PDA

View Full Version : easy question.......

adio
09-11-2007, 08:04 AM
if u buy a sub whose company recommends 2 cu ft enclosure tuned to 30Hz for a 12, and u end up putting it a 1.75 or 1.5 cu ft box with the same tuining, what happens to the sound and/or output?

Adrian15XXX
09-11-2007, 08:22 AM
good question. i would like to know myself!

JT1979
09-11-2007, 08:43 AM
U will not get optimal sound according to the maker of that subwoofer

I may have misunderstood the question though

amedeuce
09-11-2007, 10:19 AM

Depends on what subwoofer company you are refering to. Some recommend enclosures that will be loud for the sake of being loud, not necessarily optimal.

Immacomputer
09-11-2007, 11:12 AM

The user's desires and vehicle are what you design an enclosure around. How the hell can the manufacturer know what vehicle he has and what he wants out of the system?

To the OP, it depends on what sub you're talking about. Usually, a smaller box with the same tuning will have less low end output and will not be as loud around tuning. It should also peak at a higher frequency and may or may not be louder.

adio
09-11-2007, 12:48 PM
The user's desires and vehicle are what you design an enclosure around. How the hell can the manufacturer know what vehicle he has and what he wants out of the system?

To the OP, it depends on what sub you're talking about. Usually, a smaller box with the same tuning will have less low end output and will not be as loud around tuning. It should also peak at a higher frequency and may or may not be louder.

since evrybody is asking this, i'm reffering to ID subs vs AA subs/kicker/stereo integrity/FI/ any other company that recommends a bigger enclosure than ID does

Immacomputer
09-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Every sub has different parameters which makes them sound different in different enclosures. Each company designs their subs to meet certain needs. Some companies design subs to perform well in small sealed enclosures. Some design subs to perform well in larger sealed enclosures. Some companies take the middle path or design subs to perform well in ported enclosures.

You cannot compare one sub's recommended enclosure to another sub's recommended enclosure. I am having a really hard time understand what exactly you want. Can you be specific and not general?

spoonraker
09-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I am having a really hard time understand what exactly you want. Can you be specific and not general?

He's simply wondering what effect enclosure size has on sound.

Here's a better way of phrasing his question :

If all variables are the same (Amp, sub, vehicle, etc) and the only thing that changes is the volume of the enclosure, what effect does this have on the sound?

He's looking for something along the lines of "smaller sealed enclosures have a more balanced output but less volume, but larger sealed enclosures have a steeper drop off blah blah blah" btw that was just an example and in no way correct or based on anything :)

adio
09-11-2007, 10:45 PM
He's simply wondering what effect enclosure size has on sound.

Here's a better way of phrasing his question :

If all variables are the same (Amp, sub, vehicle, etc) and the only thing that changes is the volume of the enclosure, what effect does this have on the sound?

He's looking for something along the lines of "smaller sealed enclosures have a more balanced output but less volume, but larger sealed enclosures have a steeper drop off blah blah blah" btw that was just an example and in no way correct or based on anything :)

exactly;). just dealing with ported boxes

Immacomputer
09-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Well, in that case, there is no concrete answer. It 100% depends on how big of a step you take in enclosure size, the sub you're using, and what size you're starting with.

adio
09-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Well, in that case, there is no concrete answer. It 100% depends on how big of a step you take in enclosure size, the sub you're using, and what size you're starting with.

oh :)