PDA

View Full Version : Car Trouble. I think my system killed something.

chartman18
09-08-2007, 04:26 PM
I have a 2001 Ford Zx2, so yes, Ford ***** haha. But I have a 1400 watts RMS subwoofer system/amp and 8 speakers powered on another amp and etc, and my issue is, I was randomly driving down the road, and my engine cuts outs sort of, except when I go to accelerate, it slows my car down a tiny bit while revving a little too if I remember correctly. So I dont go to accelerate anymore, but while in the midst of this, my system is STILL bumping and playing, so i pulled over bc my car would not accelerate anymore.

So I turn off my system in panic, sitting my car in idle, it makes a weird/crappy stuttering engine problem, and shuts down. Tried to restart it, it does the stuttering idle then shuts off. Repeat. Then i go to jump my battery with a friends car, and didnt work at all. So I doubt its the battery, thinking its the alternator, or spark plug, or i dont know.

Can anyone help with the issue before I have to spend big bucks getting it fixed?

Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

synikalt
09-08-2007, 04:27 PM
dayum!

60ndown
09-08-2007, 04:29 PM
got gas?

chartman18
09-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Haha, got gas? I had the car filled halfway. Me and the neighbor tried out ideas. Air intake filter is clean, battery seems good. And he said he has his alternator unhooked to his battery and his car starts and drives fine, till his battery runs out of juice. Soo in this case, i dont think its the alternator, because my car isnt starting up in general. It sputters/turns over, but doesnt turn on the car itself to run.

My guess it might not be my system now, because it seemed to be running fine before, so it'd be ackward out of nowhere for my system to kill something. My electrical seems to work fine.

So i personally think its something with the fuel, fuel injector, or engine.

Any ideas?

Louisiana_CRX
09-10-2007, 02:17 AM
probally fried the computer......

chartman18
09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
What exactly do you mean by 'computer' Louisiana CRX?

And I called up a shop place, and he says by the way its described and what happened, he thinks its the alternator.

I was hoping it wasnt, but now I dont know.

Hmm.

Twistid
09-10-2007, 01:35 PM
to check if its your alternator, turn off radio, disconnect amps, (or the remote lead atleast) turn off AC, EVERYTHING that takes power

hook jumpers from another car and leave it like that for like 10 minutes, then try to jump start it... if it turns on then eventually dies again, its ur alt...

of course u can use a dmm or something similar, but thats just high tech sorcercy

goodstuff
09-10-2007, 03:31 PM
hmmm...changed your fuel filter latley? Kind of sounds like it's getting little to no gas...try spraying some ether(starting fluid) into the air intake ( after the filter) and see if it will run for a mintue....if it does then I'd bet it's your fuel filter/pump that is fuxored.

Ferendon
09-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Check the MAF as well.

How many miles on the car, and when was the last time the timing belt was replaced? You may have skipped time.

chartman18
09-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Wow, interesting. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ill research/look around at the fuel filter, MAF, and the timing belt.

Theres about 65,000 miles on the car, and I dont know when the last time the fuel filter or timing belt was replaced.

Ill also try the alternator idea with the battery.

Thanks so much guys!

goodstuff
09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
I know my accord only needed the timing belt changed every 100,000 miles but it's a ford so you must have to do it once a day lol.

audioatg
09-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Ummm did you check the coils. plug wires. plugs... I know ford truck have great amount of problems with bad coils. An Hate to say this but possible trans problem. Id go with checking the first things I talked about.

Fear Of Theive
09-10-2007, 10:48 PM
i think its the muffler bearing

chartman18
09-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Muffler bearing? Whats that do and whats a muffler relate to my car shutting down at idle, and not being able to start it again?

I dont know what to look for with 'coils' and plugs anywhere. Me and the neighbor looked at anything we could, and our guess is its the fuel filter or something to do with the fuel, because I remember I accidently pumped diesel into my moms Neon (haha, im a retard, it was my first time pumping gas) and it was being ****** at idle, and eventually died, tries to turn over, but it doesnt. So thats what mines doing, trying to turn over, but it doesnt.

Doubt its the alternator because you dont need a alternator to start the car, and the battery seems fine since I can still blare my system.

Hmm. Car trouble baffles me.

If anything, I might have to take it in the shop and have them fix it if its out of my hands.

sue bee
09-12-2007, 01:51 PM
ford sux

goodstuff
09-12-2007, 01:55 PM
i think its the muffler bearing

He's ****ing with you. No such thing.

hmmm...changed your fuel filter latley? Kind of sounds like it's getting little to no gas...try spraying some ether(starting fluid) into the air intake ( after the filter) and see if it will run for a mintue....if it does then I'd bet it's your fuel filter/pump that is fuxored.

Did you try the ether in the air intake (after the air filter)? If it runs then dies it's not getting fuel. What you are doing when you spray into the intake is bypassing the fuel pump and filter and going right into the engine with
the fuel (in this case ether).

Ferendon
09-14-2007, 03:46 AM
ford sux
What a useful opinion! Care to give a little more detail into that claim? I'm no denying that Ford *****, but at least I know why I think that way.

60k miles should put you right around due for a timing belt. Don't skimp on those, if it snaps on you, kiss your motor goodbye. At LEAST the valves and pistons will get fuxored....
Any news?

RidgelineNate
09-17-2007, 02:14 PM
my first thought was fuel filter...

timing belt ftl...at least companies are getting smart and going to a chain.

blue eyes
09-29-2007, 09:28 PM
sound like fuel filter to me did you check your flux cap....????

dillinja666
10-02-2007, 02:38 AM
at 65K on the car, i highly doubt its the fuel filter. If you dont mind setting the check engine light, pull the plug on the mass air flow. If the car starts and runs there's your problem ( its going to go into limp home mode so its not gonna run right ) it also sounds like you got a misfire going on, have you replaced your spark plugs before? pull one of the plugs and check it out, if thuy look nasty throw new ones in it, they are a cheap fix. good luck!

sorry for the long post

Ferendon
10-10-2007, 12:12 AM
my first thought was fuel filter...

timing belt ftl...at least companies are getting smart and going to a chain.
Yeah. They're going to the noisy, expensive, very destructive when they DO break chains. I'll take a belt, any day, even if I have to change it every 60k.

Again... misfire this, MAF problem that... Check the timing belt.