PDA

View Full Version : 3 Comp sets to choose from

Trancer
09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
I think I have narrowed it down to 3 sets of components.

230 watts rms x 2 on my Clarion 4 channel

Listening:
Rock (Linkin Park, Staind, Breaking Benjamin, ect...)
Rap (I listen to rap from time to time)

I like it loud.

Going in a Chevy Silverado ext z-71. In the doors and Ill be sound deadening.

So in my price range I found the following.

Diamond Audio HEX S600
MB Quart QSD216
Hertz HSK265

Any help?

ace_800
09-13-2007, 02:05 PM
I think I have narrowed it down to 3 sets of components.

230 watts rms x 2 on my Clarion 4 channel

Listening:
Rock (Linkin Park, Staind, Breaking Benjamin, ect...)
Rap (I listen to rap from time to time)

I like it loud.

Diamond Audio HEX S600 DO NOT GET THESE
MB Quart QSD216
Hertz HSK265

Any help?

They can't handle a lot of power. I had them on a JL 300/4, they ******. If you want loud I can't help with the MB or Hertz but the Boston Pro60 get plenty loud. I'm pushing over 200 rms on them and they are loud a ****.

AlpineAndy
09-13-2007, 02:25 PM
I had a set of Diamond D6 5.25 with a memphis 75x4 brigged doing 230x2 and they got loud, but they sounded a hell of alot better by running them active and didn't get much quieter either.

JoeHemi57
09-13-2007, 02:29 PM
out of the three i would get the hertz

jmanpc
09-13-2007, 02:31 PM
QSDs will give you aural ***.

Trancer
09-13-2007, 03:01 PM
QSDs will give you aural ***.

mmmmm sounds kinky

Ignatowski
09-13-2007, 03:05 PM
HEX's kinda stink IMO,tweets arent as good as they used to be and they have zero midbass...
Easy to out do a HEX at half the price.
HERTZ hard to find,I think only 1 dealer around
MB's,very popular around here,try em out.....

tbasile1
09-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Ive heard the QSDs

Man, they were amazingggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

But Hertz is good too, so I would get what ever is the cheapest between MB and Hz, and its prolly the MBs

Eugenics
09-13-2007, 03:56 PM
6spdcoupe can give you a deal on some hertz i'm sure. I'd probably go with those, not so much because i've had experience with them, but because i haven't had great experiences with MB or Hertz

Trancer
09-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I got someone on the board to get me a set of Hertz, so thats not a problem. The Hertz set is more cash than the QSD's.

Im leaning towards the MB Quarts.

Anyone know if either gets louder than the other? I like my music and full tilt. Yes, losing my hearing.

WantedIsHere
09-13-2007, 04:22 PM
anyone talking about the hex's in a bad way are idiots...i have used both the hex's and the mb's... The diamond hex line is the best bang for the buck out there on any comp's... I personally love them and sold my germs to go back to the hex's....
if your looking for loud go with the hex's I used to run MB all the time but then they started blowing mid bass drivers like there was no tomorrow... so i switched to diamond that was back in like 02-03 and i have yet to find a set of speakers that will come close... The diamonds have midbass unlike everyone always claims... (most of them have never ran them) its all gonna be up to you in the end but look into it more before you believe all these fanboys hating on diamond....

WantedIsHere
09-13-2007, 04:24 PM
oh and the hex's took power alot better tehn any other comp set... they are known to handle and love big power.... i seriously think that half this board loves talking out of their ***... go listen to to diamonsa nd mb's at a local shop it shouldnt be hard to find one...

Eugenics
09-13-2007, 04:46 PM
The Hex's are actually the best speakers out.

Loud3
09-13-2007, 04:48 PM

PREACH BROTHA!

CAN I GET A HALLELUYAH?!?!?!?

Eugenics
09-13-2007, 04:58 PM
hallelujah!

jluv
09-13-2007, 05:06 PM
I know they weren't one of the original choices, but I cast another vote for the Boston Pro 60s. They can handle the power, get LOUD, and sound great.

Trancer
09-13-2007, 05:29 PM
I have considered the Boston Pro's. Still am, but if I am getting the Pro's, I start itching to get the Z6's, which are crazy expensive.

Trancer
09-13-2007, 05:29 PM
I know they weren't one of the original choices, but I cast another vote for the Boston Pro 60s. They can handle the power, get LOUD, and sound great.

You ever in the Addison or Plano area? Wouldnt mind hearing your set

gbart
09-13-2007, 05:30 PM
ive personally heard the new mb quarts and i think they rock. I listened to some yellowcard and classic rock and they screamed. Very clear and very loud for the price.

jluv
09-13-2007, 05:32 PM
I have considered the Boston Pro's. Still am, but if I am getting the Pro's, I start itching to get the Z6's, which are crazy expensive.

Have you heard the Z6s? I haven't. Do you know them to be leaps and bounds better? I doubt you would be disappointed with the Pros.

ace_800
09-13-2007, 05:35 PM
IMO with that amount of power the pros will sound killer. You won't want the Z6's unless you are trying to throw 250+rms at them.

CaliforniabOY5
09-13-2007, 05:36 PM
HEX because its the "in" thing to do

jluv
09-13-2007, 05:42 PM
You ever in the Addison or Plano area? Wouldnt mind hearing your set

Plano, never. Addison, rarely. I'm in the Las Colinas area every day for work. Live in the HEB area.

Ignatowski
09-13-2007, 06:49 PM
anyone talking about the hex's in a bad way are idiots...i have used both the hex's and the mb's... The diamond hex line is the best bang for the buck out there on any comp's... I personally love them and sold my germs to go back to the hex's....
if your looking for loud go with the hex's I used to run MB all the time but then they started blowing mid bass drivers like there was no tomorrow... so i switched to diamond that was back in like 02-03 and i have yet to find a set of speakers that will come close... The diamonds have midbass unlike everyone always claims... (most of them have never ran them) its all gonna be up to you in the end but look into it more before you believe all these fanboys hating on diamond....

:fro:
No hate on diamond,I run thier amps,subs with great success
when HES's were made in Germany they were excellent
now however they changed the formula and are made in china - they will take power no doubt,get loud VERY but the newer tweeter lacks big time and
the mid is less than be desired......I had HEXs,I did try an LPG tweeter
in lue of the DA tweet and it improved alot but the things had no midbass at all - then I switched at the time to Crystals which were around 175 bucks and they smoked the 300.00+ HEX's... HEX's arent a bad speaker but not worth the money they ask.

Trancer
09-13-2007, 08:04 PM
IMO with that amount of power the pros will sound killer. You won't want the Z6's unless you are trying to throw 250+rms at them.

I got the power to run the Z6's. 240 rms x 2

:)

Trancer
09-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Oh, went to a shop today after work and they were closed. They sell Diamond Audio, because I saw their sign advertised. I was gonna check them out and see if they had the Pro's. Who closes their store at 5:00?

92SC300
09-13-2007, 08:15 PM
They can't handle a lot of power. I had them on a JL 300/4, they ******. If you want loud I can't help with the MB or Hertz but the Boston Pro60 get plenty loud. I'm pushing over 200 rms on them and they are loud a ****.

please, you probably haven't even run them before

thank you!

and thank you

Trancer
09-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Now I remember why I rulled out the Boston's. I remember I was going to go with that set, but they are rated at 3 ohm. I have my 4 channel Clarion bridged for a 2 ohm load.

So its back to the HEX's, Hertz HSK's and MB Quart QSD's

datboiroy
09-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Hertz HSK

RumbleNTheTrunk
09-14-2007, 12:20 AM
please, you probably haven't even run them before

thank you!

and thank you

I ran them....they were good was powereing them with the d6 300.4...but there can be had better for cheaper.

WhoSayWho?
09-14-2007, 12:21 AM
I feel as though I stepped into a time machine. When did people around here start recommending Hex comps again? I thought we had all agreed that we were not going to do that anymore.

RumbleNTheTrunk
09-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Now I remember why I rulled out the Boston's. I remember I was going to go with that set, but they are rated at 3 ohm. I have my 4 channel Clarion bridged for a 2 ohm load.

So its back to the HEX's, Hertz HSK's and MB Quart QSD's

ive heard all of Hertz offerings at a local shop...definately quality equipment without a doubt...I heard there 400$ space series and was very pleased...so id definately give them a shot.

Eugenics
09-14-2007, 12:38 AM
I feel as though I stepped into a time machine. When did people around here start recommending Hex comps again? I thought we had all agreed that we were not going to do that anymore.

I don't know, but anyone who disagrees is clearly wrong. I'm tired of these white people acting like they run my forum.

WhoSayWho?
09-14-2007, 12:53 AM
I don't know, but anyone who disagrees is clearly wrong. I'm tired of these white people acting like they run my forum.

We shall overcome.

gbart
09-14-2007, 01:07 AM
haha i like it here its funny

Ignatowski
09-14-2007, 07:13 AM

dam crackas:blackeye:

genxx
09-14-2007, 08:36 AM
The old Diamond stuff was very good. I still have a set laying around from 1999-2000. The new stuff is not what it once was. I have not heard the Hertz so cannot comment. I like the MB though for the price.

Have you thought about the Pioneer 720PRS set? I think they would give you everything you are looking for at a fraction of the cost.IMO

To bad the Bostons will not work.

Gary S
09-14-2007, 12:20 PM
I have in one vehicle what I consider a fairly high power set of speakers, I'm sure they would handle 200 watts with no problem... but 240... that's pushing it.

And based on the fact that you like rock, rap, and loud, I think you definitely need a metal tweeter.

And if you are going def, you are going to be hard to please... I would not look at anything but a manufacturer's top line of speakers.

Since you are considering Diamond, I would save my pennies for Diamond D7... they are a set with a metal tweeter, state of the art cone material, similar cone layup as the precison power and the new Image Dynamics XS series, but made for high power... they fit the bill.

Trancer
09-14-2007, 12:35 PM
I had the metal tweeters in my Focals and couldnt stand them. Ear splitting sound that came out of those. I came to the conclusion that I like a more laid back sound from my tweeters; silk dome

Gary S
09-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Yes, but that is thier bottom of the line set... the tweeter does not even have a surround.

If you are convinced you like a soft dome, how about OZ Matrix... they claim they handle 250 a side, and I believe they are a soft dome.

Trancer
09-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Yes, but that is thier bottom of the line set... the tweeter does not even have a surround.

If you are convinced you like a soft dome, how about OZ Matrix... they claim they handle 250 a side, and I believe they are a soft dome.

I considered that set from OZ, but ruled them out due to my research believing the Hertz, Diamond Audio, and the Quarts were better for the $$$

More than likely going with the MBQ's. going to see if I can listen to a set today possibly

Trancer
09-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Alright, so now that I have believe to have chosen the MB Quart, do you all think its worth going with the Premium line instead of the QSD line?

PVF-216 vs. QSD216

RAM_Designs
09-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Speaking from experience, don't get any MBQ speakers that have been made in the last 5 or so years...

The OZ speakers are great, crossovers are of amazing quality, and midbass is quite capable.

If you're wanting something that can really wang, Focal K2P's are hard to beat. My favorite comp set for the price I've ever heard, and I've heard 20+ $300+ comps in the past 3-4 years...crystal clear vocals, tweeter attentuation buttons on the crossovers come in handy, and good midbass too...oh yeah, and they can scream with just 125 watts per side.

jmanpc
09-16-2007, 09:05 PM
There isn't anything wrong with the RF-era MBQ's. I've owned a few of em, and they've all been excellent quality. I havent owned any of the Maxxsonics made ones, but they look to be alright.

Gary S
09-17-2007, 02:46 AM
The Focal KP series are great. The new Image dynamics xs-65 will beat them though... and they might be available for a lower price.

92SC300
09-17-2007, 03:00 AM
just to let you know, the S600's come two ways - silk and aluminum

I have a set of them w/ silk tweets :yumyum: