PDA

View Full Version : AVN 5500 Navigation Not Working

Pastapuck
09-15-2007, 05:05 PM
I have a 2006 Subaru STI with an AVN 5500 head unit with GPS navigation. Today I had a local man who does audio installs install my head unit for me. Keep in mind I bought this head unit used - but, it worked perfectly for the guy before me. He lived in Boston, I live in Florida. Well...long story short....none of the GPS/nav features work. Most of my nav buttons are grayed out, and worst of all, it still thinks I'm in Boston. I tried driving around for a while to see if it was simply a matter of time before the GPS unit could connect to the satellite, I took out the cd and put it back in, but still nothing.....The audio works fine, the radio stations work fine, but pretty much none of the GPS features work, and it thinks I'm in Boston.

- Everything should be wired up correctly
- The only wires we did not connect were the reverse and speed sensor wire, which I've been told are not needed

I do plan on calling Eclipse, but they aren't open on the weekends so I was hoping someone had some tips for me before then.

p.s. When I load up the nav it says "Check speed sensor".....but...I wouldnt think this is the cause of all this since the last owner of this head unit said he didn;t use the speed sensor, but who knows.

What should I do?

p.s. sorry I didn't search....yes...I broke the cardinal rule of noobs, sorry :)

Pastapuck
09-15-2007, 05:21 PM
By the way for anyone curious, the red dot is where the GPS sensor was placed - inside the car.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7025/84hh6.jpg
**This is not my car, just an example picture!**

Pastapuck
09-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Update: 9/16/07 9:40am: - The head unit's GPS is now 100% fully functional, when I drive it moves with respect to the car's location, and it now realizes I'm in FL, however.....most of my useful buttons are still grayed out.

crx4luke
09-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Usually the buttons are grayed out when the parking brake wire (red/white wire) isn't receiving a ground signal, whether it is simply grounded or hooked up to the parking brake wire. Oh, and when the vss is hooked up it makes it so much more accurate on the screen. I'd get it hooked up, but it doesn't have to be connected.