PDA

View Full Version : Tweeters sound "better" when I put my hand right in front of them??

Latina33
09-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I've noticed that if I put my hand up flush over the front of one of my tweeters, it seems to sound better to me....more of a fuller, brighter tweeter sound.

I've actually been considering fixating something flat to the fronts of both of my tweets so that I can get this dynamic change in sound all the time.

Does this make sense to anyone, and is there a better way to go about keeping that sound from the tweeters that I get when I obstruct them with my hand?

rtillaree
09-11-2007, 01:18 PM
huh...interesting...

nosaj070
09-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Pop off the tweeter grill and put a piece of felt in there.

revrider1
09-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Hmm, I kinda noticed that also, but never wanted to make it a constant thing...

Latina33
09-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Pop off the tweeter grill and put a piece of felt in there.

That seems like a good idea, man, but I don't think I can pop off the tweeter grill.

The tweets are CAL26 titans, and it doesn't look like the grills come off. I was thinking of a way to maybe attach small piece of plastic or something to the outside of the tweets so that the sound deflects directly off of it, creating the dynamic change I'm looking for....just not sure how to do that just yet without it looking "super ghetto".

Megalomaniac
09-11-2007, 01:29 PM
wait so you want to make your tweeter harsher?

man i hate harsh tweeters.

mapolley07
09-11-2007, 01:30 PM
if you have your tweets mounted in your a-pillars you could glass them in and attach some sort of grille over them with the felt in it.......like make the tweeter recessed into the tweeter pod and stretch felt over that, or grille cloth and your tweeters would also be somewhat stealthed into the a pillar.

like this, i will try to show you with ascii art
__
[) |

this "[)" is the tweeter and the veritical line would be grille cloth or a grille you make and you could fiberglass this so it all blends nicely.

Latina33
09-11-2007, 01:32 PM
wait so you want to make your tweeter harsher?

man i hate harsh tweeters.

No, no, not harsher at all.....when I obstruct it like that, it seems to make the tweets have a more 'full' sound.

I don't want harsher, either....if I did, I never would've gotten rid of my Focal Polyglass set of comps.

Latina33
09-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Here's how my tweets are mounted....

XaznKewLguyX
09-11-2007, 01:54 PM
maybe you should place them somewhere else. My tweets were like that too but i used the time alignment on my head unit to fix it. that is exactly where i have mine placed too.

Latina33
09-11-2007, 02:19 PM
maybe you should place them somewhere else. My tweets were like that too but i used the time alignment on my head unit to fix it. that is exactly where i have mine placed too.

Hmm, might try that....my 7998 has a pretty good time alignment feature.

Are you running your SLC's active or passive? When you're running active, and are making time alignment adjustments, do you have to turn the volume all the way down like you do when you're adjusting crossover points, or it it ok to adjust time alignment on the fly with the volume up?

erverGUDO
09-11-2007, 02:19 PM
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Here's how my tweets are mounted....

next time get some silk dome tweeters :wow:

Latina33
09-11-2007, 02:20 PM
[/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]

next time get some silk dome tweeters :wow:

I've had silk dome tweets before....not my taste.

XaznKewLguyX
09-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Hmm, might try that....my 7998 has a pretty good time alignment feature.

Are you running your SLC's active or passive? When you're running active, and are making time alignment adjustments, do you have to turn the volume all the way down like you do when you're adjusting crossover points, or it it ok to adjust time alignment on the fly with the volume up?

active, i dont even turn the volume down when im adjusting crossover points.

Latina33
09-11-2007, 02:23 PM
active, i dont even turn the volume down when im adjusting crossover points.

Really? I've heard that can mess up your mids and/or tweets if you adjust your crossover points while your volume is turned up.

Can anyone chime in and confirm either way? I'd definitely like to know....it's a real pain having to kill the volume every time I make a crossover adjustment on my HU.

XaznKewLguyX
09-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Really? I've heard that can mess up your mids and/or tweets if you adjust your crossover points while your volume is turned up.

Can anyone chime in and confirm either way? I'd definitely like to know....it's a real pain having to kill the volume every time I make a crossover adjustment on my HU.

i've beeen doing it for a year and haven't damaged any of my 2 sets of components. but eh if you want to play it the safe way... i guess you shouldnt.

headless
09-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Well, imagine how wonderful it would be to accidentally disable your crossover entirely at full blast say...to your tweeters :) Full range = blammo to the poor tweets. I wouldn't like to see what would happen to my mids if i tried to suddenly send them full range at high volume levels either...they like being crossed over ;)

Digitally adjusting the slope or x-over point on your deck shouldn't hurt the speakers as long as you don't accidentally adjust them too far...

Trey803
09-11-2007, 02:39 PM
i think your hand is just acting as an acoustic blocker and your not hearing all of the sounds your tweeters is producing. Why not just try turning the highs down a touch

Gary S
09-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Try sticky taping them in the kicks or low in the doors closer to the mids. See how that sounds.

MiniVanMan
09-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Seeing as they're directly on-axis with your right ear, I'd suggest you turn them off-axis.

They sound richer when you block them because the high end isn't nearly as pronounced. Angle them inwards and that should solve the problem.

djman37
09-11-2007, 03:43 PM
is one out of phase? or is it the sound reflecting off your hand then the windshield that brings it in to better time with your mids?

You could buy manequin hands and have the weirdest SQ setup to date.

jkulysses
09-11-2007, 04:01 PM
You could buy manequin hands and have the weirdest SQ setup to date.

LMAO, that would be freakin weird as hell!! Pretty funny though

Gary S
09-11-2007, 04:25 PM
The main problem is the tweeters are closer to the ears than the mids.

kross
09-11-2007, 04:39 PM
The main problem is the tweeters are closer to the ears than the mids.

And pointed straight at you.