PDA

View Full Version : Crossover and pre-outs

Gookie
09-15-2007, 03:10 AM
Just installing my first system... And, something just came to mind...

(Got a JL 500/1, with a JL 10w3v3, and an Alpine 9885)

Anyway, the high pass crossover setting. What does that do exactly? And what I mean by that is, my amp is hooked up to the pre-outs. Do the pre outs get full range all the time, or are they affected by the crossover??

It would make sense to me for the pre-outs to be full range all the time, in which case I can do exactly what I want and set up the crossover/parametric on my amp, yet have none of the lower frequencies getting to my component speakers. If the pre-outs are affected by the crossover, then, what's up with that, and how does this work?

First system. I'm a car audio virgin. Please be gentle.

mlstrass
09-15-2007, 03:42 AM
HP sends all the freqs above whatever it's set at. You should be able to turn it off or bypass it in the HU. But personally I'd set the amp to FULL and do the xover in the HU since it's a digital readout and easier to set, unless your amp has better slopes...

Gookie
09-15-2007, 12:23 PM
maybe I wasn't totally clear.

Say I set the HPF on the deck to 80Hz.

Are the frequencies going to the pre-outs and the rest of the speakers the same? Or do the pre outs get everything below 80Hz and the speakers everything above? Or is everything below 80Hz drastically reduced, both on the speakers, and the pre-outs??

I'm basically adding a deck, a sub, and an amp to my factory speakers. I want high frequencies to go to the speakers, and everything below say 80Hz to hit the sub. Can I accomplish this with the equipment I have?

hemi=22s
09-16-2007, 01:52 PM
the hpf should not effect the sub preouts if thats what u have it hooked up to it should only effect the factory amp outputs and ur front and rear preouts

hemi=22s
09-16-2007, 01:54 PM
i would leave the amp on full range and set the deck to 80hpf since the radio xover is alot easier to set
what kind of mids amp u got and what mids are u running on each channel