PDA

View Full Version : Polk DB691 or Kicker 055KS693 for replacing stock speakers.

Remedial
09-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Newbie here. I'm on the market to purchase some speakers to replace my stock speakers in my 2007 Toyota Camry LE. My main gripes about my current speakers are that the vocals seem to be very indistinguishable sometimes and the soundstage leaves a lot to be desired. Also, the bass can get very muddy and the midrange is very prominent. Right now I just want to replace the speakers especially because one of the cones in the rear appears to be torn or something of that nature, giving off a very distorted sound sometimes. I eventually plan to replace the head unit and the amp, but just want to deal with the speakers for now.

So, to that end, I was looking at both the Polk DB691, http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polk-6-x-9-Speakers-DB691/sem/rpsm/oid/174707/catOid/-13092/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

and the Kicker 055KS693:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kicker-6-x-9-3-way-Speakers-055KS693/sem/rpsm/oid/132001/catOid/-13092/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Both of which are available at Circuit City for pickup today, which is my birthday, and seem to have good reviews. Also, the buy one get one half off will allow me to change both my front door and rear speakers at once. Finally, I hate ordering because I detest the wait, but would be willing to sacrifice if there are some speakers that are better than either of these two for a little less or the same price and deal.

I would like to know you guys' opinion on either of these. I plan to just buy the Polks but probably won't be installing them until tomorrow, so, if a flood of yays for the Kickers come in, I'll just return the Polks for those.

Lastly, as far as my research serves me, installing these speakers is basically just drop them in and connect whatever wires were previously attached to the stock speakers, correct? I ask this because I really don't plan on paying CC to install these puppies and would like to do it myself. Let me know guys. Thanks.

tbasile1
09-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Since its your birthday, treat yourself nice and make a baffle to fit a 6.5 speaker and run an amplified component set :yumyum::yumyum:

Remedial
09-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Since its your birthday, treat yourself nice and make a baffle to fit a 6.5 speaker and run an amplified component set :yumyum::yumyum:

That sounds great, but I'm not ready for running a component system as of yet. I will eventually, after upgrading my head unit and amp, but for right now I just want instant gratification.

tbasile1
09-12-2007, 05:46 PM
So you just want some decent coaxials for the time being, thats fine, good idea tho in the future to upgrade!

What is your budget?? Ill can give you some other recommendations other than Polk and Kicker

DejaWiz
09-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Pioneer REVs (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14550) 100%

Those will respond down to a fairly low frequency and sound **** good doing it.

tbasile1
09-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Pioneer REVs (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14550) 100%

Those will respond down to a fairly low frequency and sound **** good doing it.

No Deja

10000000000000000000000000000000%
:D

Remedial
09-12-2007, 07:58 PM
So you just want some decent coaxials for the time being, thats fine, good idea tho in the future to upgrade!

What is your budget?? Ill can give you some other recommendations other than Polk and Kicker

Cool. I'm not really trying to spend more than $150 for my speakers. I was also looking at the Eclipse SE8495:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Eclipse-6-x-9-4-Way-Coaxial-Speakers-SE8495/sem/rpsm/oid/146004/catOid/-13092/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

and the Alpine SPS-69C3:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7652685&type=product&id=1134701298255

tbasile1
09-12-2007, 07:59 PM
REVs FTW!!!!!

Remedial
09-12-2007, 09:23 PM
REVs FTW!!!!!'

Are you saying that I should get the REVs or not? I wasn't able to get anything today because they only had one pair of Polks at the CC that I went to. But, after that, I've been considering the Kickers more after hearing them.
'

tbasile1
09-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Yes you should get the REVs

and DejaWiz think so too, and the Wiz is a genius a very respected poster!

DejaWiz
09-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Are you saying that I should get the REVs or not? I wasn't able to get anything today because they only had one pair of Polks at the CC that I went to. But, after that, I've been considering the Kickers more after hearing them.

I say get the REVs. Your ears will thank you. :cool:

Try to find a dealer (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/dealer/locator/results/0,,2076_310069583,00.html) near you and audition them. It's likely going to be time well spent.

Remedial
09-13-2007, 12:12 AM
I say get the REVs. Your ears will thank you. :cool:

Try to find a dealer (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/dealer/locator/results/0,,2076_310069583,00.html) near you and audition them. It's likely going to be time well spent.

Well, if I can get them for around 120, then I'll get two. I see there are a couple places in my area that should carry them, so I'll check them out. If I decided to go with just one pair of the Rev's and wold like to spend the rest of my funds on something else to improve my listening experience, what would you suggest I get first: a head unit or an amp? Or should I just deal with the speakers first and foremost since they're my main problem.

I'm thinking that since my rear speakers are my main concern, I could just deal with those, leave the stocks in the front door for the mean time and go for either a head unit or amp?

Or I could just be getting ahead of myself here...

bikejunkie223
09-13-2007, 12:14 AM
I have some older Polk DB6500 components in my wife's Element, and they are decent but the tweeter is so bright it will saw your ear off- I'd go with the Kickers personally. Rev's are good too.

DejaWiz
09-13-2007, 12:24 AM
Well, if I can get them for around 120, then I'll get two. I see there are a couple places in my area that should carry them, so I'll check them out. If I decided to go with just one pair of the Rev's and wold like to spend the rest of my funds on something else to improve my listening experience, what would you suggest I get first: a head unit or an amp? Or should I just deal with the speakers first and foremost since they're my main problem.

I'm thinking that since my rear speakers are my main concern, I could just deal with those, leave the stocks in the front door for the mean time and go for either a head unit or amp?

Or I could just be getting ahead of myself here...

I'd just focus on the fronts and sub stage and forget about the rears.

If you can't afford everything at once/in close proximity, then replace things over time piece by piece like this:

If you want coaxs now:
1. Speakers
2. HU
3. Amp for speakers
4. Sub + Sub Amp

If you want a full replacement system:
1. HU
2. Comps + Amp for speakers
3. Sub + Sub Amp

...or just save up until you can afford to do it all in one shot.

tbasile1
09-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Agreed^^

Your rears are not and should not be your main focus, stick to the fronts, you sit up there and you want the good sound to come at you!!!!

You ALWAYS want to have a great frontstage before rear lol, why waste time and money on rears, rather than the fronts

Remedial
09-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Agreed^^

Your rears are not and should not be your main focus, stick to the fronts, you sit up there and you want the good sound to come at you!!!!

You ALWAYS want to have a great frontstage before rear lol, why waste time and money on rears, rather than the fronts

The only reason I'm concentrating on the rear at all is because one of the speakers sounds like the cone is torn or something of that nature. If not for that, the front door would have definitely been my main point of concentration.

antistock
09-13-2007, 02:13 PM
the pioneers are sweet, i have the tsd691r's in the rear of my grand am, however, it seems the tweet on my back right one has gone south already. not to say they are crap and dont buy them, its just one bad experience...however, they sounded kick *** when they worked. if the tsd901p's are like the tsd691r's the magnets/magnet covers and extra lil mini crossover are freaking huge...i got them into my GA but i dont think they'll come out unless i break them lol.

kicker and polk are a toss up, it depends on what kind of tweeter you like. eclipse are also a very nice speaker. any of the three are going to be leaps and bounds better then stock, i'd listen to them and take the ones that you think are better. there's no bad choice here.

tbasile1
09-13-2007, 02:42 PM
The only reason I'm concentrating on the rear at all is because one of the speakers sounds like the cone is torn or something of that nature. If not for that, the front door would have definitely been my main point of concentration.

Just fade to the front then

or get a cheap pair of coaxials to throw back there for now

Remedial
09-13-2007, 08:31 PM
the pioneers are sweet, i have the tsd691r's in the rear of my grand am, however, it seems the tweet on my back right one has gone south already. not to say they are crap and dont buy them, its just one bad experience...however, they sounded kick *** when they worked. if the tsd901p's are like the tsd691r's the magnets/magnet covers and extra lil mini crossover are freaking huge...i got them into my GA but i dont think they'll come out unless i break them lol.

kicker and polk are a toss up, it depends on what kind of tweeter you like. eclipse are also a very nice speaker. any of the three are going to be leaps and bounds better then stock, i'd listen to them and take the ones that you think are better. there's no bad choice here.

From my experience in CC, I'll say this.

The Polks would be great for someone not planning to get a sub anytime soon or don't have an amp. Great balance of all frequencies though a little mid heavy. The Kicker's have a nice top end (vocals are very pronounced) and sound wonderful with a sub. Without it, though, the high end can be somewhat piercing. For some reason the Eclipse's were kind of tame (was unable to get a lot of volume out of them) but sounded smooth. I didn't push the in-store unit too much but I was afraid that the Eclipse's might distort.

bikejunkie223
09-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Rear speakers are the devil! Down with Rear fill! When is the last time you listened to a concert behind you? If you do that then rear fill is good, or if you watch movies while you drive on the freeway eating a sandwich and talking on your cellphone, then rear fill is good, the rest of the time it is pointless IMO. My rear speaker is a sub.