PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Germanium 265.25 Opinions needed

HemiMazda
09-12-2007, 07:14 PM
I am interested in purchasing a set of the components. I cannot find very much information on them at all. I'd like to hear from anyone that has a set. Everything I have read so far is very possitive. But like I said there aint much out there on them.

They would be hooked up to a JL Audio 450/4.

slick rick
09-12-2007, 07:17 PM
there is a TON of 411 on them..buy them.

3.5Max6spd
09-12-2007, 07:24 PM
I dont think i've come across a user that didnt enjoy them tonally. Very flexible xover on that set.

CrazedCat
09-12-2007, 07:34 PM
you wanna buy from ^him^ too

kmanian
09-12-2007, 07:42 PM
they are the bomb, you won't be disappointed.

tbasile1
09-12-2007, 07:58 PM
:yumyum:

gbart
09-12-2007, 10:47 PM
ive heard great things about them some say they are comparable to the dls iridiums. ive heard they dont get really loud though thats why i shyed away.

DejaWiz
09-12-2007, 11:30 PM
With channels 1 and 2 driving the mids and channels 3 and 4 to the tweeters, they should sound daaaaaaamn nice.

slick rick
09-13-2007, 12:01 AM
ive heard great things about them some say they are comparable to the dls iridiums. ive heard they dont get really loud though thats why i shyed away.

that is a flat out lie; thanks for playing.

DejaWiz
09-13-2007, 12:04 AM

They won't get that loud.

....off HU power. :laugh:

gbart
09-13-2007, 12:12 AM

arent you a little **** sucker tonight. I said i heard, just sharing the small amount of knowledge i have about them. Pretty sure thats what these forums are for. You state your opinion. I can call you a liar too. http://smiliesftw.com/x/7.PNG (http://smiliesftw.com)

crea78
09-13-2007, 12:16 AM
If you do decide to go with the Germaniums, 3.5Max6spd is a great dealer. I know coz I bought both my Germs and Profi 12" sub from him. I have yet to install my Germaniums and will shortly, but from all the comments you will find on this forum, I highly doubt you will be disappointed if you buy them. One last thing, you WILL NOT find very many components in the same price range (around $450) that are in the same league as the Germaniums... that is a fact coming from 3.Max as well.

gbart
09-13-2007, 12:18 AM
I will also vouch for 3.5max6spd. Im new here prob wont be here for long, but he has some good deals on some speakers i wont go into detail cause that wouldnt be right. Let me just say he carries high end brands for great prices.

crea78
09-13-2007, 12:26 AM
I will also vouch for 3.5max6spd. Im new here prob wont be here for long, but he has some good deals on some speakers i wont go into detail cause that wouldnt be right. Let me just say he carries high end brands for great prices.

True 2 dat... especially if you are a repeat buyer!!

slick rick
09-13-2007, 12:36 AM
arent you a little **** sucker tonight. I said i heard, just sharing the small amount of knowledge i have about them. Pretty sure thats what these forums are for. You state your opinion. I can call you a liar too. http://smiliesftw.com/x/7.PNG (http://smiliesftw.com)

lol calm yourself noob...hearsay can get you in trouble in court. I was one of the 1st on this forum to run these bad boys so I have precedent. Thanks for playing...

filtor1
09-13-2007, 12:39 AM

So what your really saying is you have no idea. You have never actually heard them and can give nothing more than hearsay? Then you attack someone for stating your hearsay as just that. Seriously, think before you post. The OP wanted to know about these speakers, yes, that is what this forum is for. Talking about something for the sake of talking without prior experience is ignorant. And for the record, an opinion based on nothing is just that, nothing.

To the OP, the Germs are awesome. I have installed and heard them with a good bit of power on them. They do get loud. Not as loud as my Powerline CS's, but they were loud. Sounded great too.

slick rick
09-13-2007, 12:43 AM
So what your really saying is you have no idea. You have never actually heard them and can give nothing more than hearsay? Then you attack someone for stating your hearsay as just that. Seriously, think before you post. The OP wanted to know about these speakers, yes, that is what this forum is for. Talking about something for the sake of talking without prior experience is ignorant. And for the record, an opinion based on nothing is just that, nothing.

To the OP, the Germs are awesome. I have installed and heard them with a good bit of power on them. They do get loud. Not as loud as my Powerline CS's, but they were loud. Sounded great too.

you had to throw in a line about the powerlines eh???:greedy:

filtor1
09-13-2007, 12:45 AM
you had to throw in a line about your powerlines eh???:greedy:

Sorry, couldn't help it. :) The ZX850.4 will be here tomorrow too. :santa:

headless
09-13-2007, 12:46 AM
I loved my Germaniums. They got loud enough to easily match my single ported 10" kicker. The only way i could make myself get rid of those Germs was to get the Power Line CS. They can utterly drown the kicker out completely. Rainbow makes good stuff. Buy it; you won't regret it. If you've got the cash and the hardware (active), go the next step up and get the Profi's. The Germaniums' crossovers really allow you to tweak the crap out of the sound - you can adjust both the tweeter and woofer x-over points independently, allowing you to underlap them, overlap them, or just shift them from 2.2 to 2.6khz to deal with vehicle accoustics. Throw in 4 levels of tweeter attenuation, one of which has a gradual low pass x-over for the tweets designed to cut out extremely high frequency sounds if your tweets are mounting next to glass and get alot of high freq reflections...
I wish my power line CS passive's had the same suite of 4 adjustments. Or bi-amp capability. The germaniums are a good deal.

You'd have to be mildly deaf or pushing a significantly beastly substage to say the germaniums don't get loud.

Edit: LOL filtor, you said what i was thinking man. I wonder if that dude has ever heard the germs. Doesn't sound like it...

filtor1
09-13-2007, 12:48 AM
I loved my Germaniums. They got loud enough to easily match my single ported 10" kicker. The only way i could make myself get rid of those Germs was to get the Power Line CS. They can utterly drown the kicker out completely. Rainbow makes good stuff. Buy it; you won't regret it. If you've got the cash and the hardware (active), go the next step up and get the Profi's. The Germaniums' crossovers really allow you to tweak the crap out of the sound - you can adjust both the tweeter and woofer x-over points independently, allowing you to underlap them, overlap them, or just shift them from 2.2 to 2.6khz to deal with vehicle accoustics. Throw in 4 levels of tweeter attenuation, one of which has a gradual low pass x-over for the tweets designed to cut out extremely high frequency sounds if your tweets are mounting next to glass and get alot of high freq reflections...
I wish my power line CS passive's had the same suite of 4 adjustments. Or bi-amp capability. The germaniums are a good deal.

You'd have to be mildly deaf or pushing a significantly beastly substage to say the germaniums don't get loud.

Are you running your CS's active?

headless
09-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Are you running your CS's active?

Nope...i need more amplifier to run them active :( and i'm a ***** about installing a third amp back there - i don't think the woofers would be up to my expectations on only 80-100watts (rainbow minimum is 150w, 180 nominal, 250w max), though i'm sure the tweets would be more than happy with that. My current plan for ultimate tweakability is to put my eclipse 4ch back in the car, use 2 channels of it to push my tweets (2x50w) then use my bridged 4150XXK (320wx2) to push the woofers. Then i've just gotta figure out what to do with my extra 2x50w on my eclipse amp. Bah. If i could bridge them and get anywhere near the power my punch 100 is putting out at .5 ohms i'd go for it and only have 2 amps, but that punch 100 is a beast. Maybe i'll just bridge them to the tweeters... 2x120w for the tweets? LOL.

I'm running mine passive on the -3db setting for the tweets and wish they were juuuust slighthtly louder. Of course, the germaniums had a -2db setting.... lol.

I did hook them up active to play with them and was impressed - it sounded like the tweeter was much stronger around the crossover point though i'm a bit hesitant to rave considering psycho accoustics and the difference in gain and bridged amp vs. not, etc.

carguy83
09-13-2007, 12:53 AM
get the germs. you won't be disappointed. :)

filtor1
09-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Nope...i need more amplifier to run them active :( and i'm a ***** about installing a third amp back there - i don't think the woofers would be up to my expectations on only 80-100watts (rainbow minimum is 150w, 180 nominal, 250w max), though i'm sure the tweets would be more than happy with that. My current plan for ultimate tweakability is to put my eclipse 4ch back in the car, use 2 channels of it to push my tweets (2x50w) then use my bridged 4150XXK (320wx2) to push the woofers. Then i've just gotta figure out what to do with my extra 2x50w on my eclipse amp. Bah. If i could bridge them and get anywhere near the power my punch 100 is putting out at .5 ohms i'd go for it and only have 2 amps, but that punch 100 is a beast.

I'm running mine passive on the -3db setting for the tweets and wish they were juuuust slighthtly louder. Of course, the germaniums had a -2db setting.... lol.

I did hook them up active to play with them and was impressed - it sounded like the tweeter was much stronger around the crossover point though i'm a bit hesitant to rave considering psycho accoustics and the difference in gain and bridged amp vs. not, etc.

Man I hate to take up this thread with us not contributing. I will bump my Powerline thread and we can chat there. :)

slick rick
09-13-2007, 12:58 AM
get the germs. you won't be disappointed. :)

and who asked you sir? when you gettin that new ARC amp in?

filtor1
09-13-2007, 01:09 AM

Well aren't you the little **** sucker tonight........ :fro: :veryhapp:

slick rick
09-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Well aren't you the little **** sucker tonight........ :fro: :veryhapp:

:santa:

carguy83
09-13-2007, 01:37 AM
soon ;)

whitemax
09-13-2007, 01:59 AM
What Arc amp are you going to be running? ...............new gear....always nice :D

As for the Germs, they are a nice set of speakers. I've been running mine since early last year and have been very happy with them.

carguy83
09-13-2007, 02:21 AM
a 4150 to be bridged to my germs. :D

more power and headroom ftw.

HemiMazda
09-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I appreciate everyone's input. I was actually looking for any kind of negativity. Everything I have read so far is all positive. Always like to have a little balance when researching. I have to say that what I have heard here is defiantly helping me make a decision. Iíll probably be ordering next week. Thanks again

tbasile1
09-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Rainbow and "Negativity" will never be used in the same sentence

whitemax
09-13-2007, 10:39 PM
a 4150 to be bridged to my germs. :D

more power and headroom ftw.

whoa....very nice :D

I appreciate everyone's input. I was actually looking for any kind of negativity. Everything I have read so far is all positive. Always like to have a little balance when researching. I have to say that what I have heard here is defiantly helping me make a decision. Iíll probably be ordering next week. Thanks again

good choice

headless
09-14-2007, 10:04 AM
The only negativity I can bring forth for the Germaniums is that they aren't the Power Line CS :)

kross
09-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Just can't help yourself, can you? Can't blame you, if I had them, I'd be bragging every chance I got, too. :D

headless
09-14-2007, 06:10 PM
it had to be done :D