PDA

View Full Version : A full F/R components a NO NO???

sirsaechao
09-12-2007, 01:37 AM
So I want to run full components in my Toyota Tacoma ext cab (front and rear) but I was told that running a rear set component in the back cab is a NO NO and I will get a full surround mono effect if I do. Can someone explain why to me that it is a bad idea to run components in the back of my truck? Or are those people that are saying NO smoking crack and I should be fine running a full set both front and rear?

DejaWiz
09-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Depends on the alignment of the mids and tweeters and the sound processing going on.

If you are running a straight stereo signal to the amp stage and your goal is sound quality and musical accuracy, then it's pretty pointless to be running more than just front left and right speakers and a sub stage, IMO.

I'd recommend you just focus on getting the best front stage you can for now. Run it that way for a while to get acclimated to it, then hook up some rear coaxs to the HU if you still need more. If it still sounds lacking, then by all means explore an amped rear stage.

My car came with factory Monsoon system which included front and rear comps (WTF was VW thinking???) and it sounded like pure crap. Sound stage and imaging was just not there.

I'm more than happy with the results of just front comps and a sub stage. Try it... you'll like it! :D

sirsaechao
09-12-2007, 12:07 PM
I hear a mix of yes and no. I have a good amp, EQ/preamp so I'm gonna try it and see if I can make it work. I know that when you go to a concert that everything like speakers is up front and nothing in the back but I like the surround sound for watchign DVD's as well.

sirsaechao
09-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Nub question. Can you mount the component tweeter in the middle of woofer and turn it into a coax speaker? I see some component setup like Boston that comes with that option to mount the seperate tweeter on the woofer if you wanted a coax speaker.

DejaWiz
09-12-2007, 12:22 PM
If they come with the mounting capability to do so, then yes.

sirsaechao
09-12-2007, 12:44 PM
If they come with the mounting capability to do so, then yes.

What if they don't? Can you still make them work some how with a custom fab tweeter mount? You see I already bought 2 sets of components and I don't want to return them cause they are discontinued so I rather make them work.

DejaWiz
09-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Yeah, you should be able to fab something up if you want to use both sets.

tbasile1
09-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Depends on the alignment of the mids and tweeters and the sound processing going on.

If you are running a straight stereo signal to the amp stage and your goal is sound quality and musical accuracy, then it's pretty pointless to be running more than just front left and right speakers and a sub stage, IMO.

I'd recommend you just focus on getting the best front stage you can for now. Run it that way for a while to get acclimated to it, then hook up some rear coaxs to the HU if you still need more. If it still sounds lacking, then by all means explore an amped rear stage.

My car came with factory Monsoon system which included front and rear comps (WTF was VW thinking???) and it sounded like pure crap. Sound stage and imaging was just not there.

I'm more than happy with the results of just front comps and a sub stage. Try it... you'll like it! :D

Agreed 1000000%

thefunkybunch
09-12-2007, 10:52 PM
get the pxa-h701, a nasty center channel, and go for it (no, not one of those cheesy little half-din center channel speakers, a real center channel). this will give you the real surround sound you're looking for. if you aren't running 5.1, then i'd ixnay the rears, and concentrate on making your front stage absolutely wicked.

just my .02

and you can use a backstrap, creatively bent to "coaxially" mount your component set.