ever throws these out there so I am going to. The Scan 22W Rev 8".

Also don't forget about the Hybrid Audio L8.

what kind of highs should i run with a big midbass driver? don't wanna play with horns

genxx
09-18-2007, 02:46 PM
I would look at the Peerless HDS or why not just run something from Scan-Speak.

I think the 22W 8" with the Scan Rev 4" 12M and the HDS or Scan tweeter and if wanted a small format tweeter then the Seas Neo or something from Rainbow Cal26, Cal27 or Cal28.IMO All Scan system=:yumyum:

This would be an expensive set-up but would be a very good 3-way.IMO Remember the install is a huge part in the end product. You can buy all this not install it properly and they buy with the $200 comps with a tons of install work may sound better.

MiniVanMan
09-18-2007, 05:40 PM
i think i wanna do a d.i.y. system. never tried that. any suggestions on building my own system. thanx

Take a deep breath.

I'll start with INSTALL, INSTALL, INSTALL, INSTALL, and INSTALL. Again, if you haven't gotten it yet, INSTALL, INSTALL, INSTALL.

There are plenty of very high quality DIY setups that can be had in the $200-$250 range. That would leave $750-$800 for processing and install equipment, which is about right. Scans are nice, but not necessary when a driver like the Usher 8945P (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=296-602) boasts very similar distortion numbers (which are top of the line) for almost 1/3 of the price.

Tweeters are the same, you can spend a ton on a set of Rainbow Cal2?s tweeters, or just go with a set of Seas Neos for again 1/3 of the price and more.

Properly installed a set of Usher 8945s coupled with a set of Seas Neo will sound better with $700.00 worth of processing and installation, than a set of Scans and comparable tweets costing 3 times as much and much less invested into install and processing.

So, the first question is, what kind of processing do you currently have?

Second is what kind of car do you have, and what are your options for installation locations?

gamecock guru
09-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Take a deep breath.

I'll start with INSTALL, INSTALL, INSTALL, INSTALL, and INSTALL. Again, if you haven't gotten it yet, INSTALL, INSTALL, INSTALL.

There are plenty of very high quality DIY setups that can be had in the $200-$250 range. That would leave $750-$800 for processing and install equipment, which is about right. Scans are nice, but not necessary when a driver like the Usher 8945P (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=296-602) boasts very similar distortion numbers (which are top of the line) for almost 1/3 of the price.

Tweeters are the same, you can spend a ton on a set of Rainbow Cal2?s tweeters, or just go with a set of Seas Neos for again 1/3 of the price and more.

Properly installed a set of Usher 8945s coupled with a set of Seas Neo will sound better with $700.00 worth of processing and installation, than a set of Scans and comparable tweets costing 3 times as much and much less invested into install and processing.

So, the first question is, what kind of processing do you currently have?

Second is what kind of car do you have, and what are your options for installation locations?

2004 blazer X2. i currently own a audio control dqx( dual 30-band, 24 db cossover)

i can run comps in the kicks, in school now to learn fiberglassing

theothermike
09-18-2007, 09:34 PM
if i did a 3 way diy and didnt buy these **** cdt, (regret doing) id prob buy a peerless sls 8, peerless exclusive 4, and a nice seas or peerless hds tweet.

W8 a minute
09-18-2007, 10:04 PM
You can save a ton of money going DIY.

Here's an example:

This:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-ES-01-CDT-Audio-EuroSport-ES01-competition-Tweeter_W0QQitemZ150149556267QQihZ005QQcategoryZ14 943QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Versus this:
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_270_324&products_id=1078

gamecock guru
09-18-2007, 11:27 PM
dang, i just found a sweet deal on some hertz mlk 165's!!! now, i got a hard decision to make. is there a difference between the mlk65's and mlk2?