PDA

View Full Version : For all the doubters of the strength of fiberglass

ramos
03-13-2003, 02:25 PM
This is a pick from a helluva fberglass man. Proving the strength of kyntex mat. Just 3 layers and a couple of stiffening ribs. 1/8" thick.

http://stickerpimp.com/projectmazda/seats/feb03/6.jpg

ss3079
03-13-2003, 07:35 PM
Impressive!:)

- Steve

Matador
03-15-2003, 03:47 AM
very impressive i'll say

Mac11
03-15-2003, 04:06 AM
why would anybody doubt fiberglass in the first place
if it was a weak piece of **** why would chevy have used it to build the body of the corvette for 20+ f uckin years

ss3079
03-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Mac11
why would anybody doubt fiberglass in the first place
if it was a weak piece of **** why would chevy have used it to build the body of the corvette for 20+ f uckin years

Meh, there are people out there that doubt it...I think they think it will flex if you used it as an enclosure.

- Steve

MikeofTulsa
03-15-2003, 06:51 PM
is that the guy that is building the fake seat/sub boxes????

Matador
03-16-2003, 03:59 AM
i mean they use fiberglass for a bunch of custom stuff, n they most of the times very strong. i guess he doubts it if u only put a very thin layer with no like strength reinforcement, but dunno, not that knowledgeable in fiberglass, altho i'll start practicin soon as i would like to custom most of my car soon

ss3079
03-16-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Matador
i mean they use fiberglass for a bunch of custom stuff, n they most of the times very strong. i guess he doubts it if u only put a very thin layer with no like strength reinforcement, but dunno, not that knowledgeable in fiberglass, altho i'll start practicin soon as i would like to custom most of my car soon

Fiberglass is the way to go if you want that custom look;)

Plus, its e-a-s-y, and fairly cheap, to do:)

- Steve

91lacdeville
03-16-2003, 03:15 PM
im gonna do alot of custom fiberglass work to my car. Hopefully i will be running 8 ed 12 o's and 4 nine.1's. but we will see.

Savant
03-16-2003, 03:16 PM
I think the bigest issue is that a lot of people are confused about what fiberglass is and/or all the different types of glass that can be used..

I was told (errantly and it sounded wrong to me) that the 'chopped matt' would be stronger than using 'cloths' and that I would (should) need about 1/4" + thickness or more (10+ layers of chopped matt) to be able to reasonably house some subs.. But, as I talked to more and more people (and did more research) and contacted those in the fiberglass industry, I learned that I would probably be able to get away with 4 layers of "bi-biased" (bi-directional strength) cloth (which uses 1/2 the resin as chopped matt, by the way) instead of 12+ layers of matt.. That means the thickness would be under 1/8" and the cost about 1/4 of matting it up (and weight would be MUCH less)..

What I think I'll end up doing is, 3 layers of cloth (like the Knytex shown here) with a little carbon fiber roving (thin thread like strands wrapped/twisted into a ropeish thing) mixed in for added strength.. Given the shape of what I'll end up making (and the outer contours), that should be fine..

As a point of reference.. There are 'space' and flight/boat applications that use fiberglass as support structures that are 1/4" thick cloth buildups in some cases... If you can trust your life to 1/4" buildup of good cloth, how can you expect that sub-woofers wouldn't work in something less?

ss3079
03-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by 91lacdeville
im gonna do alot of custom fiberglass work to my car. Hopefully i will be running 8 ed 12 o's and 4 nine.1's. but we will see.

That would be ****in' sweet man...:) Do it.

- Steve

91lacdeville
03-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by ss3079
That would be ****in' sweet man...:) Do it.

- Steve

I will if i can get the money

ramos
03-18-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Goddyd4me
is that the guy that is building the fake seat/sub boxes????

yeah man mike pipes. He is a good freind. Very knowledgable man. :)