PDA

View Full Version : MSD Ignition

89montero
09-13-2007, 07:00 PM
I've been wanting to try an MSD ignition on my car and found a good deal on a 6al.

1. is buying one used a big "NO" or should I be fine?
2. These boxes are add ons, they don't replace any stock parts(sorry if it's dumb but ignitions is my weak point when it comes to cars)?
3. What plug gap should I run, I want the wides possible but don't want it to be unreliable. I plan to run ACdelco rapidfire.
4. I'm also going to put some new wires and an MSD coil, whats the difference between the cylinders such as the MSD blaster 3 and the boxes like MSD blaster SS?

It's an 89 montero engine, 3l v6, nothin fancy.

Thanks

InhumanAcura
09-13-2007, 07:18 PM
i bought a 6a box used, never had any problems..depends on who had it imo.

im all for upgrading, but why are you wasting your money? i dont mean any offense.

89montero
09-13-2007, 07:24 PM
what do you mean wasting? My car seems to be missing and I'm pretty sure its a spark problem. About half of the people I talk to say that MSD ignitions **** and the other half say they're great so I figured I'd upgrade my whole ignition system and see for my self.

Also I like to tinker with stuff.

Ferendon
09-14-2007, 03:40 AM
MSDs are kick ***. And 'tinkering' with your ignition system could be costly. And never run the widest spec on plug gap. Almost start in the tighter end of the range, so that as the plug naturally opens up, you'll still be in spec for a while. AC Delco Rapid Fires ****. The only way more than one upper electrode could benefit a plugs performance, is a v-tip, in which case the spark arcs between the tips. Where as most multi-point plugs are intended to make more than one spark... No factory ignition system is going to send the correct amount of electricity to create more than 1 spark worth a ****. Just get some NGK or Denso plugs, as that's what recommended for most imports. And be careful with aftermarket ignitions, you might find yourself having to purchase mid grade or premium to stop it from pinging.

QtrHorse
09-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Unless you have done other big mods, I would not waste my money on an aftermarket ignition. Just replace your plugs and wires with something good. As stated already, do not try to run large gaps, you will just burn up the plugs. Run the gap they recommend for your car.

Ignatowski
09-14-2007, 10:23 AM
They work,but dont expect much to happen to your stock vehicle porformance wise....

Ignition upgrades on stock vehicles is the biggest waste of money
a person can do,fancy wires,sparkplugs,caps rotors,MSD etc =BS

Ferendon
09-15-2007, 12:00 AM
I just installed an Accel SuperCoil on my car, with Taylor Thunder Volt 8.2s and some Autolite Coppers, and there's a noticable difference in throttle reponse, and a good bit or midrange. But I have an SS Cold Air Snorkel, full 2.25" dual exhaust, hi-flow cats, modified air box, TB coolant bypass, open air PCV, and quite a few other mods. I have a 190 lph, and a zex kit in the garage, and I should be ordering some Brisk Racing turbo plugs soon.