PDA

View Full Version : 2-way vs. 3-way

Bolding220
09-10-2007, 10:53 PM
If you have room and the power do the 3-way sound better?

MiniVanMan
09-10-2007, 10:55 PM
It's more like, if you have the room, the processing power, and the knowledge a 3-way can sound better.

theothermike
09-10-2007, 11:31 PM
ill have to disagree, just for the matter of multiple variables. t/a, lvl matching, imaging, staging, etc... it much harder to make a 3 way sound good. however, if u are not a noob by any means and a veteran to all this, then it should maybe help a tad. i definately dont suggest it though otherwise.

id go 2 way in a heart beat if i could redo my system.

Mike-

jmanpc
09-10-2007, 11:32 PM
it takes some doing to get a 3-way to sound right, but when you get it right, it sounds eargasmic.

xtremekustomz
09-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Personally I think doing an active 3 way is much better than a passive. You have alot more control over the system. Either way you are still going to have to tune no matter what. There are alot of variables that come into play within every vehicle. Pathlengths, reflections, even the locations that you have to work with. I wouldn't say that it is harder to get it to sound right...I would say that it is harder with placement of drivers.

Bolding220
09-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks guys! I don't have enough knowledge yet. I'll stick with my 2-way. I have Diamond D6 6.5 comps. I am just wanting to upgrade without braking the bank.

phyphoestilic
09-10-2007, 11:42 PM
ill have to disagree, just for the matter of multiple variables. t/a, lvl matching, imaging, staging, etc... it much harder to make a 3 way sound good. however, if u are not a noob by any means and a veteran to all this, then it should maybe help a tad. i definately dont suggest it though otherwise.

id go 2 way in a heart beat if i could redo my system.

Mike-

I'd like to see how u placed ur speakers for ur 3 way.

3.5Max6spd
09-10-2007, 11:43 PM
At the same time... a 2way where a driver is trapped behind a door panel playing critical midrange isnt quite the spring chicken either...

If you can keep a midrange and tweeter together in a 3way set, I'll take a 3way everytime.

theothermike
09-10-2007, 11:50 PM
i did just that 3.5, i personally dont like it. but it might just be the cdts. i wish i went with my gut on the germaniums a year ago.

anyways i have 6.5 in deadened doors on mdf baffle with clay, i have midranges in kick panels along with tweet, stuffed with some acoustic fill to help a little.

it sounds good, but not exactly how i wish it sounded.

squeak9798
09-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Great results can be had with both.

It really comes down to the abilities of the installer/tuner and the design/cost parameters of the system.

Everything is a trade-off.......

Hebrew Hammer
09-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Great results can be had with both.

It really comes down to the abilities of the installer/tuner and the design/cost parameters of the system.

Everything is a trade-off.......

bingo!!!!

with that being said though...I'd take a 2way any day of the week...better placement possibilities...less phasing issues etc....and trust me they can be just as dynamic as a 3 way :naughty:

alphakenny1
09-11-2007, 12:08 PM
bingo!!!!

with that being said though...I'd take a 2way any day of the week...better placement possibilities...less phasing issues etc....and trust me they can be just as dynamic as a 3 way :naughty:

What do you mean better placement possibilities? 7's in the a-pillars? lol. most people aren't willing to fabricate anything in the kicks or even cut metal in the kicks to fit a 6-8" there. most people will just stick their mids in the doors if going the 2 way route. it's much easier fabricating a 4" in the pillars or kicks for example.

to answer the original question, as stated earlier depends on the installer and tuning abilities. both can be done very well.

Flipx99
09-11-2007, 12:10 PM
You can use the q-forms to put the midrange and tweeter in the kick. Midbass in the door.

Hebrew Hammer
09-11-2007, 12:39 PM
What do you mean better placement possibilities? 7's in the a-pillars? lol. most people aren't willing to fabricate anything in the kicks or even cut metal in the kicks to fit a 6-8" there. most people will just stick their mids in the doors if going the 2 way route. it's much easier fabricating a 4" in the pillars or kicks for example.

to answer the original question, as stated earlier depends on the installer and tuning abilities. both can be done very well.

it's exaclty what I said...better placment possibilies..why do you think it takes placing drivers in the dash/pilars to get good sound?

and why does it take 7's? my 5's shure as shyt do the job

audiolife
09-11-2007, 01:09 PM
i would much rather worry about placing 1 larger speaker than to deal with a door speaker and 2 others per side

alphakenny1
09-11-2007, 01:48 PM
it's exaclty what I said...better placment possibilies..why do you think it takes placing drivers in the dash/pilars to get good sound?

and why does it take 7's? my 5's shure as shyt do the job

lol i was just using 7's as an example as most people use 6.5-7 as their mid in a 2 way setup. IIRC aren't you using those 15H's? Yea it maybe a 5" but the OD is still 180mm and still to be taken into consideration when installing.

im just talking in terms of pure installation. its much much tougher to get a 5-7" mid in the kicks or the pillars or the dash. some people aren't willing to cut plain and simple.