PDA

View Full Version : headunit doesn't turn on after amp install

drwang
09-12-2007, 10:56 PM
I have a 2001 expedition with stock headunit. The stock sub amp is dead so I found an expedition amp on craigslist for $20 but the problem is that it's a different year. The wire colors matched up but the pins didn't so I just spliced the wires myself. Problem is that once I hooked the amp and sub up and rehooked up the battery...the radio doesn't turn on anymore!!! Anyone help me on this please!?!?

SW9152
09-12-2007, 10:58 PM
blown fuse in fuse box? it is easy to touch a hot wire to the wrong place.

drwang
09-12-2007, 11:02 PM
No idea where the fuses are located,.. I'll google and try that

drwang
09-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Although it's hard to believe a fuse blew that quickly because I took precautions on unhooking the battery.

drwang
09-13-2007, 01:42 AM
Anyone? This is a really weird problem...

95BlackGA
09-13-2007, 01:51 AM
I wouldn't over look the fuse blowing. Do you know the ratings of the new amp opposed to the old amp? If it's drawing too much current (and they're on the same fuse line) it could easily pop quick enough for you not to notice. The fuses should be on the driver's side under the dash, although I'm not too sure, as I have never worked with an expedition before. Just because the wire colors matched up doesn't mean they are the same, although Ford, and most others, keep the same wire coloring, unless it's a totally revamped vehicle.

jmanpc
09-13-2007, 02:01 AM
are you 100% sure you got the right wires?

drwang
09-13-2007, 02:20 AM
Thanks for taking your time to read my post. I was pretty excited to have some free time this afternoon to install the amp and sub since the system has been lacking it for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately I made the matter worse.

But it seems very odd to me that if the amps had the same wire color coding, how it would get messed up. The only different colors were the power and ground. The original amp had a thick green wire(guess +) and thick black wire(guess -). The replacement was thick red(my guess+) and thick yellow (my guess -). So I spliced all the wires and yea, nothing happened. I removed the amp and the radio still doesn't turn on.

I can check the fuse but I don't quite know what to look for. or how to find out if the fuse is blown.

jmanpc
09-13-2007, 02:23 AM
:crap: always make sure to have a multimeter handy to see if your assumptions are correct. Check the fuse box and see if the fuse is blown for the radio. That's all I can say right now.

drwang
09-13-2007, 02:28 AM
:crap: always make sure to have a multimeter handy to see if your assumptions are correct. Check the fuse box and see if the fuse is blown for the radio. That's all I can say right now.

Alright thanks man. I'll get a fuse checker soon and test it. Hopefully it's going to be an easy replacement.

drwang
09-13-2007, 02:30 AM
Actually I think I have a multimeter around. How do I use the multimeter to check the fuse?

jmanpc
09-13-2007, 02:31 AM
Actually I think I have a multimeter around. How do I use the multimeter to check the fuse?

you can just look at the fuse to check it. if the little S-shaped piece of metal in the center is blown, that's your problem.

Chevillac
09-13-2007, 02:48 AM
I would try to find both wiring guides. I just had to wire my uncles Jeep ('95) and tried to use a 98 wiring guide at first, because it somewhat matched. It didnt, and nothing really worked, until i found the exact year wiring guide.

kross
09-13-2007, 02:58 AM
The original amp had a thick green wire(guess +) and thick black wire(guess -).

Green is never +

drwang
09-13-2007, 03:09 AM
Thanks SW9152, 95BlackGA, jmanpc.

I just checked and the 25A audio fuse is blown. I will order a few tonight.

Green is never +? How do I go about using a multimeter to test which is ground(-) or power(+)?
I want to do it right this time.