PDA

View Full Version : where to buy egg carton foam?

tcguy85
09-11-2007, 05:35 PM
is there anywhere that i can get the egg carton foam locally? i know i can get it from partsexpress.com but the shipping costs twice as much as the little piece i need. any ideas? thanks

BASSMEKANIK
09-11-2007, 05:36 PM
wal-mart...

mapolley07
09-11-2007, 05:37 PM
a lot of people use the egg crate bed topper pads from walmart. if you use that though, you will definitely need to treat it with a mold killer and maybe scotch guard because water will get to it in your doors and it will mold/mildew

kross
09-11-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't know for sure, but I would try shipping supplies stores and mattress stores.

fwb_1234
09-11-2007, 05:46 PM
It is sold as a mattress pad material. Check there.

Gary S
09-11-2007, 05:56 PM
if you are using as damping, you don't need egg carton foam... only reason they use that in studios is to give a ratio of direct to reflected sound... as damping, you want to eliminate reflections where you put it as much as possible.

The regular 1" thick open cell foam rubber is sold from a roll... used to get it from the rag shop around here (fabric/craft store).

ngsm13
09-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Parts express.

nG

joelowrider
09-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Hankock fabrics sells it

Lil Poot
09-11-2007, 06:34 PM
if you are using as damping, you don't need egg carton foam... only reason they use that in studios is to give a ratio of direct to reflected sound... as damping, you want to eliminate reflections where you put it as much as possible.

The regular 1" thick open cell foam rubber is sold from a roll... used to get it from the rag shop around here (fabric/craft store).

so it doesn't really have any advantages over ensolite, in say, the application of putting behind your midbass drivers?

tcguy85
09-11-2007, 09:34 PM
i ordered edead vs1e and the guy on the phone said not to use egg carton foam because it will hold water and cause problems, he threw a 1 sq ft section of thier v4 in with my order and said to use that behind the speakers in the doors. he said to use a 6x6 piece and checkerboard another layer on top of that.

Gary S
09-11-2007, 10:21 PM
so it doesn't really have any advantages over ensolite, in say, the application of putting behind your midbass drivers?

- Basically, different materials are better for different jobs... the open cell foam and egg carton foam is mostly for midrange... and some road noise... something heavier, with more mass is needed for sheet metal and doors, for midbass/bass, is better for road noise... basically you need to add weight to panels to keep them from rattling/vibrating. Sometimes you want both kinds of materials, other places, just one type will do.

Might want to be careful about putting open-cell foam in doors... they are designed to leak, so the stuff might hold water... might even get moldy and smell up the car.

tcguy85
09-11-2007, 10:24 PM
-

Might want to be careful about putting open-cell foam in doors... they are designed to leak, so the stuff might hold water... might even get moldy and smell up the car.

yea thats what the guy at ED warned me about so i took his advise and got the V4 from ED.

Lil Poot
09-12-2007, 01:25 PM
- Basically, different materials are better for different jobs... the open cell foam and egg carton foam is mostly for midrange... and some road noise... something heavier, with more mass is needed for sheet metal and doors, for midbass/bass, is better for road noise... basically you need to add weight to panels to keep them from rattling/vibrating. Sometimes you want both kinds of materials, other places, just one type will do.

right, i knew about the panels, i have about 10 yards of ensolite, and 150 sq ft of raammat in my explorer, but for behind the speakers i went with 10x10 squares of open cell foam. have yet to check them for mildew after about 2 months but i haven't noticed any odors.